The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

That would end up rocking on some of the speed humps round here...

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2024 at 15:43, steve1 said:

Doesn’t seem to be many of these about.

steve

BD2E4DC4-4E21-49FD-9B4F-EA2F7896A1E3.jpeg

It doesn't help that prices have dropped below the £2K mark but people buying a cheap modern classic might be reluctant to pay the £675 yearly tax (I was looking at an 06 plate car down the road from me)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ryde-on-time said:

It doesn't help that prices have dropped below the £2K mark but people buying a cheap modern classic might be reluctant to pay the £675 yearly tax (I was looking at an 06 plate car down the road from me)

A barn find for the 2040s if it escapes the crusher..... 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

That would end up rocking on some of the speed humps round here...

I’d certainly want to have the doors unlocked before I drove it over a level crossing. Maybe have the windows open too.

Ford are pushing the F-150 here (No 1 selling car in the US). I spotted one in Bunnings yesterday so compared it with  the ute (based on the Omega-sized  Commodore, which was the No 1 selling car in Australia back in the day....). 

For all that extra hardware,  the tray (tub) of the Ford  is just 81mm longer than the Holden.

image.png.ac95cb4744148c3946580df12809a103.png

image.png.50d8826d5b4c39482f9971d7fd7cbd4c.png

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ford are pushing the F-150 here (No 1 selling car in the US). I spotted one in Bunnings yesterday so compared it with  the ute (based on the Omega-sized  Commodore, which was the No 1 selling car in Australia back in the day....). 

For all that extra hardware,  the tray (tub) of the Ford  is just 81mm longer than the Holden.

Yellow one looks nicer

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 30801 said:

Red one can park

Would you want to park any closer!?  (Just pulled in there to take the piccies, I didn't want the Ford owner to come back and put a dent in my door).

But, I AM looking forward to seeing two of them parked side by side and trying to get the doors open.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You know the Yanks, all mouth...no trousers. FFS their "performance" cars only know how to go in a straight line.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Classsix T said:

You know the Yanks, all mouth...no trousers. FFS their "performance" cars only know how to go in a straight line.

C6T.

The V car floor pan was definitely a good handler,  been part of some great cars.

I have had 5.

Police cars often used them, the Holdens were v cars. Basically a German designed floor pan with a souped up small block Chevvy engine, via AFAIR TWR.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MJI said:

Police cars often used them, the Holdens were v cars. Basically a German designed floor pan with a souped up small block Chevvy engine, via AFAIR TWR.

True up until  2006 Holden when  went their own way   with   a complete  platform redesign from the ground up, so any VE or VF Commodore   has no relationship with, Opel, Vauxhall etc. 

As for performance, a standard  2013 VF SSV Redline  ute (mine is the earlier VE version with a 6.0 rather than 6.2L)  lapped the Nürburgring Nordschleife in 8:19.47 -  AND you can put  a load of topsoil  or a washing machine  in the back. (Though not recommended during Nürburgring runs...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

43 minutes ago, MJI said:

The V car floor pan was definitely a good handler,  been part of some great cars.

I have had 5.

Indeed, it took a European influence to make a decent handling motor.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

True up until  2006 Holden when  went their own way   with   a complete  platform redesign from the ground up, so any VE or VF Commodore   has no relationship with, Opel, Vauxhall etc. 

As for performance, a standard  2013 VF SSV Redline  ute (mine is the earlier VE version with a 6.0 rather than 6.2L)  lapped the Nürburgring Nordschleife in 8:19.47 -  AND you can put  a load of topsoil  or a washing machine  in the back. (Though not recommended during Nürburgring runs...)

It did allow British people to genuinely choose a team in Australia touring cars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Took Dom’s MX5 for it’s mot this morning and as suspected it didn’t pass and won’t do without major work being carried out so he’s going to have to scrap it, I didn’t think it would pass when the mot tester poked his thumb through the suspension rail under the bonnet! 
IMG_5086.jpeg.81fccdcbe51bbe8aace366f72872bc4f.jpeg

the welding and rear calliper, discs and pads would be a good £1000 of work and that before he even thought about the rotten rear arches that are currently covered in duck tape for the MOT! 

Dom’s gutted but it’s not like he wasn’t expecting it, just need to find a new car now, he’s had good use out of the MX5 though, he bought it in April last year for £600 and we used it to drive round in practicing until he passed his test in August so he’s had 6 months driving on his own in it and has been to places like Carlisle and Portsmouth a few times in it, we’re going to sell it as spares or repairs on eBay and sell the hard top separately, he certainly won’t be out of pocket by the time they have been sold on, and fair dos to him he always said his first car would be an MX5 and it was!

seen a few interesting replacements about, there’s an NC for £3k at a local farm (which I think is too much) and a bit further up the road is a smart roadster for £2.1k but I don’t know anything about them to know what to look for regards faults or issues 

the guy we got the Mazda off (and a few of my previous cars) is getting a mini convertible in tomorrow 10 plate for less than £1k which I think might be worth a look too

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, big jim said:

Took Dom’s MX5 for it’s mot this morning and as suspected it didn’t pass and won’t do without major work being carried out so he’s going to have to scrap it, I didn’t think it would pass when the mot tester poked his thumb through the suspension rail under the bonnet! 

the welding and rear calliper, discs and pads would be a good £1000 of work and that before he even thought about the rotten rear arches that are currently covered in duck tape for the MOT! 

Dom’s gutted but it’s not like he wasn’t expecting it, just need to find a new car now, he’s had good use out of the MX5 though, he bought it in April last year for £600 and we used it to drive round in practicing until he passed his test in August so he’s had 6 months driving on his own in it and has been to places like Carlisle and Portsmouth a few times in it, we’re going to sell it as spares or repairs on eBay and sell the hard top separately, he certainly won’t be out of pocket by the time they have been sold on, and fair dos to him he always said his first car would be an MX5 and it was!

seen a few interesting replacements about, there’s an NC for £3k at a local farm (which I think is too much) and a bit further up the road is a smart roadster for £2.1k but I don’t know anything about them to know what to look for regards faults or issues 

the guy we got the Mazda off (and a few of my previous cars) is getting a mini convertible in tomorrow 10 plate for less than £1k which I think might be worth a look too

That's a shame Jim 

You don't want an MGf do you? Absolutely solid but needs mot and has a bit of micro blistering 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, russ p said:

That's a shame Jim 

You don't want an MGf do you? Absolutely solid but needs mot and has a bit of micro blistering 

funnily enough I’ve spotted one on eBay that looks tidy and he has mentioned them before so yes maybe! 

awful seat covers! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256410458350?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fzjDfw-3RI6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=TJORlFVXTTy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by big jim

2 hours ago, big jim said:

The NB is bad for rust. Some of the Yorkshire Car Restorations youtube videos can let you know where they rust.

NC is a lot better for rust (although still not perfect - the visible sills are plastic covers to hide things). Value will depend on condition, engine, etc so not sure if £3k is OK. Nice 2L sport for £3k I would grab, leggy 1.8 I wouldn't want.

Think the Smart Roadster is auto only.

All the best

Katy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Yes and it dates from the time when Smart gearboxes were aaaaaaawful.

By the time they offered a dual clutch auto and the option of a manual the Roadster was gone.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

The NB is bad for rust. Some of the Yorkshire Car Restorations youtube videos can let you know where they rust.

NC is a lot better for rust (although still not perfect - the visible sills are plastic covers to hide things). Value will depend on condition, engine, etc so not sure if £3k is OK. Nice 2L sport for £3k I would grab, leggy 1.8 I wouldn't want.

All the best

Katy

yeah it’s gone in the usual places, as I say it’s no surprise and was fully expected 

As soon as the guy said £3k for the NC I pretended to still be interested but it was a definite no from me, a grand too much in my eyes 

the smart is indeed an auto with flappy flappy gear change on the steering wheel 

I can see him getting another NB to be honest but ‘frying pan and fire’ springs to mind, if he can get one with a long MOT not an issue really but anything short is just asking for trouble and we’ll see the same problems again come MOT time 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

funnily enough I’ve spotted one on eBay that looks tidy and he has mentioned them before so yes maybe! 

awful seat covers! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256410458350?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fzjDfw-3RI6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=TJORlFVXTTy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Those seats are awful.  Mine are red and black leather

• RMweb Gold

There’s an NB I’m watching on ebay that’s ending tonight with no bids at £1500 (or best offer) 

looks tidy enough, no rust on the arches in the pics but this has raised alarm bells for me, the 2019 MOT, nothing major on the pass sheet…….

IMG_5102.jpeg.d57bb81e31816614675e6a03921ce3c6.jpeg

but then look at the failure sheet from the same day, with the same mileage showing (it continues off the scrolled page too!) 

IMG_5103.jpeg.a7108d654a72e197dd9965999f9724d4.jpeg

Something isn’t right there, none of the above failures appear on any further MOTs and there’s no way all that work would be carried out in a day had it been done

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The NB MX5's suffer from rust (front chassis rails, sills and rear arches especially) but are mechanically robust

The NC MX5's suffer rust just a badly but the 1.8 and 2.0 litre engines are also a weak point, there are always plenty of cars for sale where the bottom end of the engine has failed

The good thing now with the NB is the values  seem to be rising slightly, my colleague a work is getting the front chassis rails welded on her NB at the moment (about £600) but it's value has probably gone up by at least that amount in the couple of years she's owned it