Missed the boat

TTDB

I'm suspecting there may have been some form of support or sponsorship for the production from DRS, which could explain why there are so many different DRS-liveried ones - I'm not complaining, it looks great - style and livery.

TPE obviously weren't involved, only as far as 'permission' to produce a replica - production rights, that's all.

There was no 'definite hope' given by Dapol when I contacted them asking just that - if any more would be produced, simply replying they've no plans at the moment.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I'm suspecting there may have been some form of support or sponsorship for the production from DRS, which could explain why there are so many different DRS-liveried ones - I'm not complaining, it looks great - style and livery.

TPE obviously weren't involved, only as far as 'permission' to produce a replica - production rights, that's all.

There was no 'definite hope' given by Dapol when I contacted them asking just that - if any more would be produced, simply replying they've no plans at the moment.

Al.

Of course they weren’t involved, the TPE livery didn’t exist when Dapol launched their class 68. The initial batch was two DRS, two Scotrail and one limited edition DRS for DRS themselves.

Roy

I had a reply from the seller of 'the other 21-pin blanking plates saying they're not compatible with the 68.

Fitting looks the same, so may be 'playing safe'.

Can anyone advise if this one above - which I have purchased - will be OK?

Yes, I've asked Dapol the same question.

Al.

image.png

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Premium

The first release of Class 68s in OO Gauge by Dapol in 2016 was as follows: 

68001, 68002 & 68005 in DRS "Swoosh"

68006 & 68007 in ScotRail

68010 & 68014 in Chiltern Railways 

Of note is that 68001 is the Limited Edition model sold by DRS through their website and at open days etc. 

68001, 68002 & 68005 in DRS had the livery incorrectly misplaced on one side of the bodyshell. This was then rectified by Dapol as they produced new bodyshells with the livery correctly placed on each side and offered a swop scheme. 

With regards to TPE Class 68s one way to look at the situation is that Dapol have produced 010, 014 & 015 in Chiltern Railways silver and grey and their isn't even any ready to run coaching stock or DVT to run with them. So I would highly anticipate that further TPE numbers and names will be released in due course seen as though Accurascale are producing MK5 coaches and the Driver Trailer (DT) also in TPE livery of which will operate together in reality for several years to come. 

I was also told by Dapol that they have intentions of producing every running number of the Class 68s in OO Gauge, so their is most certainly plenty more still to come and for those that have missed TPE 68019, you don't need to worry. 

Hope this helps. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That helps a lot - nearly half of the 68's are TPE anyway - OK perhaps 40%.

Al.

You are most welcome. 

So it's pretty much guaranteed that their will be further TPE numbers and names. But for Dapol to do another production run their has to be other liveries produced alongside it. As they have already produced several in DRS "Swoosh", x2 in ScotRail, x3 in Chiltern, x1 in DRS Basic and x1 in TPE at the moment their isn't really any other liveries apart from TPE in demand, which means that at the moment another run won't happen. Several retailers also have all of the above liveries left too, except for TPE which appears to be sold out now in OO Gauge, although the quantity does vary between individual retailers. So until Dapol think that some of the other liveries are in demand again their won't be any further TPE variants. Also some might say for Dapol to do another run just containing TPE variants, but again this wouldn't work due to the point above, regarding other liveries required to be produced in the same batch. Besides I can't imagine say x4 different TPE variants selling that well anyway, in the same batch/production run. 

If you would like some other 68s to work with Accurascale's MK5 & DT stock then consider 68026 in DRS Basic and 68034 in DRS "Swoosh". 026 although now in TPE livery in reality, I'm sure was used with TPE stock on training/familiarisation runs, so that's prototypical. Also 034 will be used alongside 033 and the TPE liveried 68s in reality to cover for when the TPE 68s require maintenance, repairs and exam. I have 034 as well as 019 and I am considering buying 026 because of the above reason and because it worked on various freight flows in the DRS Basic livery. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
to correct a typo

Well you wouldn't 'Adam and Eve' it, or probably would. ...

I didn't like the 'Bachmann generic' blanking plates on offer on Ebay - probably perfectly OK, but seem to have a lot of solder here and there ....

Typical of Rails, the locomotives was 'won' on Saturday and has already arrived - and comes complete with blanking plate anyway!!

ALSO ...

The plate looks identical to the one I purchased at a reasonable price off Ebay anyway ...

Sort of win, win I reckon ...

Al.

Found a 'quiet 5 minutes' in the office, so off came the body, GENTLY prised the DCC chip out and replaced with the blanking plate - same manner - perfect fit.

Once home, I tested on a small 'test straight' - runs SUPERBLY - as expected, EXCEPT ... the directional lights only work at no.1 end - nothing the other end.

Used to Hornby's Class 56 and how to resolve that I initially gently tapped the body, then realised there are no extra contacts ...

Body came off again, and no less than 5 dip switches were there.

Not the clearest of instructions - biased for the DCC locomotive it is, but I soon figured it out - directional at both ends again.

PERFECT locomotive - just waiting for Accurascale to come up trumps!!

Hopefully Hornby will get their act together and put the TPE livery on their 800 to make the 802/2, possibly next year - wish list on that one.

Just weighed it - NO extra weighting added and I've certainly no intention with this weight - 695g !!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Found a 'quiet 5 minutes' in the office, so off came the body, GENTLY prised the DCC chip out and replaced with the blanking plate - same manner - perfect fit.

Once home, I tested on a small 'test straight' - runs SUPERBLY - as expected, EXCEPT ... the directional lights only work at no.1 end - nothing the other end.

Used to Hornby's Class 56 and how to resolve that I initially gently tapped the body, then realised there are no extra contacts ...

Body came off again, and no less than 5 dip switches were there.

Not the clearest of instructions - biased for the DCC locomotive it is, but I soon figured it out - directional at both ends again.

PERFECT locomotive - just waiting for Accurascale to come up trumps!!

Hopefully Hornby will get their act together and put the TPE livery on their 800 to make the 802/2, possibly next year - wish list on that one.

Just weighed it - NO extra weighting added and I've certainly no intention with this weight - 695g !!

Al.

Don't forget Bachmann on their class 350.

Doubtless it will be a superbly detailed model, but doesn't interest me to be honest - fortunately.

Not too keen on Bachmann multiple units after having owned a 221 Super Voyager - no power, too slow - particularly when alongside a Super Detail Hornby HST or even the Pendolino.

Never like to 'max' a model just to approach the speed it should be going. With the Hornby duo you can run at 70% and probably be too fast with my HM2000.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Doubtless it will be a superbly detailed model, but doesn't interest me to be honest - fortunately.

Not too keen on Bachmann multiple units after having owned a 221 Super Voyager - no power, too slow - particularly when alongside a Super Detail Hornby HST or even the Pendolino.

Never like to 'max' a model just to approach the speed it should be going. With the Hornby duo you can run at 70% and probably be too fast with my HM2000.

Al. 

Are you sure it is the 221 that is too slow, not the HST that is too fast? Many Hornby models are set up for an over-the-top max speed.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

What I mean ... is that to attain / approach a service 100 mph if lucky, the 221 (cleaned, oiled, and NEW motor for that reason) was cranked to maximum, and could achieve an equivalent, perhaps, 90-95 mph - certainly not 100 mph.

The Pendolino and HST ARE too fast - probably getting close to 150 mph if you can WITH a full load, so can be backed off quite a lot.

That was the point.

The Bachmann 221 is superbly detailed, and looks great, but in operation I found 'very frustrating'. I hate having to 'max' anything; saving a bit for if/as/when absolutely necessary, which on model railways is generally never.

Al.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 22:12, atom3624 said:

Al.

You are correct. The DRS model shows all the hallmarks of corporate sponsorship. One is the reluctant and unprecedented bodyshell replacement program (someone outside Dapol was obviously was seriously upset by the error to have forced this through).

This is part of the reason why the TPE is appears to be in short supply. First, there was no sponsor involvement or control. Second, production was kept at pre-order levels only (or even actually reduced), this would be because Dapol  would have known about the impending announcement of the Accurascale Mk5 coaches. Initially, it seems peculiar that Dapol did not increase quantities to take full advantage of the  obvious increase demand. But, they would also have known Accurascale will get the colours of the coaches spot on right. This would highlight the problems with Dapols version of the TPE livery (its been commented elsewhere that there are issues and compromises). They feared the resulting outcry for replacement bodyshells would cost dearly and knowing that they were previously forced to set a precedent, they artificially restricted sales to limit the risks and losses.  It was a profit on sales Vs costs of replacement calculation and  there was no sponsorship to sweeten the blow.

It maybe that when they receive a sample of the Accurascale coaches they will copy the color correctly. Only then will they announce another batch. Maybe even along with replacement bodyshells? Time will tell if they try to charge for these.

Also, I think lack of sponsorship explains Dapols reluctance to produce a class 88, but maybe someone with a patented pantograph has already taken the initiative?

Regarding the TPR livery. It was pointed out to Dapol at the EP stage but even then it was too late to fix. Like the Oxford issues with their Mk3s, the Intercity and Scotrail livery is way off to what Hornby and the rest nailed decades ago.

I have every faith in Accurascale getting the TPE livery right as the lads have to get the right shade of orange, tan and golden brown on the IRM A class range. If they can do the A class liveries right then the TPE MK5s will be a cake walk. :biggrin_mini:

Edited by Fitzer

1 hour ago, Edward Blue said:

You are correct. The DRS model shows all the hallmarks of corporate sponsorship. One is the reluctant and unprecedented bodyshell replacement program (someone outside Dapol was obviously was seriously upset by the error to have forced this through).

This is part of the reason why the TPE is appears to be in short supply. First, there was no sponsor involvement or control. Second, production was kept at pre-order levels only (or even actually reduced), this would be because Dapol  would have known about the impending announcement of the Accurascale Mk5 coaches. Initially, it seems peculiar that Dapol did not increase quantities to take full advantage of the  obvious increase demand. But, they would also have known Accurascale will get the colours of the coaches spot on right. This would highlight the problems with Dapols version of the TPE livery (its been commented elsewhere that there are issues and compromises). They feared the resulting outcry for replacement bodyshells would cost dearly and knowing that they were previously forced to set a precedent, they artificially restricted sales to limit the risks and losses.  It was a profit on sales Vs costs of replacement calculation and  there was no sponsorship to sweeten the blow.

It maybe that when they receive a sample of the Accurascale coaches they will copy the color correctly. Only then will they announce another batch. Maybe even along with replacement bodyshells? Time will tell if they try to charge for these.

Also, I think lack of sponsorship explains Dapols reluctance to produce a class 88, but maybe someone with a patented pantograph has already taken the initiative?

Dapol do a certain amount of corporate sponsorship . I know for a fact that they had an arrangement with Freightliner whereby a quantity of suitable N gauge 66s could be bought as corporate give-aways for the company sponsoring a locomotive naming (I know this cos I've got one , from when I worked for a carrier...)

If DRS had their own Limited Edition 68 as a corporate marketing/promotional exercise this implies something similar was in place with them . No doubt DRS major clients were given a Dapol 68 in a glass case...

14 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I know for a fact that they had an arrangement with Freightliner whereby a quantity of suitable N gauge 66s could be bought as corporate give-aways for the company sponsoring a locomotive naming (I know this cos I've got one , from when I worked for a carrier...)

No doubt DRS major clients were given a Dapol 68 in a glass case...

I believe it was the late lamented Dave Jones who actually brokered the agreement, no doubt DRS considered his pitch to be convincing.

However, Dapol are now seeing such lucrative enhancements moving to more punctilious manufacturers (Mk 5 coaches, etc.) Such errors and carelessness offer the sponsors image no favors.

Without introducing  too much thread drift, it will not be co-incidental that the Rails Terrier went directly back into the tool room after being unveiled.