Priory Road - North East Essex in BR days

Izzy

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Richard Hall said:

That is really rather lovely. The Derby Lightweight is nicer than you are prepared to admit. Some good inspiration here, thank you for sharing.

Richard

That's very kind of you Richard.  Thank you.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Bob,  the running sequence pictures are great.   Please post more !

- Nigel

3 hours ago, D5158 said:

Love the operating potential of this layout.

Especially the sequence photographs.

Alan

Thank you both, and indeed to all those who have posted reactions.  I have more to post to finish this particular sequence, and will attempt to produce some for a later blue era one.

Bob

• Like 1

I was wondering when that diamond crossing would come into play.  Your trackplan is very similar to a little N gauge layout I built some years ago (apologies for display of horribly coarse and clumsy modelling below) and I suspect you have exactly the same problem I had: you can only shunt that kickback siding two wagons at a time due to insufficient distance between the crossover and buffer stops.  One of those ideas which look great in terms of making best use of space, but whose fatal flaw I didn't spot until I started running trains. Layout planners take note. 

131014_zps1b17b02f.jpg.33b148eeddf5754b4a2c9b26de2e0b68.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks interesting Richard. You'll please forgive me when I say I don't remember seeing it before. I was very taken by your 'Longframlington' when I saw that at the Felixstowe N gauge show a few years back, a really lovely layout that ran beautifully. The goods yard arrangements were I thought nice and different to the norm. I see that rather than re-laying that to 2FS your starting with a fresh plan.

In respect to kick-back sidings on limited space layouts I have to say that often I see arrangements that look good on paper, but in practice won't work at all. With PR I tried to 'massage' all the various parts to get some kind of balance, but if with the goods or cement trains there are any wagons already in their respective sidings then the shunting gets 'interesting', and needs care and a lot of thought if you aren't to get yourself in a right pickle.

If I re-post the trackplan which is in one of the first few pages somewhere to explain,

444023868_priory_road_track_plancopy.jpg.f2be9a701490921d5cb04a8ad4475605.jpg

the main platform headshunt was made just long enough to take the 2-car DMU's so the platform swop can take place as seen previously, and with the extra length to the toe of the slip blades just enough wagons with the longest loco I use (CL31) can be fitted in. The real challange with any train as such is where to put the wagons taken out if the parcels platform is already occupied.  This is where Templot came in very handy, printing various track plans I came up with out full size and 'playing' with the stock I had on them to test them out and see what might work. It really was a case of trying to get a quart into a pint pot!

Bob

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

That looks interesting Richard. You'll please forgive me when I say I don't remember seeing it before...

Bob

"Belstone" was my first attempt at building something after very many years out of the hobby.  It was a steep learning curve but quite a nice little terminus to operate, apart from that kickback siding.  I only had room for a J39 and two wagons beyond the crossover, which meant a lot of shuffling around to shunt the coal traffic.

Your semi-curved diamond crossing has Templot all over it, lovely piece of work. I'm glad you enjoyed Longframlington.  I'm not sure what to do with it now, might see if I can do another couple of shows while I build Billingboro.

Richard

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

That looks interesting Richard. You'll please forgive me when I say I don't remember seeing it before. I was very taken by your 'Longframlington' when I saw that at the Felixstowe N gauge show a few years back, a really lovely layout that ran beautifully. The goods yard arrangements were I thought nice and different to the norm. I see that rather than re-laying that to 2FS your starting with a fresh plan.

In respect to kick-back sidings on limited space layouts I have to say that often I see arrangements that look good on paper, but in practice won't work at all. With PR I tried to 'massage' all the various parts to get some kind of balance, but if with the goods or cement trains there are any wagons already in their respective sidings then the shunting gets 'interesting', and needs care and a lot of thought if you aren't to get yourself in a right pickle.

If I re-post the trackplan which is in one of the first few pages somewhere to explain,

444023868_priory_road_track_plancopy.jpg.f2be9a701490921d5cb04a8ad4475605.jpg

the main platform headshunt was made just long enough to take the 2-car DMU's so the platform swop can take place as seen previously, and with the extra length to the toe of the slip blades just enough wagons with the longest loco I use (CL31) can be fitted in. The real challange with any train as such is where to put the wagons taken out if the parcels platform is already occupied.  This is where Templot came in very handy, printing various track plans I came up with out full size and 'playing' with the stock I had on them to test them out and see what might work. It really was a case of trying to get a quart into a pint pot!

Bob

The track plan looks a lot like "Collier Street" out of the Peco set track plan book - except in 2mm finescale!  I knew it looked familiar - I built a layout based on the same track plan back in 2008 whilst teaching at Longreach State High School in the middle of Queensland.  This was because my wife was a Collier once upon a time and I watched a build of it on whichever version of RMWeb it was at the time.  Lots of potential for location adaptions - I did mine as 3rd Rail Electric.  May revisit it inspired by this.  @nebnoswal will say "layout dream what number?" but you have to have dreams.

I've particularly enjoyed the sequence photos.  Thank you for those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

The track plan looks a lot like "Collier Street" out of the Peco set track plan book - except in 2mm finescale!  I knew it looked familiar -

That's interesting. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the plan book or the plans so it's just purely coincidental.  How strange. PR's track plan actually came about as a basic amalgamation of the GE's predilection for using 'crossed over' sidings like this with a single-slip instead of the diamond to provide trapping of both on quite a few of it's smaller stations - Little Welnetham on the Long Melford to Bury St Edmunds branch was where I first spotted it - with the general practice of using a single-slip on double lines to reach goods yards/sidings without having facing points. Because the angle of the diamond was too actue to be a single-slip I just used it combined with separate traps instead. Funny how things come about isn't it.

Pleased your liking the sequence shots. More on the way.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

The BR green era running sequence Pt 4

A Derby lightweight now arrives from North. Again this is of course the same actual DMU as before now taking another role. This is the service from Cambridge to Colchester which terminates at PR so it carries passengers for the town centre from a wide area.

1400231539_RMwebPRRS51.jpg.08d20516609d7d8b5e9ef85cd7551e5a.jpg

Once this has arrived the cement trip working is able to return to North.

1161560110_RMwebPRRS52.jpg.e81bf4333cc856ae820c200fa01d139b.jpg

551675313_RMwebPRRS53.jpg.dc7cead8b3e547abea226c1cd03721b0.jpg

Following it’s departure the CL24 leaves the goods siding, couples to the NPCS in the parcels road which has by now been loaded/unloaded and then also departs to North.

558068297_RMwebPRRS54.jpg.c7d5e30a241b545e1b29f9a49d30d770.jpg

This is then followed by the DMU undertaking the previously seen move of transferring via the release crossover to the now vacated parcels platform.

1070689722_RMwebPRRS55.jpg.9d7ac2923fd4e17b9711f7eb1ba109f2.jpg

At this stage the last 309 EMU working from Liverpool St enters from North. After the normal time wait it departs onward to Walton.

Now the Derby DMU leaves for North, taking those finished with work or shopping etc. and homeward bound as did the 309 to Walton.

1113791075_RMwebPRRS56.jpg.a76693a8a5231ff49786a51d43086970.jpg

And that’s it I'm afraid.

Although this sequence does cover the basics it is open to alteration as I choose, adding extra trains and so forth when it seems appropriate. As it stands it takes between 1 1/2 to 2hrs to complete, longer if more shunting is involved. I'll try and illustrate that in the blue era sequence to come to show that even with just one siding quite a bit can be involved.

It would seem logical to extend the general sequence more towards the end, to run more passenger services along with perhaps a smaller evening parcels train and/or goods as it ends a bit abruptly, and is an aspect I’m working on. What I am trying to avoid is too many obviously repetitive movements but using the same basic stock/locos and which I’m finding is quite difficult to achieve. But it does show I think what it is possible to run as it stands and give some enjoyment. That a small layout doesn't always have to be too limiting.

Bob

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Because the angle of the diamond was too acute to be a single-slip I just used it combined with separate traps instead. Funny how things come about isn't it.

Could you not have made it an outside slip by making the two traps turnouts and joining them together?  Would that give you more flexibility?

Nice to see a sequence of movements which have some logic and purpose behind them.

Jim

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Could you not have made it an outside slip by making the two traps turnouts and joining them together?  Would that give you more flexibility?

Nice to see a sequence of movements which have some logic and purpose behind them.

Jim

I did look at that Jim, but after thinking about it and not seeing any need for wagons to be moved from one to other - I think in the locations I’ve seen the arrangement they may have been moved by local means, pinch bars/horse etc. to suit the direction for collection, I decided to take the easiest and simpler looking way.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Izzy said:

The BR green era running sequence Pt 4

A Derby lightweight now arrives from North. Again this is of course the same actual DMU as before now taking another role. This is the service from Cambridge to Colchester which terminates at PR so it carries passengers for the town centre from a wide area.

1400231539_RMwebPRRS51.jpg.08d20516609d7d8b5e9ef85cd7551e5a.jpg

Once this has arrived the cement trip working is able to return to North.

1161560110_RMwebPRRS52.jpg.e81bf4333cc856ae820c200fa01d139b.jpg

551675313_RMwebPRRS53.jpg.dc7cead8b3e547abea226c1cd03721b0.jpg

Following it’s departure the CL24 leaves the goods siding, couples to the NPCS in the parcels road which has by now been loaded/unloaded and then also departs to North.

558068297_RMwebPRRS54.jpg.c7d5e30a241b545e1b29f9a49d30d770.jpg

This is then followed by the DMU undertaking the previously seen move of transferring via the release crossover to the now vacated parcels platform.

1070689722_RMwebPRRS55.jpg.9d7ac2923fd4e17b9711f7eb1ba109f2.jpg

At this stage the last 309 EMU working from Liverpool St enters from North. After the normal time wait it departs onward to Walton.

Now the Derby DMU leaves for North, taking those finished with work or shopping etc. and homeward bound as did the 309 to Walton.

1113791075_RMwebPRRS56.jpg.a76693a8a5231ff49786a51d43086970.jpg

And that’s it I'm afraid.

Although this sequence does cover the basics it is open to alteration as I choose, adding extra trains and so forth when it seems appropriate. As it stands it takes between 1 1/2 to 2hrs to complete, longer if more shunting is involved. I'll try and illustrate that in the blue era sequence to come to show that even with just one siding quite a bit can be involved.

It would seem logical to extend the general sequence more towards the end, to run more passenger services along with perhaps a smaller evening parcels train and/or goods as it ends a bit abruptly, and is an aspect I’m working on. What I am trying to avoid is too many obviously repetitive movements but using the same basic stock/locos and which I’m finding is quite difficult to achieve. But it does show I think what it is possible to run as it stands and give some enjoyment. That a small layout doesn't always have to be too limiting.

Bob

Cracking layout! Thanks for sequence photos.....now have to start st beginning of thread and do a full catch up!...where a lot of layouts go wrong us the tone of colours....yours vis spot on!...looking forward to the catch up.

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Cracking layout! Thanks for sequence photos.....now have to start st beginning of thread and do a full catch up!...where a lot of layouts go wrong us the tone of colours....yours vis spot on!...looking forward to the catch up.

G

Any up coming shows for layout?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Any up coming shows for layout?

I'm ever so sorry but as I mentioned at the beginning of the BR Green era sequence photo posts, nice though it would have been to have been able to do so it cannot be exhibited for a number of reasons. It's why I decided to do the sequence shots. I am pleased people have liked them, and more will be coming along when I can get them done and sorted out, a blue era set.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I'm ever so sorry but as I mentioned at the beginning of the BR Green era sequence photo posts, nice though it would have been to have been able to do so it cannot be exhibited for a number of reasons. It's why I decided to do the sequence shots. I am pleased people have liked them, and more will be coming along when I can get them done and sorted out, a blue era set.

Bob

Need to read text rather than just looking at pics

Hi Bob,

Fabulous!

Many thanks for showing us your sequence pictures, I and I’m sure, many others, really appreciate the effort it takes.

It’s also sobering to read your descriptions and realise all the conversions you have done, truly a labour of love. And so worthwhile.

Cheers,

John 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated. 

Before I load another part of the sequence has anybody spotted something unusual in a couple of the photos? I've only just seen it myself, but it does illustrate that following prototype practice can have it's benefits. No prizes I'm afraid.

Bob