70s Industrial steam

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Love these photos of Y&D at Heap Bridge , I lived just up the road , but missed this action .

This has been one of my favourite Industrial locations for a long time ever since I came across it in an early edition of Bylines. I have two Pecketts, a Barclay, several wagons and a building sat waiting for me to build them a layout based loosely on this location, probably in the style of a 'Gum Stump & Snowshoe' type shunting plan.

Hopefully I will make a site visit on the way over to the Wigan show next month, not expecting to see anything much remaining of the railway but would like to look at the river and just get a feel for the place.

There's a couple of photos in @montyburns56's post that I haven't seen before, there is also an article in one of the Industrial Railway Record mag from the IRS that is worth a read.

'The Day Stan Left' is worth a watch on You Tube.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Love these photos of Y&D at Heap Bridge , I lived just up the road , but missed this action .

I live in Manchester, but I only visited the site a few years ago, but I wish that I'd visited when there were more visible remains of what it used to be.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Tesco Walkden!

David

Indeed, though it's been a few years since I have gone there.

We did look at buying one of the new build houses that were on the site of the loco shed, but the big vent shaft from an old mine did somewhat reminded us what was below that land so we decided not to press ahead.  Looks like they've landscaped and planted trees where it was so it's no longer obvious from googlemaps where the vent was.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/09/2022 at 19:29, montyburns56 said:

Stourport Power Station in May 1973 by Paul Bryson

IndSt059

This has blown my Tiny Little Mind! So there was working steam literally down the road from Bewdley in 1973 before the SVR reopened there in 1974? I never knew that. 😵‍💫 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Purnu said:

Not sure if we’ve had this one. Flickr linked.

P1676. Ty-Mawr colliery Pontypridd.

Someone's first attempt at modifying a toy train. It's so hard to get a consistent finish with the little tins of Humbrol. They clearly didn't mix the paint properly when they did the cylinders to get a gloss finish with the satin/matt paints.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...