Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

24 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Every so often one of the single car units would lose the top side vacuum and go piling into the buffers at Severn Beach.

Indeed. 55033 (set B133) did so in about 1980, and this explains why it has the 'pipe' end rebuilt without a headcode box,

cheers

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Wolverhampton Low Level

Wolverhampton Low Level 6.6.92

This picture is from 1995!

Curious that they seem to have dug out the platform under the awning at the end of the bay compared to the earlier photo (between the platform and the wall). Presumably to do with start of demolishing(?) but just seems an odd way to start - if that is what was happening.

(Compare to picture with cl 25)

Edited by highpeakman
edit to reduce number of pictures

I remember seeing Wolves Low Level on a tour behind 37010 and 042 in August 1995, I had no clue it existed and was gobsmacked to see the abandoned GUV. I take it that it is all gone now. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting and poignant, having grown up close to Wolverhampton but well after passengers stopped using Low Level. I would argue though that it was a parcels depot when these pictures were taken, not a goods yard, so definitely more suitable to the decrepit stations thread! ;)

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

I remember seeing Wolves Low Level on a tour behind 37010 and 042 in August 1995, I had no clue it existed and was gobsmacked to see the abandoned GUV. I take it that it is all gone now. 

The station building has been renovated and turned into a conference centre.

I’ve  been there for a couple of events, it has been tastefully restored and makes for an excellent venue.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Interesting and poignant, having grown up close to Wolverhampton but well after passengers stopped using Low Level. I would argue though that it was a parcels depot when these pictures were taken, not a goods yard, so definitely more suitable to the decrepit stations thread! ;)

It's my thread so I'll post what I like, so nuh! :P

I did actually think about starting a thread about those parcel depots that survived into the 70/80s, but I don't know if there are enough examples to make it worthwhile.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/06/2020 at 16:56, montyburns56 said:

It's my thread so I'll post what I like, so nuh! :P

I did actually think about starting a thread about those parcel depots that survived into the 70/80s, but I don't know if there are enough examples to make it worthwhile.

oldham mumps pcd ?

6 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Wasn't it actually called Oldham Clegg St though or was that something else?

Yes it was. There was a large amount of mail order traffic at one time from Oldham.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lawrence Hill was a busy yard into the early 1980s.

The first and last photos show 16t mins loaded with scrap. This was loaded by Messrs Birds and Pugsleys who each had a scrap yard at Stapleton Road the next station north of Lawrence Hill. The Lawrence Hill yard pilot would make a trip along the main line to shunt the scrap yard, and bring the loaded wagons back to LH for weighing, they then went to Llanelli Old Castle steel works. I think the weighbridge road is the one just behind the up platform.

The goods shed was used for unloading bagged cement from Aberthaw.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

6 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Picture of the weighbridge from 1989

Thanks for that.

As well as scrap from Stapleton Road the civil engineers sometimes had wagons of scrap rail etc sent there for weighing before forwarding to Woodhams or Coopers Metals.
Also on at least one occasion a train of dogfish ballast hoppers from Meldon Quarry were weighed. The civil engineer was perplexed that relaying sites often seemed to be short of ballast despite having ordered the 'correct' number of wagon loads.  It transpired that at Meldon wagons were routinely loaded lighter than full, but charged as full to the CCE.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
spelling
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Tim V said:

Picture of the weighbridge from 1989

Lawrence Hill January 1989 OM1 276-003.jpg

Great picture,  the weighbridge hut is tiny. It may end up putting in an appearance on Peasevern Yard if I can fit it in...

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Avonside Wharf 1972

D2121 at Avonside Wharf, 1972

I never get tired of seeing this picture,  it is one of the key photo's that inspired me to build this (I have the 03 as well)

20200623_155533.jpg.0b631830a58b89fbd0be45220a094559.jpg

• Like 13