Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

At Telford Pete Harvey delivered a set of etchings to add to the Heljan 37 conversion I am doing. So with these on I can get on and finish this.

Pete also did a set of front window rubber etches, but these need a slight modification to fit.

Headcode surround etch and panel above coupling.

post-6766-0-57170200-1379006070.jpg

Square panel and handbrake leaver.

post-6766-0-73151200-1379006072.jpg

Boiler water tank gauge blank.

post-6766-0-77041800-1379006074.jpg

Horn rivet strip.

post-6766-0-33362700-1379006076.jpg

Boiler roof blanking plates.

post-6766-0-32589600-1379006078.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry for the delay in replying Alex, only just seen your post what with the forum doing a good impression of Tommy Cooper, now you see it now you don't, ha ha ha, just like thatlaugh.gif.The PCA's are ready to run Skytrex with a little bit of extra detail painting and Fox transfers on them. They do seem a tad too high but in a rake look ok.I have finished one of the Warflats now. Need to do the metal L strip down the wood sides on the other 3 now.

Ho Brian I like the 66 whose kit is it and what was it like to build

John

I am just painting the Heljan 37 conversion and have cut the 3 front windows into seperate parts and filed the sides a bit so they poke through the front window openings a bit more. When the rubber on the window glazing is painted black I think it will look ok with it poking through a bit more. That's what I am hoping anyway!

• Like 1

Brian, sorry to backtrack, but looking at sound decoders, the Howes ones seem to have no speakers and I can't find any mention of speakers on their site.

The SWD ones come with a speaker.

BOTH seem to be made by ESU?

But which would you recommend?

As well as painting the 37 I have made a start on the Easy-build Inspection Saloon but have come to a halt waiting for a couple of bits that were missing. When I get these and make the sides and roof area I will photograph it and put them up on here and also tell you what I have changed!

I have only ever used one Jeff. Usually the ESU 40mm. In the Heljan Western I had at Telford I put a 70mm long rectangular speaker that I had on the shelf for years. You can buy them off the internet I found. That Western with this speaker sounds awsome. I must get another one of these speakers and fit in the Heljan Deltic that has a South West Digital sound chip (my only one from them) and see if it improves the sound, I think it should going by the Western.

Picture added showing the size of the speaker. It fits in the valence nicely. I had to make a plasticard cover to insulate the front from the back of the speaker. This also provided a good place for the XL chip to sit on!

post-6766-0-05300100-1379533718.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 2

I heard that at Telford, and it WAS amazing. Bigger was ALWAYS better for speakers when I used to build them for HiFi use. We also used enclosures with elongated paths for the sound and acoustic wadding, all to "fool the speaker into thinking it was in a bigger enclosure", to get more bass.

Maybe just look on t'internet for speakers, then?  I'm assuming that two 4 Ohm speakers in series equals an 8 Ohm load?

I have only ever used one Jeff. Usually the ESU 40mm. In the Heljan Western I had at Telford I put a 70mm long rectangular speaker that I had on the shelf for years. You can buy them off the internet I found. That Western with this speaker sounds awsome. I must get another one of these speakers and fit in the Heljan Deltic that has a South West Digital sound chip (my only one from them) and see if it improves the sound, I think it should going by the Western.

Picture added showing the size of the speaker. It fits in the valence nicely. I had to make a plasticard cover to insulate the front from the back of the speaker. This also provided a good place for the XL chip to sit on!

Hi Brian,

Did you find that this speaker out performed the standard bass-reflex speakers normally used (ie added more realism/ allowed the sound to be portrayed more effectively)?

Kind rgards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I have just made a start on my Easy-build MKI Inspection Saloon which I will build like this.

post-6766-0-25378900-1379697467.jpg

I also have a picture of it before it had the gas heaters fitted in the sides and it still has a steam heat pipe on itpost-6766-0-83145800-1379697465.jpg

Thankfully it is still on the network today although it's modified a bit.

post-6766-0-63063300-1379697464.jpg.

Needless to say I have done a couple of modifications to the kit already!

First job is to prepare the sides by drilling holes and fixing the door hinges and door stops. Then mark out and cut a hole for the saloon gas heaters. The kit had 2 of these supplied but looking at Paul Bartlett's site showed that they were fitted both sides, http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/inspectionsaloon/h71b22530#h71b22530 and http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/inspectionsaloon/h71b22530#h75162f07. So I had to get Easy-build to send a couple more and a couple of internal partitions that were missing. The casting for the heater exhaust has a backing to it which prevents it being flush with the front of the sides.

post-6766-0-09810200-1379697202.jpg

So I cut this off all round the casting and fitted them in the sides a bit further so the front now fits flush.

post-6766-0-14363200-1379697206.jpg

Here are sides with the parts attached.

post-6766-0-65547900-1379697203.jpg

Next bit to modify was the roof. The instructions say to make the vents in 2 rows down the middle with the water filler pipe inboard towards the centre of the roof to the toilet and buffet area. Thankfully this coach is still about so a trawl through Flickr found a couple of roof pictures showing the fillers actually go outside of the vents on one side! I think! I have made a good job of replicating this but won't know for sure until I put the vents and fillers in the roof later. I managed to drill 2 holes with the wrong drill hence the filler, doh!

post-6766-0-56650800-1379697207.jpg

I also scribed the roof joints on with a knife.

post-6766-0-72568900-1379697209.jpg

I have soldered the window frames and filler supports on the ends ready for fitting to the coach.

post-6766-0-85747500-1379697196.jpg

All that remains now is to glue the sides and ends to the roof.

I am changing the bogies from the supplied plastic ones to the etched JLTRT ones which I have used on my Thumper kit.

Now to get on with some painting of a JLTRT TTV, Presflo, Heljan B Tank, OAA and VAA samples, and the Heljan centre headcode 37 I am converting. Never a dull moment here. Oh and fit the interior lights to the trailer coaches of the Thumper.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 6

I have just made a start on my Easy-build MKI Inspection Saloon which I will build like this.

attachicon.gifCoach QXV DB 999508 Bicester.jpg

I also have a picture of it before it had the gas heaters fitted in the sides and it still has a steam heat pipe on itattachicon.gifCoach Inspection saloon DB 999508 Old Oak.jpg

Thankfully it is still on the network today although it's modified a bit.

attachicon.gifCoach DB 999508 Didcot 03.jpg.

Needless to say I have done a couple of modifications to the kit already!

First job is to prepare the sides by drilling holes and fixing the door hinges and door stops. Then mark out and cut a hole for the saloon gas heaters. The kit had 2 of these supplied but looking at Paul Bartlett's site showed that they were fitted both sides, http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/inspectionsaloon/h71b22530#h71b22530 and http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/inspectionsaloon/h71b22530#h75162f07. So I had to get Easy-build to send a couple more and a couple of internal partitions that were missing. The casting for the heater exhaust has a backing to it which prevents it being flush with the front of the sides.

attachicon.gifIMG_2756.jpg

So I cut this off all round the casting and fitted them in the sides a bit further so the front now fits flush.

attachicon.gifIMG_2758.jpg

Here are sides with the parts attached.

attachicon.gifIMG_2757.jpg

Next bit to modify was the roof. The instructions say to make the vents in 2 rows down the middle with the water filler pipe inboard towards the centre of the roof to the toilet and buffet area. Thankfully this coach is still about so a trawl through Flickr found a couple of roof pictures showing the fillers actually go outside of the vents on one side! I think! I have made a good job of replicating this but won't know for sure until I put the vents and fillers in the roof later. I managed to drill 2 holes with the wrong drill hence the filler, doh!

attachicon.gifIMG_2759.jpg

I also scribed the roof joints on with a knife.

attachicon.gifIMG_2759a.jpg

I have soldered the window frames and filler supports on the ends ready for fitting to the coach.

attachicon.gifIMG_2760.jpg

All that remains now is to glue the sides and ends to the roof.

I am changing the bogies from the supplied plastic ones to the etched JLTRT ones which I have used on my Thumper kit.

Now to get on with some painting of a JLTRT TTV, Presflo, Heljan B Tank, OAA and VAA samples, and the Heljan centre headcode 37 I am converting. Never a dull moment here. Oh and fit the interior lights to the trailer coaches of the Thumper.

Hi Brian,

A nice looking kit, my EZB 121/122 came with all of the holes already drilled - the only downside is the presence of 'extrusion' marks down the flanks.

A nice company to do business with though.

I like Inspection Coaches/Saloons.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher