How do you pronounce Heljan?

MGR Hooper!

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Same problem with "Braun" I say "brown" having a spattering of German but get blank looks when I use it.

Oh! You mean "Brawn" when queried.

I suppose I should say No you mean "brown"

My name's Brown and when I checked into a hotel in Germany they spelt my name Braun on all the documents. Then proceeded to talk to me in German as if I was one of them. My level of German is buying beer (or is it bier?) and a few phrases at best.

As for pronouncing Heljan. Being a Liverpool supporter that's easy as we had The Great Dane - Jan Molby.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

14 minutes ago, Sir Madog said:

The first being something like "pee-koh", the latter more like "pick-oh?

hallo,

here in Germany I hear Peco as pay-co and Piko is pronounced Pea-co

So I won't mention Ikea.....

damn, I mentioned it

es grüßt 

pc

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

You say Kayto, I say Kahto

Strictly speaking it is Sekisui Metal Co. Ltd, but the name comes from Mr Kato the founder, so Kah-toh (hard o) is the correct way of pronunciation. That said, Kayto seems universal enough...a certain film involving pink felines has probably not helped matters of pronunciation...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Huawei...

Huey as in the band or helicopter or someone being sick (not chuck)

So who pronounces Dacia Dach-a?

Edited by AeBor
Autocorrect changed to Dachund-a

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Huawei...

Mate of mine worked for them back around 2012 and still insisted on pronouncing it how-wah-wey:wacko: rather than how-wey or thereabouts. At least that's how my Chinese boss pronounced it when I worked for them in 2010.

9 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Can anyone tell me if Heljan is pronounced as "Heljan" or "Helyan"? I've heard both being used widely, but wanted to know what was the correct way of pronouncing it.

I pronounce them the Supreme Deity for bringing us the AL6 later this year.  I will elevate them to Intergalactic Supreme Deity if they decide to cash in on the AL6 with a Class 310 emu.

Whichever poorly paid wonk in Lloyds who is nominally in charge of my accounts will probably call them something explicit, possibly of Nordic origin, when my bank account loses several 0's in the run up to Christmas.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nick C said:

J is pronounced Y in most European languages (not sure about the romance languages though?), so definitely Helyan.

Huh!

Well, in Spanish at any rate!

just to be clear - this is the way I learned to pronounce the Spanish "J", probably when I was about 7 or 8 years old, much to the disgust of one of my junior school teachers when I corrected her (English version) attempt!

Back to Danish and Heljan, I was told by the boss man himself the correct way to say it is "Helly ann".

Cheers,

John

9 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

hallo,

here in Germany I hear Peco as pay-co and Piko is pronounced Pea-co

So I won't mention Ikea.....

damn, I mentioned it

es grüßt 

pc

As I have a few Piko German models in among all my British stuff, that is the one manufacturer I deliberately mispronounce, not to be insulting, but merely to distinguish them from Peco, whose track, point motors and scenic items I use. Thus, I call Piko "Pie-co" ("i" to rhyme with eye). I have to say Piko produce some nice models at bargain prices, so definitely no insult intended to them.

Incidentally, Ikea in Denmark is pronounced "Ee-kee-ah". :D

Edited by SRman
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cyberspice said:

Neither, The ch is at the back of the throat like a cat coughing a fur ball. 

Like it, as I'm in Germany, I've always pronounced it like that.

Ikea here is, the I as in the word if, then kay then a 

I learned Huawei from a native of Suzhou as wha-way

And almost returning to topic, I'm so looking forward to the Hellyan 50

es grüßt 

pc

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Talltim said:

Huawei...

Much used by Geordie footie fans? As in “Huawei the lads!”

I speak no Danish, but a brief encounter with a Danish blonde in 1966 did at least give me a clue as to how to nearly pronounce their capital, something like Kopnharn. 

And Sherry and I did spend a few hours in that city just before Christmas. We had no krone and no Danish language. So I asked the guy in the coffee shop “Do you speak English?” “Yes - do you?” Contactless worked fine and everyone was charming. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Going back to Nikkon or Ny-kon for a moment, I recall an American employee of Nikon at a Nikon Professional event remarking that the first time he ever heard it pronounced Ny-kon was on Paul Simon's "Kodachrome".

But whatever, if you really want to have people correcting you every time you pronounce a word correctly, just refer to the religion or a follower of it as "sick" rather than "seek"

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spikey said:

But whatever, if you really want to have people correcting you every time you pronounce a word correctly, just refer to the religion or a follower of it as "sick" rather than "seek"

When I was a hospital chaplain, we had a Sikh faith representative who would come into the office and ask, 'Any Sikh patients?' The rest of the team would invariably respond as one man, 'All of them!'

• Like 3

It's Hel-yan for me too!

19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I pronounce the former as Pritchard Patent Product. ;)

Jason

Hence P-Co. (Or should it have a stutter: P'P'P-Co?)

I too also pronounce the German Piko  as Pie-co to distinguish it from the Devonian mob!

Just think of the plethora of other German brands which are regularly mispronounced; Preiser, Viessmann, Fleischmann, Märklin, etc. At least the Germans have rule on this; simply, 'ei' is pronounced eye whilst 'ie' is pronounced 'ee'. 'Märklin' tends towards Mayer-klin

• Like 2

As seems to have been established already, it’s Hell-Yan as the Danes pronounce the ‘J’ as a ‘Y’. I believe it is a compound of the founder’s children’s names. Jan is the current MD’s father. 

My favourite ever mispronunciation of a model company name was during my time at Rails when a customer came in asking about ‘Djowff’ models. It took us a while to figure out he meant Jouef!

Have a good weekend!

Ben  

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Jes (sic) it works and that should settle the question. That is, unless people living outside the Danelaw think differently.

It is curious, though. Does that mean that all of us should immediately stop referring to Moscow and instead call it Mockba?

And no-one's allowed to say Rome any longer? Or Florence?

Etc...

Paul (who's firmly inside the Danelaw)