Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium

I could never understand why no one invented the Fell-tic. A 4-8-4 napier powered beast :sungum: A Deltic shell on the Fell chassis. It would have been a sure fire winner.

Surely a true Fell-tic would have 4 x Deltic engines driving through the Fell system of clutches and differentials? I agree it's difficult to understand why none was ever built.

• Like 1

i could have but i just re-drew the body from a plan off the internet

post-9948-0-44507100-1455129416_thumb.jpg

something that i notice that bugs me with quite a few drawings on this thread, when you lengthen a boiler to make a loco bigger you also need to make the firebox longer by the same to keep the size ratio between them

post-9948-0-64547900-1455129354_thumb.jpg

original

post-9948-0-45574000-1455128984_thumb.jpg

4-8-0 mod

post-9948-0-03937900-1455129093_thumb.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

Has anybody thought about a non condensing turbine powered hush hush? I was reading a book about this, and one of the problems it had was the draught of the boiler was upset by the pulsing of the 3 cylinders. The marine boiler was designed with the constant power demands of a turbine.

• 1 month later...

Lets remove some diesel double heading by having some articulated triples! This is inspired by some spare bodies i have that are missing chassis, the 'simple' thinking being 'lop the cabs off and hang the extra body between 2x single ended similar machines'.

First up for the southern region, a class 33 triple. This would probably take up less space than 2 large co-co diesels which isn't too bad a thought. However, lots of body side grills etc needed moving to not foul the cut lines, and the windows don't look balanced:

post-9147-0-28766400-1458307848_thumb.jpg

Moving on, a class 37 based triple with AC overhead equipment. Probably far to big to be practical, but was much easier from a cutting and shutting POV, each end is an EE type 3 (double head 37s not uncommon), but the centre '37' body has AC equipment (robbed from an 86, slightly over scale, and the BW pan is far too new compared to the colour scheme!) to make it bi-mode. With the extra air vents on the body sides i quite like the look of this one, would be interesting to see it photo-shopped into a more recent colour scheme. Can't think what uses it would originally be created for, but it'd save engine swaps from 86s to 37s at Ipswich for the Felixstow branch in the 1980s.

post-9147-0-27111600-1458308073_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Lets remove some diesel double heading by having some articulated triples! This is inspired by some spare bodies i have that are missing chassis, the 'simple' thinking being 'lop the cabs off and hang the extra body between 2x single ended similar machines'.

First up for the southern region, a class 33 triple. This would probably take up less space than 2 large co-co diesels which isn't too bad a thought. However, lots of body side grills etc needed moving to not foul the cut lines, and the windows don't look balanced:

attachicon.gifClass 33 triple.JPG

Moving on, a class 37 based triple with AC overhead equipment. Probably far to big to be practical, but was much easier from a cutting and shutting POV, each end is an EE type 3 (double head 37s not uncommon), but the centre '37' body has AC equipment (robbed from an 86, slightly over scale, and the BW pan is far too new compared to the colour scheme!) to make it bi-mode. With the extra air vents on the body sides i quite like the look of this one, would be interesting to see it photo-shopped into a more recent colour scheme. Can't think what uses it would originally be created for, but it'd save engine swaps from 86s to 37s at Ipswich for the Felixstow branch in the 1980s.

attachicon.gifClass 37 triple.JPG

I was thinking of something similar based on the Metropolitan/LT Bo-Bo electrics.

• Like 1

When I clear my work bench of my latest project this could be next on the list. Its the proposed but never built Caledonian steam rail motor of which only one side view drawing is known to exist so although the side is accurate the ends are a best guess using what little information that is known like the exposed smokebox door but I've closely followed Caledonian practice and the rail motor almost mirrors the ends of an 1890s "Lambie" built coupe coach.

post-17847-0-32231300-1458377716.jpg

post-17847-0-40853000-1458377728.jpg

The original was designed to go on a modified Caley pug chassis with a longer wheel base so for once the Hornby Caley pug has the correct length wheel base and one has been sourced for use in this project as well as a white metal fox bogie for the non powered end. At the moment this is just an inkscape drawings but the details have already been worked out and its ready to go to print on the silhouette cameo cutter so keep your eye on my Caley loco build thread in the near future.

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 13

Can I ask with regard to the class 33 & 37 triples, how the 3 sections of each loco are joined together and assuming that the 37 triple is Bachmann drive, how the sections would be arranged so that the loco could potentially have 4 x 3 axle driven bogies and thus 2 motors to provide ample power for traction

Good question, I just drew them based on spares I happen to have. Most of my spare parts are Lima and old Hornby rather than having a couple of spare Bachmann 37s to sacrifice.

Off the top of my head I can't picture the guts of a Bachmann chassis. But using a Hornby Railroad 37 chassis as a visual aid, I'd chop both outer chassis so that the bogie mount point is still attached but half the bogie is 'hanging out', then link the 2 chassis together with a length of something solid to support the centre body on using the bogie mount tops as the articulation pivot points.

post-9147-0-02318300-1458404494_thumb.jpg

so using that, as long as there's a suitable pivot point above the centre of the Bachmann bogie then the same principle should transpose. If the bogie is supported at the ends rather than the centre and there's no logical way to make it centre supported, then in theory if you chop the chassis half way along the bogie and mount the off cut in the centre vehicle with a very solid articulation mount for the body above the bogie (linking the 2 bodies on a pivot) then the bogie should be supported by each unit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

funny that because i did the drawing based on that  model while he was building it, i was following the build on NGRM at the time

I didn't know there was an article on building it on NGRM. It would be before I joined. I'll have to have a look for it, unless you've got a link.

"The community administrator requires all members to sign in". I'm not a member, so I can't get beyond the initial sign-in screen.

You're not me, and Sir Douglas was telling me where I could read about the loco I now own being built ;).

Anyway, if you're into narrow gauge, it's well worth joining. Everyone is very friendly.

• Like 1