Date of LAST cattle train in UK

Homologator

16 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

1975/6; I've seen photos of cattle wagons being used on the N Wales coast in 1975 and on the Kyle of Lochalsh line in 1976.

Fits in with the dates on these photos on Paul Bartlett's website. They look like they are recently withdrawn.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcattle

Jason

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Homologator said:

Thanks for the prompt response!

Any information gratefully appreciated.

I remember being at Chester in what I think was summer 1975 when a train of cattle arrived off the (North Wales) coast hauled by a pair of 25s (iirc), I still remember the doleful mooing as the train snaked around the back of the station.

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

............. I still remember the doleful mooing as the train snaked around the back of the station.

I suspect that you to would be in a bad mood if you thought you were on a one way excursion to Smithfield.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

IIRC all livestock transport, i.e. horses, pigs, and sheep, ceased around this time and shifted to road transport at this time.  Chicks going cheep were still transported in boxes by Red Star parcels, as were greyhounds, lovely things that responded very affectionately to their ears being tickled.  Mind you, i've been known to respond affectionately to an ear tickling myself...

As a vaguely related question, when did pigeon specials cease?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fenman said:

Fascinating. The greyhounds were in boxes, in crates, or on a lead? I've always wondered if there was a railway traffic in greyhounds.

Paul

I remember loading pigeons in boxes onto DMUs at Middlesbrough,  never came across a dog , are we sure this was right a dog in a box! If you order one now the come frozen in a plastic bag!

The railway parcels service was excellent,  if you didn't want door to door it was possible over certain routes to get same day station to station service 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Greyhounds were tied by their leads and carried in the brake van with the guard.  Collected by owner in arrival.  

Never heard of that before,  was it just greyhounds or any dog?

• RMweb Premium

Highland railways had dog kennels built into many of their guard Vans. Mostly used for huntin shootin and fishin dogs or sheepdogs. 

• RMweb Gold

Any dog AFAIK, but greyhounds, bought and sold for racing then sent by rail for delivery, were the usual thing.  Given the ferocity with which they chased that electric bunny round the stadium, their gentle and friendly nature always seemed a bit surprising, but they were always docile and uncomplaining.  

I once had an occupied coffin in my van.  He was docile and uncomplaining as well...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, russ p said:

I remember loading pigeons in boxes onto DMUs at Middlesbrough,  never came across a dog , are we sure this was right a dog in a box! If you order one now the come frozen in a plastic bag!

The railway parcels service was excellent,  if you didn't want door to door it was possible over certain routes to get same day station to station service 

The station-to-station service (Red Star) was excellent; I used it a lot for sending time-sensitive material from Bristol to Aberdeen and Blackburn. The only problem, in the early days, was you could only send things that had a direct service; thus you could send Bristol to Newcastle without a problem, but if the ultimate destination was Sunderland, the Makems would have to send someone to collect it.

The last time I used it was when friends sent their old cat to us from Northallerton to Ashford; the vet knocked him out for the journey, and he came-to at about the time I collected him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Once saw the pigeons being released at Normanton. Probably 1964 ish. An amazing sight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

This would have been in the mid-late 1990s; he travelled in a transport cage, with his favourite cushion under him.

Really,  didn't realise they operated that late