The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Posting from mobiles

Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

<parody on>

People post from mobs include no punctuation or capitols and wring worms are inserted by autocorrect usually they just asking basic question in bad grammer?

tks

<parody off>

I find it mildly annoying to have to decipher this kind of post by mentally inserting punctuation and replacing words.

Shouldn't the onus be on the OP to make his or her meaning clear rather than requiring mental gymnastics from the many readers?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm a mod on another site, and the amount of posts that are sheer gibberish is unreal. As you say, no punctuation, no (or incorrect) capitalisation, poor spelling, text-speak, awful grammar, etc.

Almost invariably native English (or American) speakers as well, you can usually tell the posts from people for who English is not their native language, and they've usually put more effort into at least trying to get it right.

Also, said site follows a Question/Answer principle (part of the Stack Exchange network, for those familiar with that) - around 90% of said posts are posted in the answer box, asking a question.

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Nick C said:

the amount of posts that are sheer gibberish is unreal. As you say, no punctuation, no (or incorrect) capitalisation, poor spelling, text-speak, awful grammar, etc.

Sometimes the device isn't the issue. When you comment that you can't understand what they're trying to say you get this kind of thing.

Twitter.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I think it's rarely the device, given that they all have auto-correct etc on them these days - it's that people simply don't care enough to use language properly. One example I spotted earlier had, in a single long paragraph, two full stops (both together, after a space, in the middle of a sentence), and nine question marks at the end.

I really don't understand this attitude of throwing all their toys out of the pram the moment you question them either...

• RMweb Gold

I didn't have time at SWAG to do so @AY Mod, but I was fully intending to ask for your secrets on how you maintain a degree of sanity whilst running RMweb...  :D
The anonymity of the internet does have a strange effect on people, does it not. On balance, I can put up with the odd grammatical errors; I'd much rather have to engage my brain to understand what's being asked, rather than be in the middle of whatever mosh pit that Twitter "exchange" is. I count myself lucky that I've been brought up on the internet long enough to know that the best thing to do with trolls is to leave them to fester in their own ineptitude until they get bored and go back to living under their bridge! 

Intonation is incredibly hard to decipher over the internet, and equally the fact that people tend to get easily offended doesn't help matters! I've been a moderator on various groups, but sometimes all I can do is roll my eyes and chuckle. That said, I do believe that people, generally, have become lazier because of texting, but equally the awkwardness of typing on small handheld devices does have its part to play, too. For many reasons, I don't own a smartphone. I never saw the appeal of accessing social media and such on-the-go in a clunky format, but then again, maybe I should get out the house more!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I didn't have time at SWAG to do so @AY Mod, but I was fully intending to ask for your secrets on how you maintain a degree of sanity whilst running RMweb...  :D

You wouldn't if you were on the other end of his looooooong phone calls moaning about you all...

The answer is, he doesn't.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

The anonymity of the internet does have a strange effect on people, does it not. On balance, I can put up with the odd grammatical errors; I'd much rather have to engage my brain to understand what's being asked, rather than be in the middle of whatever mosh pit that Twitter "exchange" is. I count myself lucky that I've been brought up on the internet long enough to know that the best thing to do with trolls is to leave them to fester in their own ineptitude until they get bored and go back to living under their bridge! 

Intonation is incredibly hard to decipher over the internet, and equally the fact that people tend to get easily offended doesn't help matters! I've been a moderator on various groups, but sometimes all I can do is roll my eyes and chuckle. That said, I do believe that people, generally, have become lazier because of texting, but equally the awkwardness of typing on small handheld devices does have its part to play, too. For many reasons, I don't own a smartphone. I never saw the appeal of accessing social media and such on-the-go in a clunky format, but then again, maybe I should get out the house more!

Which house are you getting out ? Is it 4mm scale ?    Sorry !  Sorry  just couldn't resist  :laugh_mini:  :jester:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sometimes the device isn't the issue. When you comment that you can't understand what they're trying to say you get this kind of thing.

Twitter.jpg

So how long go you think RMweb has left?

:unsure:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Intonation is incredibly hard to decipher over the internet, and equally the fact that people tend to get easily offended doesn't help matters!

I know I've offended people a few times without meaning to, and had to wonder if it was because they got easily offended, or if it was merely that the lack of intonation meant that my comment was taken with a different meaning to that which I intended.

(In fact, I've just gone and edited a post on another forum to add a ;), to hopefully make it clear it was a joke...)

• RMweb Premium

Just check out the number of posts with immediate edits after initial posting; a fair number of them mine I'd admit. Spell check is a wonderful thing when it knows what it is doing, however predictive text is a #@!? nightmare, as it renders entire posts gibberish without you entirely realising until you have typed several paragraphs (no change there I hear you say)... normally after you have hit the submit button, but often when you see the quotation notification...

It's particularly bad at the moment for me as my phone has just had a software update, and the 'keyboard' function has changed...smaller, and the letters are closer together (enhancement?) making it even trickier to write a post without going off on some predictive text induced deviation, or inserting some imbecilic emoticon.

Doesn't help that a large number of typos are still words their own right...form/from, there/their/they're, course/coarse etc.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Srsly? I cnt blve th fuss ppl r making abt txt speak hu cars as lng as ppl r contribndng?????? 

Said in jest of course. It does grate on you when you're trying to read something and people have shortened words, or just missed words from a sentence altogether. Gives a very bad name to all the Gen Y’ers on this site. 

• Funny 2