Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The 8x4 solid baseboard format, basically the equivalent of our 6x4, is alive and well in the States as well. and is used for Lionel and American Flyer 0 gauge layouts; this is more in the sense of retro train sets than 'proper' modelling (whatever you take that to mean), but nonetheless a valid format. 

Oh no, the 8x4 is for serious modelling too. Model Railroader's David Popp is very much an advocate of the 8x4 as a start point for serious modelling and the "Virginian" layout Popp and his MR colleagues built just a few years ago has a lot of very high quality modelling on it.

image.png.48cc34bb397bf015c6186076f767936e.png

image.png.b679a72e21dfb8e7540df17b7d0f52f1.png

As the trackplan here shows, the 8x4 design allowed for extensions to be built on, thus the philosophy of start "small" and expand.

Curves are still insane though, down to what we would call R1, but the fully worked out design was created to enable proper operation as American model railroaders understand it.

Now I haven't seen a Model Railroader for about six years, so it is possible that a new editor has changed that philosophy, but eight years back a high proportion of MR layout designs were based around an 8x4 solid board.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The 8x4 layout (I'd have said 4x8 myself) is based on a 'standard' sheet of plywood from your local hardware store or lumber yard.   Buy a sheet, maybe run some stripwood along the edges to stiffen it up, and drop your oval down.   You can easily fit 18" safely, and 22" can just be barely accommodated.

In speaking of imaginary locos, what might an American-market English Electric 'road' loco have looked like?   Tall cab behind a 37-style nose, with slightly wide hood?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

The 8x4 layout (I'd have said 4x8 myself) is based on a 'standard' sheet of plywood from your local hardware store or lumber yard.   Buy a sheet, maybe run some stripwood along the edges to stiffen it up, and drop your oval down.   You can easily fit 18" safely, and 22" can just be barely accommodated.

In speaking of imaginary locos, what might an American-market English Electric 'road' loco have looked like?   Tall cab behind a 37-style nose, with slightly wide hood?

Class 20 with a taller cab. This is a Portugese 1800 class based on the class 50.

image.png.249e28cbd1909fde4b1cbbc6e14b5a0b.png

And the 1400 class based on the class 20.

image.png.174ff99b75b1db55a6bb495197451043.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tythatguy1312 said:

oh I have a pretty good idea, DP-1 almost looks like a narrower New Haven EP-5

DP1.jpg

I agree, If I didn't know better, I would have said this looks like an American locomotive. It would be nice to see what this would look like if the DP-1 had knuckle couplers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Alex Neth said:

I agree, If I didn't know better, I would have said this looks like an American locomotive. It would be nice to see what this would look like if the DP-1 had knuckle couplers.

Some of the coaches it hauled were equipped with knuckle couplers, the Gresley stock.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Some of the coaches it hauled were equipped with knuckle couplers, the Gresley stock.

Not to mention Pullmans and BR mk1s.  TTBOMK there were no locomotives fitted with knuckle couplers in 1955, though of course A3s and A4s had buckeye equipped tenders, and indeed corridor tenders in some cases. with Pullman gangway/buffing plates.  Bullied stock had knuckle buckeye couplers as well. 

Clearly, American styling had a major influence on early and 1955 play diesel appearance, with the Ivatt twins looking rather American and DP1 looking very American.  OTOH the Manchester-Sheffield electrics, GW gas turbines, and the Southern Region's Bullied/Raworth electrics showed what the style might have been had there been no American influence.  My personal favourites were the Southern's 10201/2/3. the progenitors of the Class 40s though the appearance was very different.

Different companies, and BR themselves, developed house styles, with EE featuring relatively squared off noses, Brush (along with BRCW) the '47 look', and the sad-eyed Swindon designed Warships and Westerns.  Production Deltics (and DP2) were toned down a bit from the overtly American look of DP1.  There was a family look to BRCW's type 2s and 3s and the Derby type 2s as well, and North British, the source of the Swindon sad-eyes, were very identifiable. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Alex Neth said:

Deltic would look really good in stainless steel, like the Burlington route's silver E5's:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_E5

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

Diesel twins appeared in Thailand too. These Davenport Bo-Bo twins were photographed at Chiang Mai  heading a Bangkok "express".

image.png.fa9baa1bdd3af18185539ea1f52db8af.png

Amazingly some are still around albeit used singly as station pilots and shunters far out in the sticks. They're considered useful enough to have had a repaint in the new livery though

image.png.4ded7e1d19c31c90ddd5300a0ba15355.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Diesel twins appeared in Thailand too. These Davenport Bo-Bo twins were photographed at Chiang Mai  heading a Bangkok "express".

image.png.fa9baa1bdd3af18185539ea1f52db8af.png

Amazingly some are still around albeit used singly as station pilots and shunters far out in the sticks. They're considered useful enough to have had a repaint in the new livery though

image.png.4ded7e1d19c31c90ddd5300a0ba15355.png

Definitely a whiff of Crompton about them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4