Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Toboldlygo's Model Works (as of 31/07/2020)

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to post these update's yesterday..

The Goods Shed went into the spray booth and came out concrete coloured..

goodsShed_14.jpg.d2bd1296993fe49bd85887bd270816bb.jpg

Plus more work on the Tempest was carried out.

Firstly I did the touch up work, which in places I've made look like touch ups - to mimic repairs in service.

Whilst the paint was drying the (Brassin) resin replacement exhaust stacks were painted and then installed. I used a two paint process on them to achieve the right kind of look (base coat was Gun Grey and then light coats of Burnt Umber).

tempest_58.jpg.36bec84b967a0dc2a607032b2b548d74.jpg

After initial masking up for the ventral invasion stripes on the lower fuselage, the white base coat was applied. I used an off-white (Insignia white), rather than pure white for this - as I feel it adds to the character of the aircraft.

tempest_59.jpg.57b5b89f3dc568fcb097e09a5cfd43e3.jpg

Once the 'white' was dry, I masked up for the two black stripe's, I did't worry about accuracy either - as the stripes would've been painted by hand originally. I also used a very dark grey (Extra Dark Sea Grey to be precise) instead of black.

Here she is after de-masking and few minor touch ups.

tempest_60.jpg.198dc6ab15d7970fab33d34923d107b8.jpg

I may well put the build so far into a couple of blog entries today - so it's an easier read.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Time for the first update of the day, I've been predominately working on the Timber Tracks Goods shed this week.

I've finished painting the interior and window frames. My Client asked on Sunday when he popped up to collect some finished items, if I could do some broken windows which I've done and fitted.

goodsShed_16.jpg.1bc380418416abf83bb928ae0a301a2c.jpg

goodsShed_17.jpg.404936111fc43809dc3c24debc475f83.jpg

I then spent most of Tuesday afternoon fitting the light to the interior. All tested before as well.

goodsShed_18.jpg.7004e75ca281c7da02a361516d6a1cf4.jpg

Yesterday was spent, painting the interior sides of the roof panels and fitting those. I also fitted some more brickwork, that couldn't be fitted till after the roof went on and had to do some repainting to blend it in.

goodsShed_19.jpg.9af7aab89e851fb5a157542c211a1de9.jpg

As I type, I've PVA'd the roof in prep for adding the roofing tiles and I'm waiting for it to dry, before tiling can start.

There will be another post, as I've also done some work on the Tempest, which feature in another update later this afternoon (as I've not edited the photo's yet).

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

How do you paint the yellow edges on the wings as they look neat to this blind man on a galloping horse ?

Go back a page and you'll see. 

Basically I sprayed the leading edges before any of the top colours, the masked the yellow edges up as I sprayed the underside, then did the same as I did the top ;) 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

So the day job's got in the way, but there's been a lot of progress on the Goods Shed..

Tiling on the roof done and valance for the good's bay dry fitted.

goodsShed_22.jpg.9d4778500c1a67caf22e349a56338266.jpg

Valance* and it's roof painted and fitted, along with other parts of the goods shed.  Chimney Stack assembled as well.

* Still only dry fitted.

goodsShed_23.jpg.60af608844e00967c46822fa8e4746ef.jpg

Goods shed masked up for the roofs to be painted.

goodsShed_24.jpg.3f6bd562085f1c8de4b36bdeea451d6f.jpg

Masking removed and parts re-dry fitted..

goodsShed_25.jpg.2894f352ad6473806f1b5ca65a0cf44d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

A brief update and a question on the engine shed..

More bits added and painted (chimney's not glued in place - more on that in a minute).

goodsShed_26.jpg.93ad50a18f9617a6505e751fd40fe1d8.jpg

The instruction's say put the chimney where I've placed, however I'm not 100% sure, so I plonked it on the office roof for comparison.

goodsShed_26B.jpg.b3caec71ea2dabd697a066ba380e2aa5.jpg

Any advice?

31 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

The instruction's say put the chimney where I've placed, however I'm not 100% sure, so I plonked it on the office roof for comparison.

Not on the Goods Shed roof, I doubt if there would be an attempt to keep the goods shed warm!

If the other end of the office is blank, I would have thought that would be the logical place for the chimney, where you have notionally placed it the roof of the goods shed would interfere with the draught and the outside door would more or less open onto the fireplace/stove.  However, in the post of the 9th September, I can just see windows so that knocks the far end on the head, though there could be a Tortoise stove feeding into a narrow chimney breast between the windows rather than a fireplace.

1929907749_Tortoisesize2s.jpg.7e12e6c091ac4f74a2a9ed12c662d595.jpg

Its a very poorly designed office!  (but not your fault!)

• Like 2

I would have thought the office would have had a stove. However I think the chimney would have to be taller than the main goods shed roof to get a decent and consistent draft?

Unless the pipe from the stove in the office was fed through the wall to the chimney on the goods shed roof?

In which case the chimney would need some supporting brickwork in the goods shed?

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Completely agree, the stack needs to be longer if its to go on the office, but I wouldn't think that a flue would be taken up through the wall to the top of the goods shed, its too complicated.  In addition to which is the problem of a stove being directly next to the outside office door and to a possible interior door to the goods shed!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2019 at 23:00, Hroth said:

Completely agree, the stack needs to be longer if its to go on the office, but I wouldn't think that a flue would be taken up through the wall to the top of the goods shed, its too complicated.  In addition to which is the problem of a stove being directly next to the outside office door and to a possible interior door to the goods shed!

Looking at the differences in height engineering brick courses on the goods shed and the office, I've come to the conclusion that office was built after the goods shed, so the office was inside the shed to begin with, but as goods traffic increased they built the new office and re-routed the fireplace/stove into the office, rather than building another chimney.

I also had a few people tell me to just follow the instructions :) 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hence why the chimney is now fitted to the shed roof!

In the meantime I've got the building phase finished on the Goods Shed.

goodsShed_28.jpg.7484793669a6c1f41761df8230ccd750.jpg

Guttering and down-pipes being added to the main shed - down-pipe brackets were made from short lengths of brass tube.

goodsShed_29.jpg.a2909d3ee499ae7b98840b62075b8427.jpg

Down-pipes all painted.

goodsShed_30.jpg.0e529895a29f4d038d17111481575727.jpg

After some paint touching up it's ready for some weathering..

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Love the goods shed, though it is a shame that it has the brick gables on the ends rather than full / half width windows as per the one at Brent or I would have been putting an order in to Timber Tracks.  My plan is to get my goods shed built this winter....

Chimney looks spot on location wise to me (at least that's where the chimney is on Brent's goods shed)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Love the goods shed, though it is a shame that it has the brick gables on the ends rather than full / half width windows as per the one at Brent or I would have been putting an order in to Timber Tracks.  My plan is to get my goods shed built this winter....

Chimney looks spot on location wise to me (at least that's where the chimney is on Brent's goods shed)

It has windows on one gable end.

goodsShed_31.jpg.13b210347f35b2bd0ba8a3cdff11fe03.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately what I need is very different (as per the below) (the other end has the same sort of window but for the full width)

goodsshed pic.JPG

Timber Tracks do produce that sort of end as part of Goods Shed D, which just leaves the centre window as the main difference.  I think I will drop them an email and see if GWR standardisation means that I could have a C kit with the D ends (and C office).  Adding the extra side window shouldn't be too difficult...

Otherwise its back to my original plan adding bricks to the above drawing and commissioning someone like York Model Making to run it through their laser.  Given the lack of internal cross bracing available I don't think my usual layered plasticard approach is as suitable as laser cut wood...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Unfortunately what I need is very different (as per the below) (the other end has the same sort of window but for the full width)

goodsshed pic.JPG

Timber Tracks do produce that sort of end as part of Goods Shed D, which just leaves the centre window as the main difference.  I think I will drop them an email and see if GWR standardisation means that I could have a C kit with the D ends (and C office).  Adding the extra side window shouldn't be too difficult...

Otherwise its back to my original plan adding bricks to the above drawing and commissioning someone like York Model Making to run it through their laser.  Given the lack of internal cross bracing available I don't think my usual layered plasticard approach is as suitable as laser cut wood...

Interesting, one thing I've noticed with the Timber Tracks kits is they are very generic and very modular in the case the Goods Shed - so it would be very easy to modify, as I will be demonstrating with 4 road engine shed I'll be recommencing building in the next month or so (you've already seen roughly half of it).

I would go down the laser cut wood approach, as once the buildings are assembled they are very strong indeed and the Timber Tracks approach to using multiple layers of mdf & ply veneers, is reminiscent of the (Wooden Wonder) Mosquito twin engined fighter bomber..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Interesting, one thing I've noticed with the Timber Tracks kits is they are very generic and very modular in the case the Goods Shed - so it would be very easy to modify, as I will be demonstrating with 4 road engine shed I'll be recommencing building in the next month or so (you've already seen roughly half of it).

I would go down the laser cut wood approach, as once the buildings are assembled they are very strong indeed and the Timber Tracks approach to using multiple layers of mdf & ply veneers, is reminiscent of the (Wooden Wonder) Mosquito twin engined fighter bomber..

Thanks for that incite,  I think an email to Timber Tracks is definitely in order to see if they are able to facilitate what I need.   The modification to the office roof should be fairly easy (especially given I have already drawn it up and hence have the necessary angles etc for the hipped roof).  adding the extra window above the door (plus the different door itself) shouldn't be too difficult either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks for that incite,  I think an email to Timber Tracks is definitely in order to see if they are able to facilitate what I need.   The modification to the office roof should be fairly easy (especially given I have already drawn it up and hence have the necessary angles etc for the hipped roof).  adding the extra window above the door (plus the different door itself) shouldn't be too difficult either.

If they could do it I'd be interested in one too.;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

If they could do it I'd be interested in one too.;)

Unfortunately its not so simple, the design they do with the required end windows is for a wider prototype, while the type D has a narrower office.....

Which coupled with the message on the Timber Tracks website about winding down the business makes me think we may be out of luck

However I don't think it would be a huge amount of work to convert the drawing into a laser cutting file so maybe getting it done myself wouldn't be so bad (and running a 2nd off to spread the set up costs would certainly help).

@toboldlygoI don't suppose you took some photos of the parts before you started, it should prove useful inspiration.

Will do some digging and report back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Unfortunately its not so simple, the design they do with the required end windows is for a wider prototype, while the type D has a narrower office.....

Which coupled with the message on the Timber Tracks website about winding down the business makes me think we may be out of luck

However I don't think it would be a huge amount of work to convert the drawing into a laser cutting file so maybe getting it done myself wouldn't be so bad (and running a 2nd off to spread the set up costs would certainly help).

@toboldlygoI don't suppose you took some photos of the parts before you started, it should prove useful inspiration.

Will do some digging and report back.

Scroll back a few pages, I've done a fairly detailed build - though I may do a blog entry..

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile on the workbench, there's been a lot of activity - a lot of which is embargoed (blame the Grand Inquisitor for that).

I've been working on a batch of Maunsells - here's one of them...

rc_inWorks_01.jpg.8f51b3dd711280b74a88bbb5f3c56e7b.jpg

and a King..

6016_inWorks_01.jpg.5eb28d76b93c0f8defd0297479b5c71e.jpg

• Like 5