Smoke deflectors on 'Black Five'?

Trev52A

Not sure if this topic should be raised here or on the 'Preservation' section, but here goes:

Looking through a May 1979 copy of 'Railway Magazine' I came across a picture dated 23rd April 1978 of 4767 'George Stephenson' on the NYMR - but fitted with smoke deflectors, although this was not mentioned in the caption. They had certainly been removed by the end of May 1978 when I photographed it at Grosmont.

Does anyone have any info on this, or better still, some pictures to share?

Many thanks in advance

Trevor

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Then there was the famous steam engine covered in wallpaper for an advertisement in the mid ‘60’s. I forget, but I think it was a Black Five. 

Rob.

It was a Black 5, being used to advertise Solvite wallpaper paste. It filmed on the Keighley and Worth Valley,a bit later than the mid-1960s. This was some time before BR started mixing it with sand to make Sandite.

• Thanks 1

There was a Black Five at Willesden in about 1963 that had  an Esso cardboard "I've got a tiger in my tank" tiger tied onto the smoke box... I kid you not!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/05/2019 at 20:29, Trev52A said:

Not sure if this topic should be raised here or on the 'Preservation' section, but here goes:

Looking through a May 1979 copy of 'Railway Magazine' I came across a picture dated 23rd April 1978 of 4767 'George Stephenson' on the NYMR - but fitted with smoke deflectors, although this was not mentioned in the caption. They had certainly been removed by the end of May 1978 when I photographed it at Grosmont.

Does anyone have any info on this, or better still, some pictures to share?

Many thanks in advance

Trevor

On shed at Grosmont. Date I took the image lost.

george_smoke_def.jpg

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and replaced post crash.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2019 at 12:06, Steamport Southport said:

My memory from volunteering back then is that it was for filming a Martini advert. Don't recall ever seeing the advert though. 

• Informative/Useful 1