RMweb

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

Talking of Golfs, this is from the media here last week:

At 9:30am on Monday, November 7, 2022, a man was charged after allegedly being caught travelling at 280km/h on the Hume Highway, about an hour south of Sydney.

The area of the Hume Highway near Mittagong where the driver was allegedly detected at 280km/h has a posted 110km/h speed limit.

Police claim a 22-year-old male was driving a blue Volkswagen Golf at the time he was travelling more than double the speed limit.

Police officers directed the vehicle to pull over and issued a court attendance notice for ‘drive speed/manner dangerous’ and he is due to appear in Moss Vale local court next month. The man’s driving privileges were withdrawn at the scene.

Travelling at more than 45km/h over the speed limit is considered a serious speeding offence by NSW Police and carries with it a maximum fine of $3300 and instant six-month licence suspension.

It will be up to the courts whether the alleged offender is charged with a Hoon offence on top, potentially in the areas of excessive speed or street racing.

Volkswagen does not claim an official top speed for the 235kW/400Nm, AWD, Mk8 Golf R, but German YouTuber Automann.TV legally hit a GPS verified 277km/h in one example on a section of Autobahn.

image.png.e7934b38bc88e2c1b75900e7ca3d37e8.png

So if nothing else, looks like he broke the Mk8 Golf R speed record.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, steve1 said:

This was parked at my nextdoor neighbour’s house. Ferrari Roma. (I had to look it up.)

steve

B1E5FF08-45B7-4BB4-8D6B-A99F2964E6D4.jpeg84CF3FEA-775C-4227-B7CC-138040021155.jpeg

I'm surprised at the mounting of the front number plate.  It must be very difficult to read from most angles.

Adrian

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that must be just about the shortest MOT fail! Went to collect Hamish the Honda, they'd just printed off the fail certificate, failed on "windscreen washer not working Front", strange, as I'd used them on the way down to the test centre. Turns out they couldn't find out how to work them (pull the windscreen wiper stalk towards you!), worked first time, had to go back in to produce a pass certificate! Youngsters, eh!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hobby said:

Well that must be just about the shortest MOT fail! Went to collect Hamish the Honda, they'd just printed off the fail certificate, failed on "windscreen washer not working Front", strange, as I'd used them on the way down to the test centre. Turns out they couldn't find out how to work them (pull the windscreen wiper stalk towards you!), worked first time, had to go back in to produce a pass certificate! Youngsters, eh!

Your joking?  Loads of vehicles use that method…….were they looking for a pump nipple on the floor 🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I think I can live with that, if anything it's rather funny and won't affect value once they've looked at the reason.

some owners get quite upset by advisories or silly little failures 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, big jim said:

Had the ZT MoTd last week only advisory was brake pipes covered in grease so I was happy with that on an almost 20 year old car

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, big jim said:

I'm not a perfectionist so it doesn't worry me... It's passed and good for another year, that's all that matters... As for the Rover 216 sitting on the drive, that's a work in progress...

Edited by Hobby
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2022 at 19:58, boxbrownie said:

It is in Black yes, surprised it hasn’t been wrapped in a matt grey/black as seems to be the craze now.

As it happens, his Range Rover has a matt black wrap.

Despite this, he’s a really good bloke!

steve

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, big jim said:

Saw this in crewe yesterday, a bit rough and ready, rear arches a bit rough but don’t see many estate rovers about now @russ p

64DDAA7D-042E-4351-A02E-3C90523DA5CC.jpeg.bf3b2298099fe13bb595ee14d4e8f2aa.jpeg

A check on the dvla site says a 416 from Sept 1997 (R reg) was MOT’d 1 Dec and only 78k miles on the clock 

I do like those, there wasn't that many made. When I bought my ZT four years ago I looked all over for one to no avail. I know a lad who is building a K series turbo one 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 21:55, figworthy said:

I'm surprised at the mounting of the front number plate.  It must be very difficult to read from most angles.

Adrian

No worries really...   most other road users will only get a view of the rear number plate.   😆

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, peanuts said:

Surprise today on a delivery new model Honda Jazz 1.3 turbo required 8 spark plugs four a little fourpot not just that they specified hi spec plugs cost of parts £240 ! OUCH !  

What is it with plugs , my missus has one of those MG3s that was nearly 100 quid for plugs I got a set of genuine ones for the maestro 8 quid!