Revolution Class 313 and 314 in N

JR_P

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Yesterday Mike H, Mike B and I joined the 'Peps On Tour: Sussex Rambler' Class 313 farewell railtour organised by the Branch Line Society and Southern Railway as the nearly 50-year service life of these venerable units comes to an end.

IMG_4252.jpg.242fd47cf56e56a7e4a147818fe02b26.jpg

The day raised £25000 for the Chestnut Tree House children's hospice and the Railway Children charities through ticket sales, an auction of memorabilia and a raffle to which Revolution donated a Class 313 model, or rather a voucher redeemable against a model when they arrive.

IMG_4315.jpg.2681339d7cda031e2fed556fed1e04cf.jpg

I was genuinely surprised how many people came to photograph the tour, and how many of them were young adults and teenagers. 

On board the tour was well-known internet trainspotter Francis Bourgeois.  It was clear that he's quite a celebrity among youngsters in particular and at every stop he was asked for photographs or selfies, which he agreed to with unflagging courtesy and good humour, even when asked by not-so-young fanboys...

IMG_4281.JPG.a02a3e88350aac609c358c10d5c4f44f.JPG

Development of the Class 313 and 314 units is now nearing its end; the remaining deco samples should be here within the next few days and once approved we will look to close the order book and put the models into production.  If you are still unsure which model to order (or whether to order at all!) then they will be on display at the N Gauge Society's 'Celebration of N gauge' at the National Railway Museum in York on May 13th and 14th.

There's more information about the models, and the tour, on our website's news page.  And purely to avoid a slew of questions: No, we don't have any plans to produce these in 00!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

On 30/04/2023 at 18:07, Revolution Ben said:

Development of the Class 313 and 314 units is now nearing its end; the remaining deco samples should be here within the next few days and once approved we will look to close the order book and put the models into production.  If you are still unsure which model to order (or whether to order at all!) then they will be on display at the N Gauge Society's 'Celebration of N gauge' at the National Railway Museum in York on May 13th and 14th.

There's more information about the models, and the tour, on our website's news page.  And purely to avoid a slew of questions: No, we don't have any plans to produce these in 00!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

just wondering if you are going to use the research and modelling of the 313 and 314 as a possibility of making the 508 sometime in the future?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

I haven't researched the 508s deeply, but I believe Merseyrail changed the light clusters in the early 2000s which immediately means tooling new cab car bodyshells and associated light guides.

The closest might be a retailer commission representing a 508 in pre-2000 condition - with the caveat that there may be some inaccuracies in the underframe I don't know about - but there are no such plans at this time.

cheers

Ben A

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You would need to tool up a new Trailer Second, as well as new underframes for the Driving cars, as these were DC only. The good news is that you could then also use the TS with the 314 to make a 315. You could also model the 508 in original 4-car configuration for the South-Western lines, as well as Merseyside, pre-refurbishment.

Depending on costs, could you just get a new end slide done for the post-refurbishment 507/508s - there are some wonderful liveries you could do.

At the end of the day, it is making the numbers work. I am sure there are a lot of NW modellers who would be interested but whether that would be enough to make the project viable is another thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2019 at 10:54, Karhedron said:

Interesting shot here of 313007 showing both the large roof vents and a rather unusual version of early NSE livery. Much less black around the cab windows than the final version. I prefer the latter livery but I thought this one was interesting enough to share.

3628501623_44b5155087_c.jpg

Just catching up on this thread and glad to see this picture of a fairly unusual NSE livery variation which I failed to capture on film myself at the time. Camden Road is the location in case anyone is wondering, before the disused No.1 line platforms disappeared behind hoardings and under weeds.

On 24/02/2021 at 12:31, irishmail said:

I would be interested in a 00 version if one was produced having spent nearly five years working on them at Watford!!!  BR blue/grey and NSE livery   313001- 017 plus I think 021 & 034 for a short while.   They covered the Watford - Euston DC services, Richmond - North Woolwich,  am & pm peak Watford - Liverpool Street.  Based at Bletchley for maintenance and occasional visits to Hornsey for tyre turning. If I remember correctly we also had a Mon- Fri evening parcel service using a 313 from Euston - Milton Keynes (move used to get unit to Bletchley for exams).

Prior to DOO operation coming in on the DC lines there was the occasional use of 6 car units in operation.

Pics below of them on the DC lines. I never saw 6 car operation, as I understand it the original plan for 6 car peak workings was ruled out because multiple 6 car 313 operation exceeded the current capacity of the DC line electrification.

PXL_20230430_100959762.jpg

PXL_20230430_100924718.jpg

PXL_20230430_101523276.jpg

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

NSE went through a brief phase around 1987 of omitting the black window surrounds from lots of repainted units, including Class 313, 315 and 317s. They looked terrible and the black was soon back again. It was all over before the revised darker blue / curved upsweep livery started in 1988.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Captain Electra said:

You would need to tool up a new Trailer Second, as well as new underframes for the Driving cars, as these were DC only. The good news is that you could then also use the TS with the 314 to make a 315. You could also model the 508 in original 4-car configuration for the South-Western lines, as well as Merseyside, pre-refurbishment.

Depending on costs, could you just get a new end slide done for the post-refurbishment 507/508s - there are some wonderful liveries you could do.

At the end of the day, it is making the numbers work. I am sure there are a lot of NW modellers who would be interested but whether that would be enough to make the project viable is another thing.

315s would be nice 😉

• RMweb Premium

I produce the 00 gauge 3d printed bodies for all these variants as one piece liquid uv cured resin   I do the class 507/508/313/314/315 and also the Merseyrail style refurbished headlight style as used from 2004- present day but I’d actually like a company to do all these as RTR models in 00 gauge, sadly there are too many duplicates of diesel locomotives, I’d welcome any type of EMU that’s not been produced yet RTR.

243E0E54-79F0-46AD-8225-4E1EED82A220.jpeg

A8DD6E9D-38BE-4A30-A24F-1BAA204778CE.jpeg

15DD0476-81B1-41F7-B8EC-3E5E680E9B2C.jpeg

BF7196EF-A47A-414E-9BC7-9F73A3BBC375.jpeg

• Like 2

On 02/05/2023 at 14:14, Captain Electra said:

NSE went through a brief phase around 1987 of omitting the black window surrounds from lots of repainted units, including Class 313, 315 and 317s. They looked terrible and the black was soon back again. It was all over before the revised darker blue / curved upsweep livery started in 1988.

I've always thought that these units in their original livery was a really good piece of industrial design, with the black windows and warning panels extended onto the ends. Somebody had put a lot of effort into that. 

2 hours ago, piranha240 said:

I produce the 00 gauge 3d printed bodies for all these variants as one piece liquid uv cured resin   I do the class 507/508/313/314/315 and also the Merseyrail style refurbished headlight style as used from 2004- present day but I’d actually like a company to do all these as RTR models in 00 gauge,

I'm about halfway though building one of your 508s, so the announcement will presumably come when that's finished in a few months time.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm about halfway though building one of your 508s, so the announcement will presumably come when that's finished in a few months time.....

First rule of kitbuilding, I'm afraid. I'm about to start an O Gauge Class 22...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a YouTube video of the NGS Show which is greatly appreciated by those who could not attend that weekend. It includes some views of various Revolution samples.
Behind an unpainted sample of the ‘Caroline’ Inspection Saloon, there is another sample of a carriage in an all over teal colour with white lettering. Does this hopefully mean that in addition to the Network Rail 313121 set, the Arlington Fleet Group twin translator cars are also going to be available? Looking forward to Revolution’s next update!

• RMweb Premium

313201 (a.k.a. the infamous blue one) was also on display in the photos I have seen, that has not been announced either, just original 1970's condition blue/grey so I wonder if a retailer exclusive is in the offing?

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, porkie said:

Just unsure which livery would suit the WCMl in the late 80s and 90s era's 

You want the NSE version - if you look very closely, the NSE livery shown in the photo of the post above and the news article by @TomE is a ‘North London Lines’ unit which also ran on the southern WCML Watford DC line. In fact, the cab destination blind says Euston, so there’s no disputing that’s the one you want 😉 !

Aside from the small body side wording, there is also the NSE route branding motif, which for the North London Lines is a harlequin pattern…. I never could figure out the significance of the harlequin pattern and it’s relevancy to the North London Lines - curious to hear from anyone that knows….!

Anyway, get yourself 313011 ordered - I have to say, the NSE livery sits really nicely on these units.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, JR_P said:

I never could figure out the significance of the harlequin pattern and it’s relevancy to the North London Lines - curious to hear from anyone that knows….!

I believe the name was the result of a competition to decide one, and it was derived from stations served along the route, 

''Har''-lequin for ''Har''-row
Har-''le''-quin for Wil-''le''-sden
Harle-''quin'' for ''Queen''s Park

Once named the logo was designed using the Harlequin pattern

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Electra said:

If there is a second run with Great Northern branding, I could be very tempted. 

Hi Adam

If you mean NSE with GN branding we are - it's 313048 with SKU RT-313-312.   It is marked as ECML on the page but features the 'Kings Cross roof' motif.

Not the greatest pic - just quickly snapped on my desk with a 'phone - but you get the gist...

313GN.jpg.002abe1fa1deb7451e14d1f9143199b0.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Adam

If you mean NSE with GN branding we are - it's 313048 with SKU RT-313-312.   It is marked as ECML on the page but features the 'Kings Cross roof' motif.

Not the greatest pic - just quickly snapped on my desk with a 'phone - but you get the gist...

313GN.jpg.002abe1fa1deb7451e14d1f9143199b0.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

Now, that is very naughty...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TomE said:

I believe the name was the result of a competition to decide one, and it was derived from stations served along the route, 

''Har''-lequin for ''Har''-row
Har-''le''-quin for Wil-''le''-sden
Harle-''quin'' for ''Queen''s Park

Nothing to do with passing The Harlequin Shopping Centre next to Watford High Street Station then....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Nothing to do with passing The Harlequin Shopping Centre next to Watford High Street Station then....

Think the Line was named before the shopping centre opened. Seems to be around 1988 for the line name and 1992 for the shopping centre. Could be the centre was actually named after the line! 

Tom. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Might I ask @Revolution Ben of any cosmetic differences between 313063 and 313064 as offered in BR Blue/Grey?  

I model 1986-1988 so that GN sector NSE 313 you’ve watered many mouths with in the forum is already on the wish list, but would be looking at a one of the B/G units for a pairing to attach some NSE branding to!

TIA, very excited for these!