RMweb

Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I've suspected for some while that the models were 3D printed, at least the master and then castings taken and it has always been there (layers) in a very tiny amount, photos do tend to bring the worst out but those battery boxes look slightly worse than the rest of the model, paint will tell the full story though. I like the lagged pipe along the footplate, nice attention to detail there.

Best

Michael

• RMweb Premium

I like the lagged pipe along the footplate, nice attention to detail there.

I've been thinking the same. Brilliant! Just a thin strip of masking tape wound round? Just done my bike handlebar tape and its not as easy as it looks!

Hi Brian,

Despite the 'issues' with the kit, you will have a cracking model in the end especially with all the effort that you have put into it.

There are similar 'ripples' (although a different process in manufacture me thinks) with the 121/122 which I have filled and sanded - yet will only know for sure when it's painted (or in primer).

Kind regards,

CME.

Here she is nearly done. I still have to varnish it but I think it's a bit too mellow just at the moment for that. One slight problem with the Fox wasp stripes was that the ones for the cab end are not wide enough! I had to add an extra strip down both sides.

I am well pleased with it and can't wait to get it weathered.

I just had a nice parcel from JLTRT today with 3 replacement tank barrels for their TTA's so I can get on with those now :yahoo:

post-6766-0-42687500-1309193335_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-75535500-1309193339_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-91030300-1309193342_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-36491100-1309193346_thumb.jpg

Hi Lee, yes it is Railmatch BR Blue over Halfords grey priner.

Mike, any pictures of the Bachmann 08's?

Well Pete it is a shame that I had to get a bit extra for it. Be interesting to see whether it shows though next to a bog standard one.

Gloss varnish? Noooooooooooooooooooooo :pleasantry:

As you say it will be a nice, not over the top weathering, well here's hoping! I can't wait to get an even coat of varnish on it to blend in those gloss bits where the transfers went.

The Slaters gearbox runs ok if a bit of a whine on it but not distracting enough.

Mike, any pictures of the Bachmann 08's?

Hi Brian,

I have done nothing to the models, just painted them - Halfords etch primer followed by Halfords Brooklands Green, Satin Black and Bumper Grey then on D3459, Tamyia weathering blocks - applied as a water colour and on 13115, just Railmatch Satin Varnish with a few drops of Weathered Black and Frame Dirt added to tone it down

post-6951-0-22961400-1309198761_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-35942900-1309198768_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-86153000-1309198774_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-52393700-1309198780_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-58411300-1309198784_thumb.jpg

post-6951-0-55724200-1309198788_thumb.jpg

D3459 will be getting a Loksound chip shortly, whilst 13115 will be going back to it's owner tomorrow evening at the Club.

Thanks for asking for the pictures.

Mike

Hi Brian,

unfortunately, I have had to curtail my modelling to painting and using PVA glues, so the detailing kit was out of the question as far as D3459 was concerned. I will be looking out for some bargains on the Bring and Buy stand at Gresford and Telford to hopefully pick up some decent models that just need a repaint - we'll see.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Nice work!

The phots seem better on here :)

Have you modified the chassis/underfrmaes as there seems to be more fresh-air/daylight present than on some Bachmann's that I have seen...

The Brooklands green.......which car manufacturer does it apply to? How well does it go on, as I have noticed that some car paint (acrylics) seem to, all too easily, end up with that plasticised orange peel effect - how do you find them/get them to go on so nice?

ATB

CME :)

Hi Mike,

Nice work!

The phots seem better on here :)

Have you modified the chassis/underfrmaes as there seems to be more fresh-air/daylight present than on some Bachmann's that I have seen...

The Brooklands green.......which car manufacturer does it apply to? How well does it go on, as I have noticed that some car paint (acrylics) seem to, all too easily, end up with that plasticised orange peel effect - how do you find them/get them to go on so nice?

ATB

CME :)

Hi CME,

no mods whatsoever. The Brooklands Green is Rover. I always warm brass locos whilst they are on the painting turntable for a few minutes with a fan heater and have the can on the turntable as well. It seems to do the trick, touch wood not had the orange peel effect, so hopefully, I'm doing something right - for a change. Light, short bursts with the can at 300mm to 450mm from the object. Just used the same procedure on the Bachmann Crab, so we'll see.

cheers

Mike

Hello,

I've recently converted to O gauge from OO, and am looking to model early 2000s, probably a small EWS MPD, so that I might actually finish it.

Being a bit daunted by soldering, JLTRT seems a sensible option for me as far as getting locos and stock goes, and your assembled examples seem excellent, hopefully if I ever build any I can make them approaching your standard (so far I have two Parkside Grampus under my belt)

Your 08 looks very snazzy to say the least, I would be very tempted to assemble one for my first loco some way down the line (that pun I assure you is the best I can muster), and you mentioned that JLTRT have sent replacement barrels for TTAs - are they scale sized now? As I've seen it mentioned that they were a tad undersized before, but they would make a good 'step up' between plastic kits and the JLTRT kits I think.

Cheers in advance,

O-gauge-scot

Hello and welcome.

I have made a start on the re-sized tanks. Thankfully the finished one came apart quite easily with a bit of glue buster. I am having to re-use the walkways but new cast end steps were suppplied as the tank is now a bit taller.

I am sure you will find these kits nice to build. They weigh 630g so will need a good loco to pull them!

You should be able to build a JLTRT loco just like mine as the shape is all done for us so there is no excuse for us to not get the bodies all looking the same. And we do, just look at the other threads on here about the JLTRT 40 builds.

08 is varnished now just the windows to add B)

post-6766-0-47006900-1309361195_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-65000900-1309361198_thumb.jpg

Hi CME,

no mods whatsoever. The Brooklands Green is Rover. I always warm brass locos whilst they are on the painting turntable for a few minutes with a fan heater and have the can on the turntable as well. It seems to do the trick, touch wood not had the orange peel effect, so hopefully, I'm doing something right - for a change. Light, short bursts with the can at 300mm to 450mm from the object. Just used the same procedure on the Bachmann Crab, so we'll see.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tips - I have some plastic models to spray soon, yet I sprayed a metal loco recently and the Halfords paint really didnt go on all that well :cry::cry:.....I will give it another go though.

Keep Posting!

ATB

CME

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tips - I have some plastic models to spray soon, yet I sprayed a metal loco recently and the Halfords paint really didnt go on all that well :cry::cry:.....I will give it another go though.

Keep Posting!

ATB

CME

I was never keen on Acrylic car sprays, always finding the cellulose sprays gave a far superior finish but the last few cans of Halford acrylic I have tried have been very good, but you do have to be careful not to build up the depth too much, seems the cellulose gives a "thinner" paint surface and retains the body details better.