RMweb

Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• RMweb Gold

Lovely jobs, great pic's and great insperation even for 4mm modelers. Thanks for taking the time to keep the pics coming. Andy.

Yes, I agree.

Your standard or modelling is very inspirational.

I will follow your build of the 33 closely. There are certainly plenty of castings there!

Well I have been doing a bit of building the last few days (and doing stuff on the computer that seem to take for ages). So far I have built up the batteryboxes with a set of air tanks between them. I have screwed on the fuel tank but not detailed it as a friend said he could mill out the rebate that was there up until the early 80's. The castings have been glued onto the bogie sideframes. Drilling out the buffers was a pain as usual and the springs that were supplied went straight on up to the rear of the buffer heads but thankfully I found some smaller ones. I have painted the cab interior a light grey, just need to pick out the details and add the controller castings. Air pipes are on one end apart from the control air pipes. The eth still needs to be sorted by JLTRT. I will use a Kadee fitted to the supplied coupling the same as I did on the Heljan 33/1 earlier. Although there are a lot of castings supplied there were a few missing so I won't be finishing it in the next week! Today I recieved in the post an Shawplan rad fan grill that I will put on this model. I will have to open the hole out a bit though as it's a larger, correct, diameter.

I also fitted the sound chip into my Heljan Deltic. Not bad, sounds like a Deltic but minus the bass.

post-6766-0-88040200-1315592956.jpg

post-6766-0-87581500-1315592959.jpg

post-6766-0-57737800-1315592965.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Brian, saw you beavering away at Telford with quite a gathering around your table, they say fortune comes with fame....keep your fingers crossed matey!

I spent most of the day looking for a dozen or so odds and ends and only came away with a set of coach door handles :)

I spoke to Pete about the JLTRT FNA wagon and he reckons its on its way.......another case of fingers crossed.

Oh, and how could Slaters be sold out of thier new gearboxes by 11:00 on the Saturday morning....that was annoying.

I like the look of the 33/1 making progress here, quite tempted by a little one now, been waiting too long for a 31.

I did have a good time at Telford as always. Not sure about a Clayton but if I did one I would have to have it as a research one in blue.

But as you say I did get a JLTRT 33/1 kit on Saturday morning. Unfortunatly at the show I could not do much to it apart from clean it up a bit as it needed cleaning and holes drilling and a bit of soldering doing to it before I start gluing it together. Anyway now we are home I can get a start on it. I have attached some pictures of what's in the box for starters. There are a few castings still to get for it though but I can get the bulk of it done.

Hi Brian :smile_mini2:

Glad that you had a good time.

I must say that the 33 looks great.......

Looking forward to seeing more soon - which loco/livery are you going to model?

Am I correct in thinking that Pete (PHD) and Shawplan do scavenger roof fan grills for such now?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

they say fortune comes with fame....keep your fingers crossed matey!

I am still waiting for that bit David, one day perhaps.

Telford was a good show as I did not spend much! I just spent more at the Swindon Steam model show as I bought/ordered an MTH Midland full brake to re-paint in blue. Should get it in a couple of weeks.

An update on the 33 for you.

Need you ask what color it will be :scratchhead: Blue with yellow ends naturally

As you can see I have fitted a Shawplan rad grill in the roof. This needed the hole enlarging a bit and a new round box under it for the fan to sit in. I suppose I should take a picture of it together with the painted cab interior tomorrow in daylight. I made the waistlevel airpipes up but as there is no bottom recepticle and bracket for it I just made the airpipes a bit long to trim later. Thankfully I had a set of gladhands from a peak kit as there were non supplied. Modified a Kadee buckeye by cutting the loop of the back and using a slitting disc cut a slot up the support so it went over the JLTRT coupling hook. Then I drilled a hole in the end and secured it with a 14BA nut and bolt. It stays upright by the fact that the rear of the shaft rubs on the front of the bufferbeam and the spring on the coupling hook holds against the bufferbeam, if that makes sense? All the handrails are lost wax castings on this model to get the flat shape that they have. These are only on for show at the moment as they are easier to paint with them off and to mask the body to do the yellow ends later.I still have the control air pipes and the ETH to put on when i get it. The cab moulding comes with all the holes in it already for all the castings so I stuck the headlight in it just so you can see what it's like. I will have to fill these holes and a couple more that are there if you were doing a standard 33 with the long handrails across the front. Should get the fuel tank recess milled out tomorrow so should get that finished. I still have not glued the roof to sides yet so must do that soon and then the cabs on now that they are painted.

post-6766-0-17206500-1315856785.jpg

post-6766-0-02472900-1315856791.jpg

post-6766-0-99212100-1315856797.jpg

post-6766-0-00817300-1315856801.jpg

post-6766-0-92828500-1315856814.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Brian,

Bumped into you at Swindon - I presume they justified letting you in as 33's ran to Bristol?! You said sooner or later someone was bound to ask for a Heljan/JLTRT class 33 photo comparison. Just thought I'd mention it... :no:

Got to be honest - and fully prepared to be shot for this - the unpainted JLTRT face reminds me a bit of the old Lima OO effort! Looking forward to seeing what painting does to it though.

As you saw at Swindon all I took had a Western theme to them :beee: 52 got everywhere, 46 in the west, 33 Didcot/Oxford/Bristol, 40 and 20 were regular at Oxford/Didcot, 27 went to Swindon Works and we have had a few Deltics on tours and the dipped rail joint tests, think I just got away with that one!

Here are some pictures to show the cab interior and the rad fan holder I made. I made this by putting a strip of plasticard into some boiling water to soften it then and then wrapped it round an object until it was near the correct diameter. Using the fan as a template I then cut it to length round the fan and glued it together with another bit of plasticard as a stregthener. Once that had cured I glued it onto a flat of plasticard for the base which still needs a file round it to make a nice job of it! A bit of plastic rod was used for the fan support.

The control desks are very nice as there are quite a few controls on these. As you can see on the first picture the rear bulkheads have some nice locating tabs moulded onto them. The cab draught screens are nicely done as well. A couple of pictures here just to show the general shape of it with the sides screwed into the chassis but without the roof on.

I think I should wait until it's painted before taking a picture of the 2 side by side to be fair.

post-6766-0-38829000-1315908567.jpg

post-6766-0-28857900-1315908572.jpg

post-6766-0-58710100-1315908577.jpg

post-6766-0-81704700-1315908586.jpg

post-6766-0-57981800-1315908590.jpg

post-6766-0-79205600-1315908596.jpg

post-6766-0-59321200-1315908600.jpg

post-6766-0-92641200-1315908606.jpg

post-6766-0-50855300-1315908609.jpg

post-6766-0-40805000-1315908615.jpg

The 33 wil be just standard blue and yellow.

Swindon was quite busy with families. It was quiet round me, unlike Telford.

I don't know how much updating I will be doing for a while as my computer has decided it doesn't want to turn on. I am replying on here at the moment with my laptop which is the first time it's ever been on the internet! Won't be doing much with pictures that's for sure.

The 33 wil be just standard blue and yellow. Swindon was quite busy with families. It was quiet round me, unlike Telford. I don't know how much updating I will be doing for a while as my computer has decided it doesn't want to turn on. I am replying on here at the moment with my laptop which is the first time it's ever been on the internet! Won't be doing much with pictures that's for sure.

Sounds like your pc needs a new power supply Brian, a relatively easy fix and a lot cheaper than a new computer.

Richard

Hi Richard

All I got when I turned my computer on is the startup menu where you can hit esc to go to the setup side of things that I know nothing about.Having said that the damn thing just turned on! Must go, have a bit of saving pictures to the external hardrive to do whilst I can.

Hi Richard All I got when I turned my computer on is the startup menu where you can hit esc to go to the setup side of things that I know nothing about.Having said that the damn thing just turned on! Must go, have a bit of saving pictures to the external hardrive to do whilst I can.

Brian

This sounds more like a hard drive problem, is the computer making a clicking noise, if it is, thats a clear sign that the hard drive/s are on the way out and your pc is finding it difficult to boot from the hard drive. I had this problem earlier in the year, I ended up fitting two new hard drives that cost £50 each and I now have 3 terra bites of storage so that you should be enough for while.

Richard

The 33 wil be just standard blue and yellow.

Swindon was quite busy with families. It was quiet round me, unlike Telford.

I don't know how much updating I will be doing for a while as my computer has decided it doesn't want to turn on. I am replying on here at the moment with my laptop which is the first time it's ever been on the internet! Won't be doing much with pictures that's for sure.

Hi Brian,

Looking forward to seeing it painted, whatever the colour.

Make sure you have 'Comodo' and 'Firefox' - or similar for your laptop then.

I have come to the the conclusion that PC's are almost an expensive consumable - protecting back ups and intellectual property are what is really important!!

If it is the power pack I found one on line - all certified for UK - at about £20, the O.E replacement would have been £110!!

Anything else - hardware wise - can be relatively easily replaced it is configuring it that is the challenge..

ATB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium

Off topic a bit but being in here may be the best place for the request, I am looking for some 7mm Newspaper Mk1 Coach transfers, anyone seen any suppliers at all as I have been searching the usual suspects and so far have come up with a zero!

Good luck with the computer malady Brian....always a pain when dumb objects start getting smarter than us!

• RMweb Premium

Off topic a bit but being in here may be the best place for the request, I am looking for some 7mm Newspaper Mk1 Coach transfers, anyone seen any suppliers at all as I have been searching the usual suspects and so far have come up with a zero!

HMRS (pressfix/methfix) sheet 15 BR blue era loco & coach as one pair of 'Newspaper' transfers so OK if you only want one vehicle, a tad expensive if you are looking at a rake!

• RMweb Premium

HMRS (pressfix/methfix) sheet 15 BR blue era loco & coach as one pair of 'Newspaper' transfers so OK if you only want one vehicle, a tad expensive if you are looking at a rake!

Yes, just the one required, thanks for that Tim, much appreciated.

Hello David,

I'm a bit surprised that Fox don't do them. As approx £15 for a set of the H.M.R.S. ones sound a bit much for one vehicle. I've used the Pressfix in the past and the only hard part is lining them up through the transfer paper, once you happy with the location all you do is press down and then float off the transfer paper with water, then a bit more water to wash any gum off.

OzzyO.

PS.

when I last used them for numbering a loco I remember drawing a line under the numbers on the sheet in pencil and drawing a line on the loco body with a water washable felt tip pen, this did help to line them up. it has to be water washable for obvious reasons.

Edited by ozzyo

• RMweb Premium

Aha....OK then, never used either so Methfix or Pressfix?

David

I like Pressfix and I think that it what Brian uses too. Their only issue is as OzzyO says, lining them up, you can't push them around like a water-slide but they are clean and don't leave a carrier mark.

• RMweb Premium

I was suprised Fox didn't do them as well, I know Woodhead used to and I about to find out if they are still available but failing that its an £16 sheet from HMRS for the one vehicle for now......but there will be more items on the sheet than just the "Newspapers" to come in usefull in the future I am sure.

Thanks for the info chaps, going to be the pressfix me thinks.

If you are just after the Newspaper lettering David then PM me your address and I can send you the bit out of an HMRS sheet as I have got a few spare over the years!

Touch wood the computer has decided to play ball and turn itself on so lets hope it was just having a rest for a couple of days.