New lives for Pacers - The less-than-serious thread!

I was wondering if the horrific reality might be the sight of grounded pacers across the country for years to come, replacing the traditional BR 12T Vent Van and 4/6 Wheeled coach in a variety of domestic and agricultural settings. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I note in the serious thread a suggestion they could be used as

mobile restaurants with menus geared towards local delicacies.

In Cornwall the Bodmin & Wenford could run Pasty Pacers.

Edited by rab
  • Funny 3

Won't they just end up running in eastern Europe for the next thousand years; that's what seems to happen to old French autorails (though Caravelles were probably a lot more desirable than Pacers)  

http://www.railweb.ch/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016-09-15-Interregional-Calatori-IRC-Bistrita-Lama.jpg

There is a well established rule of thumb that seems to work internationally that if you replace a train service with buses you lose about two thirds of the passengers (In the 1950s and 60s this was often seen as a good thing because fewer passengers required less subsidy, more people using cars was good for the motot industry and railways were old fashioned)

That leads me to wonder how many passengers, if any, were lost by replacing proper trains with Pacers- (and yes I am aware that they were a stopgap alternative to completely closing services when BR had been left woefully short of rolling stock)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Completely destroy relationships with Iran and send them a whole ship load of pacers.  I bet the Iranian Revolutionary Guard will desperately try to turn the ship back lol.

• Like 1

Erm... Already been done!!!

image.png.a1c513feadfc6c4d9100153cc054f987.png

We did that with the 141s, so I suppose it could work with later Pacers!!!

There's a prototype for everything, it'd seem...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

Paint them umber and use them to replace the royal train once the Windsors have travelled more than 50 miles from London.  A cross platform change of trains would not be too much for HRH and her ever expanding family. 

They may begin to understand what the phrase "it's grim up north" might actually  mean in a railway conext. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

They were built on a high speed wagon chassis so convert them to powered wagons.  They could then be used for wagonload freight on branchs that would be tricky to work with a loco and shunt themselves into a convenient block train for the rest of the journey.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Use them to build a Stonehenge replica in Yrkshire, so that northerners too can have a laugh at people with a shaky grasp of neolithic religious history and a penchant for wearing bedsheets.

• Funny 6

On 12/07/2019 at 22:04, jonny777 said:

Paint them umber and use them to replace the royal train once the Windsors have travelled more than 50 miles from London.  A cross platform change of trains would not be too much for HRH and her ever expanding family. 

They may begin to understand what the phrase "it's grim up north" might actually  mean in a railway conext. 

In a similar vein, perhaps the company that runs the Orient Express, Grand Hibernian etc could launch a unit with a luxuriously fitted interior and sleeping area as ‘The Belmond Great British Pacer Experience’, spending several days travelling around the north of England (and occasionally Cornwall) but charging a ridiculously high price.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Fill them full of troops (so you'll only need a couple to take the modern British Army...) and send them across the channel to invade France and to free Europe from Hitler's Tyranny?

Oh wait, I'm 75 Years, 1 Month and 8 Days too late for that...

Edited by sem34090
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Perhaps we should launch one into space? 

That's be right. Elon Musk launches a romantically intrepid lone (dummy) astronaut on an infinite road trip in a red roadster, and the UK replies by sending up a Pacerful of grumpy commuters complaining about leaks and rattles. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PatB said:

That's be right. Elon Musk launches a romantically intrepid lone (dummy) astronaut on an infinite road trip in a red roadster, and the UK replies by sending up a Pacerful of grumpy commuters complaining about leaks and rattles. 

Pmsl

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Make the Americans suffer them?

image.png.be46b3df654f313ad75c84271af8a987.png

Close but no cigar.  The set (142090) went to Vancouver, BC, Canada for a railfair and used on a shuttle service to no great success.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Close but no cigar.  The set (142090) went to Vancouver, BC, Canada for a railfair and used on a shuttle service to no great success.  

LEV2 prototype Pacer went to the US though: https://mobile.twitter.com/leeelkwright/status/506159543844622336

I think this was a unique larger and longer version and it did briefly run a proper service. More info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_railbuses

Apologies for this post. Given that I wrote it and it’s in the silly Pacer thread it’s uncharacteristically factual and sensible in two ways. :P

• Funny 2