Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Hello all,

a mate of mine that was a driver in the 80s -90s never wore a uniform, it was something like this, flat cap, a light coloured zip up jacket and dark blue trousers (these may have been uniform) but always with a shirt and tie, and an old shopping bag (this would have had his Bardic and all the other bits in it). I don't ever recall seeing him in the B.R. uniform of the time.

I did have some good days out with this driver, some starting at 00 stupid in the morning (night), R.I.P. my old mate.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Thank you Brian, on reflection and after seeing your photograph I think that Stan French might well have been wearing something similar to a raincoat a la Harold Wilson.

regards, Graham

Ah those BR issued macs, 100% waterproof but boy did they stink. I never did get one as I couldn't stand them. All the London Division Traction Inspectors just wore casual/suits and definatly no bowler hats.

I always wear a uniform and a DBS tie! Might as well look as though you know what you are doing even if you are making it up as you go along  :mail:

Those numbers are a bit wonky aren't they. But they are still not as bad as the first class yellow stripe on some of the HST trailers that go through Didcot, now they are wavy!

Ok I will take a few pictures of the 27 when I do a bit more to it as I must admit although there are pictures of the earlier 27 builds on here it is a bl**dy job to find them in the 65 pages that we are up to now, although they are on my Flickr site if you want to find them easier. Is there any way to add an index page at the front of this workbench thread?

• Like 3

How come, with a seller like an "O" gauge 31, they are limited edition?

Doesn't make sense to me.

I suppose they are all limited to this one run? Will they run them again? They could do a single arrowed blue one with a smaller arrow so it's a new model! I wonder how the green ones are selling as green always sells better than blue usually.

Ah those BR issued macs, 100% waterproof but boy did they stink. I never did get one as I couldn't stand them. All the London Division Traction Inspectors just wore casual/suits and definatly no bowler hats.

Brian, I am talking about the early 1970s, say 1972-4, when I travelled Reading to London most days. Stan French would often wait for a service around 7.30am, at the head of the stairs to platforms 5 to 8, briefcase in one hand and a pipe in the other hand - most of the time with a hat. Now that hat was not a bowler, more like a trilby, maybe even a homburg in style.

When did the unions agree to single manning of passenger services?

regards, Graham

• RMweb Premium

The inspector I knew was the only one to wear his bowler, I think he was well known for it, next time I see my Uncle I shall ask him......although the poor old soul is 80 now I think and not so good on his pins anymore and heard this week from my cousin that he had a funny turn over easter and was admitted to hospital, back at home now and much better thankfully.

Must go and see him in the next few weeks. I still have an "Arrows of Indecision" crew bag in the loft.....I used it all through college as my camera bag!

Unfortunately during a family dispute and upheavel during the 80's I lost all my old boxbrownie negatives I had taken........really annoyed about that, all the steam stuff and very early diesels out of the X and FP  :(

I even had some from Old Oak Common when a pal and me went on a day to see what all the GWR fuss was about :)  in them days you could just wander into the yard office and blag your way into the place if you looked innocent enough and the yard foreman was a happy soul, no H&S then, just common sense........."don't walk in front of the trains kids".........always good advice :)

How come, with a seller like an "O" gauge 31, they are limited edition?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Are they limited editions? There's nothing in mine or the other ones I've seen which suggests they are.

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed, Heljan are calling the production run of the 31 a Limited Edition........as I have recently found out :no2:

Are they limited editions? There's nothing in mine or the other ones I've seen which suggests they are.

Cheers

Tom

I think the Heljan Class 31 might be best described as a "limited production run". What with the current economic climate I can well understand Heljan doing smaller runs of high value models. Tower Models are still trying to shift the last of the Class 37's and Class 20's.

• RMweb Premium

Tower could easily shift thier last stock...........reduce the price :O

I think the Heljan Class 31 might be best described as a "limited production run". What with the current economic climate I can well understand Heljan doing smaller runs of high value models. Tower Models are still trying to shift the last of the Class 37's and Class 20's.

Hi Brian.

Sorry to be a pain and maybe go a little off topic, but I've run into a problem with an O gauge build and wondered if you or one of your followers might be able to help? I have a MK1 TSO kit which I'll be starting soon, but it appears to be missing it's roof vents, (it was second hand). I wonder if you could recommend a decent manufacturer for ridged dome roof vents? It's difficult to judge online which are crisp casts/mouldings etc.

Thanks.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian.

Sorry to be a pain and maybe go a little off topic, but I've run into a problem with an O gauge build and wondered if you or one of your followers might be able to help? I have a MK1 TSO kit which I'll be starting soon, but it appears to be missing it's roof vents, (it was second hand). I wonder if you could recommend a decent manufacturer for ridged dome roof vents? It's difficult to judge online which are crisp casts/mouldings etc.

Thanks.

Sean.

Sean

You could try ABS who have the old Cavalier range of coach castings.  No website I'm afraid so you'll have to call him http://www.ukmodelsh...58-ABS_Models.?

• Like 2

I have not had to bother getting hold of roof vents so am not up to scratch on who does them but I would agree that ABS probably would be good quality ones. Don't know if Westdale do them as a separate item to sell.

The ALSRM show at Reading is coming up on May 11th if you can get there it could be worth while as ABS might be there, ring him beforehand to make sure he brings some?

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

I'm having knee surgery next week so will have plenty of recovery time to ring around and see whats what.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Good luck with the surgery - speedy recovery!

I like ABS products and Adrian is always helpful, yet I have also procured parts from the likes of Westdale and EZBuild.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Brian,

Just wanted to say thanks.

Your work has been highly inspirational to me.

So much so my next project will be a representation of Inverness depot in the Eighties in S7. 

Watch out for a project called 'Highland Sulzers' - Lochgorm Works in The Eighties, hopefully sooner rather than later, although my EM layout 'Diesels in the Duchy' needs some attention first.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to get back to doing a bit of work on the 27.

I have got hold of a Shawplan etched rad roof fan and grill for a 27 that is slightly larger than the JLTRT supplied one. So I managed to mill out the fan housing "tube" to fit the new fan into but it left the housing very thin! Hence all the filler on the outside to beef it up again and fill the couple of small holes where I went through.

post-6766-0-56883700-1367781576.jpg

post-6766-0-61937700-1367781578.jpg

post-6766-0-84084900-1367781586.jpg

post-6766-0-84282400-1367781574.jpg

post-6766-0-33976400-1367781588.jpg

I have also been making up some filler pipe runs to go where the boiler tank would have been as this area is very visible on these NB 27's. There is still a couple of more pipes and fillers to add when I glue it all together.

post-6766-0-98657900-1367781580.jpg

post-6766-0-05283400-1367781583.jpg

post-6766-0-99542500-1367781584.jpg

• Like 5