Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Next 18 reliability

RAF96

Now that Next 18 has been around for a while has anyone had any reliability problems with them, such as decoder coming loose from the socket, poor running maybe due to high current drain via the twinned up track and motor pins, etc, particularly in 00.

I have anecdotal evidence of a factory fit decoder popping out of the socket in transit and wondered if the plug and socket grip is not as firm as other pin types.

Although likely more suited to N gauge due to its size, most retailers flag them as suitable for h0 / TT / 00 as well.

Thanks Rob

Hi,

in some locos I use for test purpose I have installed a Next18-to-8pin adapter because I have to change the decoder quite often.

Due to the fact that I sometimes manage to bend or break the 8-pins, sometimes even pins on the the 21pin connectors, the Next18 is a real advantage because it can be changed easily even without much care and in my case even without magnifying glasses ;-) .

I dont know how often I changed the decoder, but surely some hundred times, and the connection is still the same as it was at the beginning.

The Next18 indeed gives not such hard fixing as the 8pin or 21pin does.

In case of a dropped package in transit the decoder could eventually pop out of the socket, but in normal handling it never did.

I use a decoder and adapters from D&H and I never had problems with current overload, even in a RailroadRange Hornby Tornado with Seuthe smoker.

Wolf

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Not too sure how many UK outline 00 locos have Next 18.

Latest version Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2T is the only one that I'm aware of.

Maybe this is a useful place to start a list?

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got 7 German locos and two 009 Baldwin’s with next18 decoders and not had any issues. I use a wood skewer or coffee stirrer to click them in pressing in the middle of the socket to avoid components. I suspect they are the easiest to not get fully seated as I noticed on the first one only one end was fully in and adopted my current method of installation.  

• Thanks 1

Minerva Models 0 gauge Manning Wardle  K Class. ZIMO MX658N18 sound decoder, fitted 12 months to EP model (so lots of rough handling) without problems. This also uses D&H adapter in place of a conventional PCB.

Recommended where space is at a premium, but if there's room, a PluX 22 interface gives more Function Output connections and a more robust fixing.

I expect there will more small(ish) outline Bachmann 00 gauge models with Next18 as revisions and new tooling are rolled out. This would fit comfortably with their use of Next 18 in Graham Farish N gauge.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks for replies to date. It appears that if correctly installed there is not a problem either with security or reliable operation with Next 18.

Possibly the problem report I had heard of is an example of the one (poor fit) causing the other (poor reliability).

I appreciate the robust Plux format offers greater scope and also that at a push any decoder will fit any socket, given that not all functions will then be available.

• RMweb Gold

Not had a problem (yet) with a Next 18, but a 21 pin decoder caused me grief by repeatedly working loose in the socket. Got fed up with having to gain access and re-seat the 21 pin decoder, so I hard wired an 8 wire (without pins) decoder. 

Just glad it wasn't on an EMU/DMU; all that repeated body removal and it could well have been confined to the scrap bin.

Whilst on the subject of fitting decoders in multiple units, B and H might do well to devise an easily removable part of the underframe, held by screws which would give good access to the wiring and socket. Such a removable "panel" would by necessity have to incorporate some underbody mouldings.

No more "baited breath" syndrome working on your £400+ brand new 4CEP whilst waiting for the body lugs to shear off or the glazing to craze over!

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Right Away said:

......Whilst on the subject of fitting decoders in multiple units, B and H might do well to devise an easily removable part of the underframe, held by screws which would give good access to the wiring and socket.

Such a removable "panel" would by necessity have to incorporate some underbody mouldings.

Bachmann have made a start in this direction, with removable panels allowing access to the decoder sockets on a couple of models; but they're still releasing most of their other newly tooled models without this facility.

There's absolutely no excuse for not switching to easy access, on any new D&E models.

• Agree 3

I have a loco fitted with a Next18 socket (a Brawa model) where I could not get the decoder to fit reliably.  The loco ran for a while and then the decoder came loose; the lights still worked but the motor did not.  I could not discover any reason for this, so I concluded that the socket deviated in some small respect from the specification.  Normally the decoder goes into a socket with a perceptible click and is held firmly.

• Thanks 1