Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Hello Brian,

why not use some of that 100 Deg. solder so that you should only have to tin once, it apparently works on brass, N/S and W/M. I think that you can get it from C & L.

OzzyO.

PS. I've not used it myself so I can't say if it works.

Brian

I'm not sure your door handles are that wrong, from photographs it looks like they should be the BR curved handles that you get on Mark one coaches JLTRT do them, where as yours are are more T shaped which I think are more typically southern railway style. 

There's not a lot in it really and from a distance you would never be able to tell even if you were aware of the difference.

Its great model, I hope to see it int he flesh at a show one day.

Richard

You are right Richard the JLTRT door handle would be the correct style but these ones are staying put!

I have soldered in some of these whitemetal frames now on the power car in the brake compartment doors and those forward of it (just need to do the passenger saloon ones) and it does make a difference.

Here are a couple of pictures of a Westdale BG with the whitemetal window surrounds behind the door drop windows, it does show up.

post-6766-0-52682200-1362491221.jpg

post-6766-0-13099700-1362491224.jpg

post-6766-0-00253600-1362491226.jpg

I have now added some little U brass channels to the brake rigging supports on the power bogies of the thumper to support them better as they have a tendency to flatten out and not stay in the slight Z shape. Clipping them over the brake pull etch now holds them nicely.

post-6766-0-80510300-1362491214_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-53948600-1362491218_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-77131600-1362491210.jpg

post-6766-0-01654400-1362491230.jpg

I also added a strip down the side of the life guards to convert them from an L section to a T profile and then filed the corners off at the bottom. Looks better now.

post-6766-0-97645800-1362491227.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 7

I have resurected the JLTRT 33/1 that I started over a year ago as I finally got hold of the castings that I was short of when I got hold of the kit. Mind you I am still missing the recepticles that the front highlevel airpipes go into. Laurie at JLTRT says he can't find them at the moment so I shall give him a bit of time but might end up making my own as I did to the Heljan 33 conversion I did to a 33/1. I just need to add a couple more airpipes on the side of the bogies to finish it off.

Took delivery of another JLTRT 27 this week as well. It will be one of the NB 27's with snow ploughs and modelled with cabside drop windows as per the picture below. Still not 100% which number yet though.

post-6766-0-09732200-1363117934.jpg

post-6766-0-68181900-1363114083.jpg

post-6766-0-19173500-1363114087_thumb.jpg

Blue star MU added now. The highlevel airpipes are left off as the spigot to attatch them is not very long and they keep falling off. Should be fine when it's painted and I can glue them in place.

post-6766-0-58568100-1363114088.jpg

Air horn castings cut down so they fit in roof hole.

post-6766-0-13027100-1363114090.jpg

ETH and upturned control airpipes added.

post-6766-0-76756700-1363114091.jpg

Exhauster exhaust pipe is a bit close to the bogie so I think I better test run it on a layout before painting.

post-6766-0-43045200-1363114093.jpg

ETH and correct style auto brake slack adjusters fitted.

post-6766-0-13682200-1363114095.jpg

Not much room infront of the bogie! Had to cut down the ETH recepticle under the bufferbeam, where the flexible cable goes into it, to clear the bogies lifeguards.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 7

Amazing Brian, I can't believe how fast you bulid these!

Can I ask where you get the black flexible sleeving from? I find the JLTRT supplied sleeve is too large a diameter. They recommend telecom cable but the correct size is not sufficiently expandable to go over the ends of the spigot. Is it small bore heatshrink that you're using?

Julian

Hi Julian, you can use Carp fishing rig tubing varios sizes and colours

Amazing Brian, I can't believe how fast you bulid these!

Can I ask where you get the black flexible sleeving from? I find the JLTRT supplied sleeve is too large a diameter. They recommend telecom cable but the correct size is not sufficiently expandable to go over the ends of the spigot. Is it small bore heatshrink that you're using?

Julian

Don't forget Julian a lot of this was done a long time ago. All I have done recently is finishing it off.

The fine rubber pipe is some spare I have from DJH kits but my supply is getting low so looks like I will have to put a disguise on and go into a fishing tackle shop and look interested in carp fishing  :hunter: You mean they don't fish with one of these?

• Like 1

What the difference between the exhaust on the roof and the exhauster exhaust?

One's for the engine and the other for the vacuum exhauster, for the brake system. The outlet for the exhauster is where the air drawn out of the vac brake system is ejected, often with a very fine spray of oil, which is used for sealing the vanes.

HTH

Edited by Pugsley
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Brian, I like the look of the 33 there but for some reason the 27 is my favourite of those two, no idea why I think it just looks nicer....

It's nice to be back in here again, not visited properly for a long time it seems, and I have not been allowed out in my shed over the winter either......doctors orders, oh well getting better now and maybe next week I will order a Heljan 31 to cheer myself up. Not that I can do anything with it at the moment but it'll be nice just to get back into the groove so to speak.

Hopefully by summer I shall be back into the modelling regime again......I bet there's a few inches of dust on my table in the shed now :)

As usual your threads an inspiration to us lesser mortals ;)

Sorry to here you have been under the weather David, Summer and warmer weather is on it's way, or so they say! I am sure you will enjoy the Heljan 31 but be aware that there does seem to be no single arrow TOP's era ones left! All you can get are the two arrowed D numbered era ones, obviously not that many people model Blue D numbers era?

Out of the 26/27/33 designs :paint:  I also like the 27 the best, I think it must be something to do with the headcode box. I have not put any pictures of the 27 build up as I covered it earlier when I built 27101 and 27203 but I will add some when I add a bit of detail on the end of the fuel tank now that it's exposed. Picture attached to show what I am after copying.

post-6766-0-12078700-1365022075.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

I haven't posted on your thread for a while but have been following your progress.

Your 33116 looks superb, I have always like the pushers as I used to see them all the time. The class 27 looks very nice too it should look great parked up with your others.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Brian,

When you fit your diesels with a driver and secondman.... which supplier do you use? Generally speaking (1970s and 1980s) and specifically for crews in the mid 1960s.

I have recollections of seeing Westerns in Reading with a third man on the footplate, probably an inspector. Any idea of the accepted garb for such a character?

regards, Graham

Diesel crews without Hi-Viz on are a bit thin on the ground. All I have used are seated steam crew as drivers in the 60's would still be wearing it.. The owner of Omen is looking into doing a 1970's style driver. As to Inspectors I have this picture of one of our old Western ones whilst I was learning some new traction trying to "cab" an 86 to New Street 28 years ago today! Inspectors just wore a casual suit of the period.

post-6766-0-14148100-1365096734.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brian, I should be back to normal (whatever that was?) soon I have been told.

Diesel crews without Hi-Viz on are a bit thin on the ground. All I have used are seated steam crew as drivers in the 60's would still be wearing it.. The owner of Omen is looking into doing a 1970's style driver. As to Inspectors I have this picture of one of our old Western ones whilst I was learning some new traction trying to "cab" an 86 to New Street 28 years ago today! Inspectors just wore a casual suit of the period.

Haha, thats reminds me back in the late 60's when I started "third manning" my uncle from the X, I was told if I ever saw a bloke at the end of the platform in a long black coat with a clipboard looking grumpy.....DUCK DOWN :mosking:

Must admit though we only ever got caught twice, luckily by the same inspector......I think he was impressed by my jottings I always took throughout the journey, I reckon he thought I was Inspector material :rtfm:  :no:

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

Brian, thanks for the heads up on the shortage of 31's......looks like I have missed the boat while I have been "out of it".

Seems no more central arrow versions in stock anywhere I can find, oh well I might as well go for a green one then as I always loved the scheme.......and by the time I get my layout finished I'll be old enough and grumpy enough to be able to run anything on it :)