How do you pronounce Heljan?

MGR Hooper!

We had the same sort of discussion with ViTrains.

There is no eye in ViTrains.

It's Vee  with short emphasis on the ee, similar to little "I " (as in ink).

They are named after the city they were founded in, Vicenza.      Vi-chen- tsah.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 1

It grates when I hear some of us Brits mispronouncing the "City of Angels".

There is no fri**in' "eeze" in LA.

Mrs Ron gets irked when I pull her up on mispronouncing Dubai.

She says Dew-Bye and not Du-Buy. 

Being naughty and deliberately provocative, I say "there are probably no Jews in Dubai".

...then I run for cover......

15 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

We had the same sort of discussion with ViTrains.

There is no eye in ViTrains.

It's Vee  with short emphasis on the ee, similar to little "I " (as in ink).

They are named after the city they were founded in, Vicenza.      Vi-chen- tsah.

Quite right but it jars with “Auntie Vi” (V-eye), a term in much affectionate use at the time Auntie’s 37s and 47s were common.

In a certain country that nestles between Germany and Belarus I've heard Peco become Petso and Piko is Pee-ko, with a hard emphasis on the i sound and a short o  (which is hard to write phonetically)

Oh and it's Helyan to me. But then I've been indoctrinated into turning Js into Ys in any language other than English and French

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/06/2019 at 22:10, Ron Ron Ron said:

It grates when I hear some of us Brits mispronouncing the "City of Angels".

There is no fri**in' "eeze" in LA.

For this we have to thank Arlo Guthrie who spent many hours on stage “Coming into Los Anj-el-eeeez” ;)

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2019 at 14:43, SM42 said:

In a certain country that nestles between Germany and Belarus I've heard Peco become Petso and Piko is Pee-ko, with a hard emphasis on the i sound and a short o  (which is hard to write phonetically)

Oh and it's Helyan to me. But then I've been indoctrinated into turning Js into Ys in any language other than English and French

Andy

Of course the one that really grates in Poland (and probably Germany as well) as soon as you've spent any time there is hearing Anglophones (particularly Americans) pronouncing places names with a 'w' as W instead of V - Kraków in particular tends to come out as Crack-ow instead of Krak-uf.

The funniest I've ever heard was in Nice airport though, when, on approaching the departure passport queue we heard a very loud American voice exclaim "Look - To US passports". Which I guess was technically correct, along with every other destination, as the sign said, in French, "Tous Passeports"

• Funny 1

The British family getting on a bus at the airport in an Italian city with a dodgy tower asking for 3 tickets to Pizza was quite amusing.

Don't even start me on shitake mushrooms.

What's really important is however you pronounce Heljan (Yay! back on topic,) as long as people understand what you are blathering on about, it doesn't matter too much, (Well perhaps more to the Danes ) and pronouncing it with a y in the middle when you are not Danish (did we establish the Danish pronounciation?) or from the further parts Europe, probably makes people think you are a pretentious twit.

As a small digression, Mrs SM42's best was asking what "Krevy" was like as a town.

It took a while to realise she meant Crewe.

I can't go up the M6 now without silent chuckle around junction 16

Andy

• Like 1