Class 73s in Wales

richscylla

I know that Class 73s were very much Southern Region locos - but did they ever get to South Wales? My layout is set between Newport and Cardiff but I have a massive soft spot for the 73s. Whilst I know I could invoke Rule 1, I have my own Rule 1, i.e. if it happened once then I can justify it. 

So did a Class 73 ever run on those lines, especially pre-2004.  I know that last year the GBRf tour ran a pair to Cardiff, and I'm guessing that might mean it hasn't happened before. 

52 minutes ago, richscylla said:

I know that Class 73s were very much Southern Region locos - but did they ever get to South Wales? My layout is set between Newport and Cardiff but I have a massive soft spot for the 73s. Whilst I know I could invoke Rule 1, I have my own Rule 1, i.e. if it happened once then I can justify it. 

So did a Class 73 ever run on those lines, especially pre-2004.  I know that last year the GBRf tour ran a pair to Cardiff, and I'm guessing that might mean it hasn't happened before. 

Never heard of it happening, but I can think of circumstances where it might have happened:-

A lot of 'slam-door' stock from the SR ended its days in scrapyards in South Wales.

Empty steel wagons being cleared from Hamworthy.

A short rake of containers might have been despatched from Southampton; whilst I've never heard of this happening in South Wales, there was a well-recorded incident of a 73 work through to Birmingham via Oxford. This would have been in the 1980s.

Two class 73s were used on a Cross Country service to Birmingham in the 80s following the failure of the rostered 47, Southern "Thumpers" worked through to Cardiff in the 1970s so an ED to South Wales isn't beyond imagination.

Also, don't forget Merseyside had (has???) a small fleet of ex-Southern EDs for engineering work.  Again, it's not beyond the pale to imagine a visit south by a Merseyside ED to collect some sort of engineering related gubbins. 

• Agree 1

I remember the Newport rail open days had a '73 in the line up of locos on platform 1 of the station , this was back in the early to mid nineties 

So before privatisation of B,R, 

Don't know if it arrived under its own power , it may have done so but it may well arrived in the company of a class 33 that was also present 

there if I remember rightly 

Albie 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

There was a railtour using two of the Merseyrail ones that visited Wales. But I don't think it got to the southern bit. I think it went via Chester to somewhere like Shrewsbury.

I think all the Merseyrail ones are preserved now. Although I think one has been gutted.

Jason

73001 is being returned to mainline condition at LSL Crewe but 73002 is being stripped for spares at Eastleigh to return 001 to service.  After that’s done, it will cosmetically restored and displayed at Hornby, at Margate.

73003 is preserved and based at Swindon (I think) but travels to other preserved railways and 73004 was scrapped in 2004 at EMR Kingsbury.  73005 and 73006 were rebuilt into Caledonian Sleeper Class 73/9, 73966 (73005) and 73967 (73006).

Edited by jools1959
  • Informative/Useful 1

There was an inter-city livered class 73 at Canton open day in July 1985. I think it was 73 123 Gatwick Express.

Also, I know it's not Cardiff but I did see a class 73 at Swindon station once in the mid 1980s. It arrived light engine from the Reading direction and shortly afterwards passed back through the station with some coaching stock from the works.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:37, wombatofludham said:

Two class 73s were used on a Cross Country service to Birmingham in the 80s following the failure of the rostered 47, Southern "Thumpers" worked through to Cardiff in the 1970s so an ED to South Wales isn't beyond imagination.

Also, don't forget Merseyside had (has???) a small fleet of ex-Southern EDs for engineering work.  Again, it's not beyond the pale to imagine a visit south by a Merseyside ED to collect some sort of engineering related gubbins. 

A railtour with 2 x 73s ran from Chester to Llandudno Junction once and ran back light, due to the limit of their fuel tanks, so South Wales may have been a trip too far.

5 minutes ago, Merfyn Jones said:

A railtour with 2 x 73s ran from Chester to Llandudno Junction once and ran back light, due to the limit of their fuel tanks, so South Wales may have been a trip too far.

I've a feeling that was the one I meant. Unless they did more than one.

Photo and a bit more detail here.

http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/thirtyfive.htm

Jason

Class 73s visited South Wales on several occasions.

They visited Cardiff Canton for tyre turning on several occasions during the late 1980s, I saw one there, but cannot recall the number, my brother saw another running light through Newport en-route to Canton on a different occasion. Both were in the 'Inter City' red stripe style livery.

Another was present at the 1985, Cardiff Canton Open Day, also in the aforementioned IC livery..

I have a photo or two of 73136 in Mainline Livery, at Cardiff Canton, somewhere in my collection (see following post).

I also have some images of the GBRf Cl.73 used as a shunter at Cardiff's Tremorfa steel works, when that company took over the Celsa (UK) contract.

Here are a couple of images I took at Cardiff Central on Saturday, 18th August, 1990.

Brian R

59005, 73136 en route Barry Open Day 180890-mod-1.jpg

73136 en route Barry Open Day 180890.jpg

59005 73136 50019.jpg

Edited by br2975