Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Okehampton Activities?

• RMweb Premium

I shall shortly be staying for a week in Exeter with my wife and 15-year old son and am planning what we might do. I'm aware of the Sunday train service to Okehampton but I have no idea what there is to see or do once we get there. My family have no great interest in railways or train rides for their own sake; is there anything there that might be of interest to "normals"? I believe it's possible to walk over Meldon Viaduct but my wife can't stand heights and they both refused to set foot on Pontcysylte aqueduct when we went there.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Take a trip to Teignmouth by train and go to the beach. Disappointingly this will mean that you have to go via Dawlish and along the seawall, a wonderful trip and a real must. If there is nothing of interest for your family there, maybe look to extend your journey to somewhere in Torbay. 

In Okehampton there is a small castle (English Heritage) and there is access to some nice walks up on to Dartmoor. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Exeter is a wonderful place with loads to explore. Down by the old Dock and the Canal is great.Check out the local Tourist Info websites etc. Maybe get a bus to Sidmouth & or Lyme Regis; there is an express coastal service. Sidmouth is busy but a lovely and quite old fashioned town and Lyme is OK. 

Take the train up the line to Barnstable and also down to Exmouth from Central. I know Exmouth and it too has places to walk and admire over the Estuary with loads of hidden interest. I think there is a boat across to the other side of the Estuary to Starcross from where you can catch the train back to St David's

Not sure about Barnstable as I actually have never been there.

Certainly take the train along the coast to Dawlish warren and walk along to Dawlish then train again to Newton Abbot and then down to Paignton for the heritage railway trip and the sights. Torquay is a bit brash but a lovely place to explore.

Outside Exeter, Killerton House and Gardens is a worthwhile place to visit.

If you do go, Okehampton is a bit of a hike from the Station but is a lovely Devon town to explore; there may be a shuttle bus from the station? The trip there is excellent. 

If you have a car then take it onto Dartmoor; so many wonderful sights away from the usual tourist hot spots.

If you enjoy looking for birds and waders then the area is great.

Enjoy the Devon air.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you want to get a steam trip in, then take the train to Paignton, then get the Dartmouth steam railway to Kingswear. It's a lovely line and Kingswear is very nice (as is Dartmouth just the other side of the river). If you get your timings right you could then get a boat to Tonnes then get the train back to Exeter from there. Dependant on the tides this might work better in reverse. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having gone to school in Okehampton, the only thing I found to do was go to the pub,  or a walk on the moors. Not only is the Torbay and Dartmouth railway accessible by rail but also the South Devon railway at Totnes.  Plenty of trains to parts foreign over Mr Brunel's bridge, I think GWR (the new one) do a rover ticket for Devon and Cornwall.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Thanks everybody so far. I should say that we don't have a car and will be relying on public transport. We are staying in a flat right next to St Davids station.

Bus services are pretty good in the area but I am not sure about the rural routes.

P

• RMweb Gold

Bike ride any good?  You can hire bikes at Okehampton station and ride alongside the trackbed to Meldon, including the viaduct; nice views from this up towards Yes Tor.  Yes Tor is a spectacular walk but watch the weather and check the Army firing range website for access.  There are some nice friendly  pubs to eat in in Oakhampton. 

Exeter has a canal from the Maritime Museum for about a mile towards Starcross, and you can hire rowing boats.  If you’re a wildlifey sort of family, there’s boat trips on the estuary to see the Avocets. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Bike ride any good?  You can hire bikes at Okehampton station and ride alongside the trackbed to Meldon, including the viaduct; nice views from this up towards Yes Tor.  Yes Tor is a spectacular walk but watch the weather and check the Army firing range website for access.  There are some nice friendly  pubs to eat in in Oakhampton. 

Exeter has a canal from the Maritime Museum for about a mile towards Starcross, and you can hire rowing boats.  If you’re a wildlifey sort of family, there’s boat trips on the estuary to see the Avocets. 

Speaking of the army firing range, if you go when it is open to the public you should also be able to see the Okehampton target railway, and possibly the remains of some earlier target tramways. It is a great walk around Dartmoor in any case, although slightly less enjoyable when I was there several years ago due to the torrential rain and strong winds, which inevitably only started when I’d already reached the most exposed, remote point on the walk!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, Exeter has loads to do. 

Nobody though has yet mentioned a 25 minute train journey to Exmouth for a long sandy beach.  Ok, the beach gets better the further from the town you get, but there is a "Land Train" that does a full circuit including most of the seafront and the railway station.

And I agree, if you want an excellent scenic train trip, Exeter to Paignton and then steam to Kingswear.  Spectacular coastal and estuary views, and Kingswear/Dartmouth at the far end.  Plenty of interest for non-steam buffs!

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

As well as the land train at Exmouth there is the Big Beach Bus which is scheduled for an open top vehicle. It even runs in service from and back to Exeter (where it is based), although an 0730 start is a bit early; the homeward trip is nicely timed if its a sunny evening.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, DLT said:

As others have said, Exeter has loads to do. 

Nobody though has yet mentioned a 25 minute train journey to Exmouth for a long sandy beach.  Ok, the beach gets better the further from the town you get, but there is a "Land Train" that does a full circuit including most of the seafront and the railway station.

And I agree, if you want an excellent scenic train trip, Exeter to Paignton and then steam to Kingswear.  Spectacular coastal and estuary views, and Kingswear/Dartmouth at the far end.  Plenty of interest for non-steam buffs!

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave.

"Take the train up the line to Barnstable and also down to Exmouth from Central. I know Exmouth and it too has places to walk and admire....." earlier dave.

Phil

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, HillsideDepot said:

As well as the land train at Exmouth there is the Big Beach Bus which is scheduled for an open top vehicle. It even runs in service from and back to Exeter (where it is based), although an 0730 start is a bit early; the homeward trip is nicely timed if its a sunny evening.

For your interest Andy there are signs and some remains of the Exmouth to Sidmouth Junction route via the Junction for Sidmouth at Tipton St Johns. I believe that the line came through Littleham where the bus route takes you.

Don't forget also that there is a lovely little beach at Beer, just down the hill from that Peco place!!!!!!!!

Phil

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

If you want to go a little further, take the train to Liskeard and hop on the local train to Looe. It will be a bit busy in the holiday season!

And at Liskeard, I think you can still marvel at the quirky semaphores still in use?

• Like 2

Sidmouth Folk Festival is on 2-9 August, great atmosphere in town with loads of free events and pop up stalls etc.

Exmouth good for it's sandy beach, if going by train then Topsham is nice too, could walk from there to Darts Farm for (expensive) farm fresh food and other nik naks - good fish and chips there, though again expensive.

You're close to ( or staying in?) the GW Hotel which does good beer, or go up the hill to the Wetherspoons Imperial for good beer and cheap food. Okey is a great starting point for walks/cycle rides. I assume that there will be plenty of leaflets with local events on at your hotel.

• Like 1

Its a long walk from Okehampton  to Okehampton station up a very steep hill.  The town has an average Lidl and various tat shops, very  average.   Meldon Viaduct is nice and wide, nothing like dodgy welsh aqueducts with a long drop one side and death by drowning on the other, worth a visit.

Barnstaple is worth a visit, like everywhere else on the old LSWR the station is a huge hike from the town, which has two model shops though I have seldom found the better one actually open.  Exmouth, Crediton, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Newt and Abbott, Paignton, Totnes, and the Dart Valley rly to Buckfast;eigh are all great half day trips by train.  Just avoid the peak services with Mumbai like loadings.

Unfortunately I can't afford public transport myself so I visit all those places in the space of a day using a car which cost around £600 and a £30 room at a premier Inn.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Newt and Abbott

Sounds like a country pub! Okehampton has a charm, the Lidl is fine - and Waitrose is next door for the snooty - there are individual shops and cafes, too, and an olde worlde arcade. There is a cafe at the station, as well. Simmons Park bears a walk round.

A nice-enough place for people with working legs. 

• Informative/Useful 1

As far was North Devon goes, we thought very little of Barnstaple itself when we went there. Cycling along the Westward Ho! line trackbed was fun though. Ilfracombe was pretty good (especially enjoyed the tour they do from there on a RIB), and I think there's a fairly decent bus service from Barnstaple.

Couldn't get away from Torbay fast enough, though. Not my idea of fun at all.

• Friendly/supportive 1