Choice of air compressor

No doubt this will have been covered before.  However, my trusty old compressor (25 years old) has failed and I need a new one.

I have looked at the various airbrush companies and can see various models.  I would be very grateful for any recommendations from fellow modellers.  I would like a compressor with a reservoir.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Andrew

I had a small garage compressor. Something like this but an older model.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-bandit-iv-8-litre-air-compressor/

At the time it was an inexpensive option & on paper it was good.

Much more powerful than you will ever need for an airbrush. The older model did not have a moisture trap, so I had to fit my own.

There was one very big problem: it was loud...very loud. I would not use it after 8pm because I did not want to upset the neighbours (not that I have ever upset them anyway) & when the compressor started, it gave me (& anyone else) a bit of a fright.

It is more suited to a home garage compressor, which is the role it is now used for.

I have replaced it with this:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/quiet-run-compressor-2/

Far less powerful than the previous one but easily enough for an airbrush.

I have to use & replace oil in the motor once a year, but the moisture trap is included.

The noise is minimal. I was watching a DVD while airbrushing last night. The TV was not on very loud but I could not hear the compressor at all.

Drawback is the cost. I am effectively paying a high premium for something to be much quieter than it needs to be.

I know others who have got AS-186 compressors & they seem to work nicely. They are not as quiet as mine, but they work at a comfortable noise level.

• Agree 1

Like many I bought a compressor and airbrushes similar to this one, many have reported its good value, supplied with or without storage tanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Airbrush-Compressor-Kit-Spray-Gun-Hose-Air-Brush-Paint-23L-1-6-HP/312251219818?epid=15024331792&hash=item48b39f7f6a:g:u58AAOSwGPNcEipp

I don't use it that much, its cheap and cheerful but it works, do check out alternatives as there are plenty of suppliers about and prices do vary, think mine came from nail care supplier

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I started off with a cheap compressor, it did the job while I learnt how to airbrush.  However, it could not do more than 30 minutes without overheating and cutting out.  Recently I replaced it with an Iwatta Smart Jet which has kept me going for over 2 hour spraying sessions.  But don’t let that stop you buying a cheaper one if that will do all you need.

Generally speaking, expensive is not always better. You may end up paying extra for features which you don't ever need.

Buying cheap will allow you to learn what you really want/need & if you then find that what you have doesn't meet your requirements, you can buy something more suitable.

You can always sell the first one to someone else so they can learn what they really want/need.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Generally speaking, expensive is not always better. You may end up paying extra for features which you don't ever need.

Buying cheap will allow you to learn what you really want/need & if you then find that what you have doesn't meet your requirements, you can buy something more suitable.

You can always sell the first one to someone else so they can learn what they really want/need.

That’s exactly what I did;  when I realised I needed something with a higher spec I gave my basic compressor and airbrush to a friend who is now using them to learn how to airbrush.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Right Away said:

One without a tank.

I have heard remarks that a tank is not really necessary for airbrushing, so I have the following questions (which unusually for this forum are entirely relevant to this thread :D).

Mine is on about 10%-20% if the time I am spraying. The rest of the time it is using the pressure in the tank giving a nice, smooth air flow.

Does yours have to run whenever you are spraying & does the air flow feel slightly pulsed?

• RMweb Gold

The   AIRBRUSHING MYTH  OF PULSED AIR during airbrushing was only ever mentioned with the tankless compressors WITHOUT A MOISTURE TRAP/PRESSURE GAUGE and with just a short air hose attachment.

As we have all said a hundred times before. The ubiquitous AS- 186 without a tank but with a  moisture trap and gauge and a 1metre hose does not produce pulsed air.  These compressors stop pumping as soon as you stop spraying. They are more than adequate for 4mm and 7mm railway modelling projects.

DSC03994.JPG.be498e4dfbbdcf8a51e014f2ae3e0a67.JPG

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

One without a tank.

I have heard remarks that a tank is not really necessary for airbrushing, so I have the following questions (which unusually for this forum are entirely relevant to this thread :D).

Mine is on about 10%-20% if the time I am spraying. The rest of the time it is using the pressure in the tank giving a nice, smooth air flow.

Does yours have to run whenever you are spraying & does the air flow feel slightly pulsed?

My compressor will run whenever the airbrush is operated but I can confirm there is no pulsing whatsoever. 

Following a positive mention in a magazine in 2015 and not wanting to spend a fortune, I purchased it. For the price, I was not expecting a great deal but was pleasantly surprised. I use a 3 metre hose for convenience.

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If size and noise are not a problem, Aldi should have air compressors and airline accessories on sale again within the next few weeks

They have been in the shops mid September for the last couple of years.

If you need an excuse to buy one, you can also say it's for checking the car tyres - road safety and saving messing with garage coin operated machines ;)

[I do regularly use mine for that, it saves a load of hassle].

You will need a separate water trap, but a combined trap/regulator is less than a tenner on ebay.

Just make sure it is a water trap, half the places selling stuff like that on ebay do not have a clue what things are and are listing dual units with lubricator modules for air tools as water traps or even oil removers...

Another vote for the AS series from here.
Last month, after a lot of research, I bought a TC-80T (AS186 clone) from https://www.everythingairbrush.com and have been very happy with the performance.
For me buying a compressor with a tank is a 'no brainer', it adds very little to the cost, but is sure to provide good consistent pressure. Probably important if you're considering using a bigger 0.4mm nozzle airbrush.

If you haven't already got, or need, a better airbrush, the sets from everything airbrush work out a good price from a reputable dealer who will happily give advice over the phone. I'd also expect them to give better service in the future if anything does go wrong compared to the eBay cowboys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/08/2019 at 23:45, Pete the Elaner said:

1) Does yours have to run whenever you are spraying - yes. They aren't exactly noisy, certainly not obtrusive. Maybe if I was using my Makita AC1300 for model spraying, it would be a tad noisy, but the tank would probably last me a week. :D

2) Yes/No. Yes - if you do not connect anything to the outlet on the compressor, you can hear and feel the pulses. However since 100% of people will be attaching a hose and an airbrush, the answer is then No. The volume of the hose is enough to damp the pulses out and the flow from the brush is perfectly smooth.

One thing I have noticed with my tankless compressor is that it can't push more than a constant 25psi through the brush. This isn't really an issue for me as I usually paint using between 15-20psi. I would presume a tanked compressor could maintain a slightly higher PSI but how high and for how long, I do not know.

Lastly another thumbs up for Everything Airbrush, my Harder & Steenbeck came from there and I have purchased several spares and accessories from there. They are very competitively priced and offer excellent service. JANSC.

• Like 1

I'm using a Jun-air compressor intended for labs, its a bit like Pete the Elaner's Machine mart recommendation - look out on ebay and you might find one at the £100 mark, but you will almost certainly need to collect it due to the weight. Its ever so quiet and can run all day long.

Jon