RMweb

Microsoft mess up again

tigerburnie

On 07 May 2019 at 15:56, tigerburnie said:

I un- installed some games they loaded on and the next day they are back again.

But with no examples, can't really help.

I uninstalled a bunch of apps and things when I first booted Windows 10.

I have NEVER had any app install itself.

Help us to help you:

Take a screenshot of the list of programs you have installed.

Take a screenshot of the processes that are currently running under your username - press CTRL, ALT and DEL keys together - the screen should have some options in the middle.  Choose "Task Manager".  It'll pop up a window.  Arrange the list by NAME by clicking on "Name".

Finally, click on the "Start up" tab and take a screenshot of that too.

Three screenshots we need to help you.

Can't help without those screenshots.

You can continue to wrongly think Microsoft is "doing something funny" but without a doubt, they're not.

Note to self: Geek uninstaller  /  Startup CPL

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

You can continue to wrongly think Microsoft is "doing something funny" but without a doubt, they're not.

Hi

Sorry but I disagree.

A couple of years ago my laptop updated and I could no longer sign in as it claimed my password was invalid. I knew 100% my password was correct. Eventually I got an on screen keyboard up on the login page (I think using accessibility settings) and clicked the relevant keys for my password and it accepted it (the same password I had been typing using the keyboard).

The reason for this was that the Windows upgrade had defaulted to the US keyboard layout and one of the characters in my password differs between the UK and US keyboard layouts. I did not make this change the Windows upgrade did.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Tigerburnie, I too removed a load of MS games that win 10 had installed on it's original installation  and have noticed recently they've come back again..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Sorry but I disagree.

A couple of years ago my laptop updated and I could no longer sign in as it claimed my password was invalid. I knew 100% my password was correct. Eventually I got an on screen keyboard up on the login page (I think using accessibility settings) and clicked the relevant keys for my password and it accepted it (the same password I had been typing using the keyboard).

The reason for this was that the Windows upgrade had defaulted to the US keyboard layout and one of the characters in my password differs between the UK and US keyboard layouts. I did not make this change the Windows upgrade did.

Cheers

Paul

Yes, but Paul, that was a small, very localised fault compared to the massive problems tiger is describing. No-one's saying the MS don't make mistakes but tiger's experience is completely abnormal and definitely caused by his machine's state (hardware/software/config).

FWIW: My little Surface tablet upgraded to Windows 10 build 1809 yesterday. I left it to it and this morning it's all back and running completely normally - with no spontaneously installed games visible.

tiger: Using your car analogy - you would have taken your car to a garage to get it fixed by now!

P.S. MS are gradually rolling out Build 1903 at the moment.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

Remember, when major updates come through, Microsoft doesn't "update" the system per se.

It'll copy certain settings and personal files elsewhere, delete the system (IE, Windows) and install afresh.

Then it'll move all the personal stuff back.

The same thing happens when you "reset Windows" while keeping files and personal folders.

Microsoft will always try and be helpful by re-enabling things you had disabled before, but on the whole, most of my settings have remained the same.

Just because you've recently seen it's back, doesn't mean it hasn't been back for a long time.

But again, I note no examples of apps... just "stuff and things".

FYI @PaulCheffus - have you removed the US keyboard completely?  Using the UK one as default isn't the same as removing the US one all together :)  Try that and see what happens in the future.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

FYI @PaulCheffus - have you removed the US keyboard completely?  Using the UK one as default isn't the same as removing the US one all together :)  Try that and see what happens in the future.

Hi

Just to be clear I never installed it in the first place. The upgrade did and I removed it again once I was able to get in.

I develop software for a living so I do know a bit about computing.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3

I don't quite understand why people assume I have done something wrong and that Microsoft are virtuous and require defending, they are a mega company seeking domination of the software market are quite clearly overstepping the mark as to what they think they can download, uninvited onto peoples computers. They have not said, "this is available" "would you like it", what they have done is invaded my computer and pretty much done what they like.....and people are afraid of Huawei????

Oh and by the way my keyboard is all over the place still as well the @ sign is now living above the 2 where the " used to live before microsofts American people changed things without even thinking of the consequences of what they are doing. If they did that in the USA I think the law suits would be longer then the list of apps I have that don't work. It just makes more determined to never buy another Microsoft product if I can help it.

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

But with no examples, can't really help.

I uninstalled a bunch of apps and things when I first booted Windows 10.

I have NEVER had any app install itself.

Have you had a look inside your computer, because mine is full of apps, mostly just headings at the moment with no content, but they are there for a reason, I am now getting flags come out of the lower right hand side of my screen almost every hour telling me that apps have tried to download and failed and that they will try again later, mostly games and spotify, they want me to buy spotify via them when I already get spotify for free and I am also being invited to shop with Microsoft to get points, when I try to disable, or uninstall, I am told I cannot.They are still asking me to join Netflix, now how is this helping me stay safe on the internet or improve my use of my pc. Had they asked would I like to have Netflix I may have viewed it in a different light to having it installed without permission and not allowing me to remove it.

Do what I did when my tablet get stuck in an endless loop of attempt update, failure to update, roll back, (repeat ad nauseam). I created a media creation tool (downloaded from MS website) on a usb stick, binned everything including reformating hard drive and did a complete reinstallation from scratch.  (See my post dated April 24th.) Haven't had an issue since. Admittedly you might have driver issues (curable) and have to reinstall any apps you installed yourself but doing that solved my issues with updates (which were nowhere near as bad as the ones you are suffering).

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

tiger,

Please take your computer to a professional and ask them to fix it for you.

Yes, probably the best solution. A professional should be able to fully uninstall everything and then reinstall with different settings so that you don't get automatic updates.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I don't quite understand why people assume I have done something wrong and that Microsoft are virtuous and require defending, they are a mega company seeking domination of the software market are quite clearly overstepping the mark as to what they think they can download, uninvited onto peoples computers. They have not said, "this is available" "would you like it", what they have done is invaded my computer and pretty much done what they like.....and people are afraid of Huawei????

Oh and by the way my keyboard is all over the place still as well the @ sign is now living above the 2 where the " used to live before microsofts American people changed things without even thinking of the consequences of what they are doing. If they did that in the USA I think the law suits would be longer then the list of apps I have that don't work. It just makes more determined to never buy another Microsoft product if I can help it.

Having the @ above the 2 is standard for a US keyboard (Also for Australia too).

Close any programs before you go further, in case Windows wants to reboot.

There is more than one setting that may affect the keyboard layout. Have you looked in Control Panel and checked these settings?

Region > English (United Kingdom)

Take a look at the date and time formats - do they seem correct? I can't be specific, because I'm in Australia and I'm NOT going to play with the options!!!!

Also 'Additional Settings' - near the foot of the screen. Take a good look around, check they are to your liking.

Change as required then click Apply and Save.

Probably at this stage it will prompt you to restart to save the settings.

I don't think that anyone is trying to defend Windows 10, but trying to assist you to fix your problems. Personally I have not had problems with a single update, since I upgraded this PC from Win 7 to Win 10. The power supply died a couple of months ago, but I don't think that had anything to do with Win 10!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

tiger,

Please take your computer to a professional and ask them to fix it for you.

Until Microsoft finish with their current shenanigans there is little point, the next set of downloads are likely to trash it again, I have left the pc running whilst doing other things, just come back to it and everything I changed has reverted, so items I uninstalled have been re-installed, they even change the screensaver, this is not a problem with me or my pc, this is totally in the hands of Microsoft and until they put things right I am loathe to touch anything of any significance as they just undo it again

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Until Microsoft finish with their current shenanigans there is little point, the next set of downloads are likely to trash it again, I have left the pc running whilst doing other things, just come back to it and everything I changed has reverted, so items I uninstalled have been re-installed, they even change the screensaver, this is not a problem with me or my pc, this is totally in the hands of Microsoft and until they put things right I am loathe to touch anything of any significance as they just undo it again

I know your frustrated, but the chance of it fixing itself or by MS are remote. Why because virtually no one else is having problems like you, otherwise it would be plastered all over the net.

Something is VERY wrong with your particular PC.

A friend of mine had trouble with his PC, years ago. He reported that he was losing all his emails. Eventually I figured out that the hard disk was dying and recommended he replaced it ASAP. He declined, because he said it 'still worked'. Later I found that an IT friend of his. had told him exactly the same thing.

No choice but to leave him to it. He wasn't short of a quid either. Go figure!

Maybe your hard disk is dying too and its trying to rebuild from old settings?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Sorry tiger but the computer is not going to put itself right no matter how long you wait.

If you get someone to fix it then all the downloads and updates will work properly, nothing will get trashed or spontaneously installed and you'll be a much happier man!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Sorry tiger but the computer is not going to put itself right no matter how long you wait.

If you get someone to fix it then all the downloads and updates will work properly, nothing will get trashed or spontaneously installed and you'll be a much happier man!

Hi

I'm inclined to agree. My laptop wouldn't boot recently due to the upgrade. I managed to do a system restore and got it running again then the next time it updated it wouldn't boot again.

Reinstalled windows and its been fine ever since.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Sorry, did you get any screenshots?

Without them, useless complaining.

I note you didn't answer the question above either, but just said there are apps with headings but no actual app - whatever that means?

Why don't you just add a screenshot of your installed programs?

• RMweb Premium

Think it was this thread I grumbled about it not shutting down properly - I've turned off fast startup and that seems to have fixed it, touch wood (I think something I was running was part of the problem but I hadn't nailed it down to what). The OS is on an SSD, I'm not finding it really any noticeably slower to start up.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2019 at 12:37, tigerburnie said:

I don't quite understand why people assume I have done something wrong and that Microsoft are virtuous and require defending, they are a mega company seeking domination of the software market are quite clearly overstepping the mark as to what they think they can download, uninvited onto peoples computers.

When you write tripe like that it's very hard to be bothered to help you - just because you are having problems doesn't mean any of the above, there are many millions of people who do not have the problems you see.

You keep getting asked for screenshots - provide them so we can see what you are seeing, frankly I'm always wary of people who rant but provide no evidence of the problem they are supposedly suffering.

I've developed software for 30+ years, got a degree in computer science and have supported various software on various platforms - so is my dad bigger than yours ? (I also dealt with the NHS for many years up to very senior manager level)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2019 at 11:56, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Just to be clear I never installed it in the first place. The upgrade did and I removed it again once I was able to get in.

I develop software for a living so I do know a bit about computing.

Cheers

Paul

Quite often the US locale is installed by default but the UK is set to the primary, an update *may* have reverted the US locale to be the primary - the US code is 001 but UK is 044 so something which isn't behaving may use the lowest locale it can find.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Quite often the US locale is installed by default but the UK is set to the primary, an update *may* have reverted the US locale to be the primary - the US code is 001 but UK is 044 so something which isn't behaving may use the lowest locale it can find.

Hi

That is indeed possible.

As far as I am aware the US locale wasn’t installed in the first place but I can’t be 100% sure.

Cheers

paul

3 hours ago, beast66606 said:

When you write tripe like that it's very hard to be bothered to help you - just because you are having problems doesn't mean any of the above, there are many millions of people who do not have the problems you see.

You keep getting asked for screenshots - provide them so we can see what you are seeing, frankly I'm always wary of people who rant but provide no evidence of the problem they are supposedly suffering.

I've developed software for 30+ years, got a degree in computer science and have supported various software on various platforms - so is my dad bigger than yours ? (I also dealt with the NHS for many years up to very senior manager level)

But you are happy to play the keyboard warrior, assuming you are out of reach...……………………….when did I ever ask for your help, or anybody else's for that matter?

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'd wholeheartedly agree with those that are advocating getting a professional to sort out your problems. But, when that's done, I'd also go one step further and suggest you learn how to do basic maintenance within Windows. Changing a keyboard layout to UK from US (for example) isn't too difficult. Also, simple maintenance and regular backups can prevent untold issues.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

I'd wholeheartedly agree with those that are advocating getting a professional to sort out your problems. But, when that's done, I'd also go one step further and suggest you learn how to do basic maintenance within Windows. Changing a keyboard layout to UK from US (for example) isn't too difficult. Also, simple maintenance and regular backups can prevent untold issues.

I did that very thing Pete, but it reverted back again, this also happened last year I think it was, and then one day it was fixed, as I did nothing to fix it, obviously Microsoft did and I trust they will do so again. I shall vacate this thread now as my venting my dismay with big business seems to be offending other people, quite why they are so offended is beyond me, if someone has a fall out with another engineer, I am not in the least bit offended as it has nothing to do with me. Once the dust settles me and my highly qualified son in law will see if anything needs adjusting to my liking and I will then do my best to deter outside interference in the future, this computer will be used solely for my photography work and will be offline for most of the time. In the mean time I am purchasing a new computer that does not use windows software.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

when did I ever ask for your help, or anybody else's for that matter?

You started a topic but obviously don't want any input therefore you just wish to make a noise.

Topic closed.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3