70s Industrial steam

Excellent photo. I haven't seen this before. For the benefit of the Rapido buyers: PH is Park Hill and SJ St John's. The two collieries were on opposite sides of the river Calder but had their own internal rail system as all the coal was washed at St Johns. Can anyone tell me the location of CW? Or were these random wagons brought in from elsewhere? I would have liked to have named my first Hudswell Clarke Cathryn but decided it wasn't politic to name a loco after your best mates attractive young wife.and.settled for Whitwood#4.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

As @Jeremy Cumberland says, the wagon on the extreme left is somewhat worse for wear, and the wagon next to it is also a bit battered and bruised. I just wonder if perhaps this is the scrap line and that CW stands for Condemned Wagon? Just a thought. 

• Agree 1

Not sure about the operation at St John's, but at other local collieries such as Fryston wagons were emptied on a side tipler which could take any of the swb wagons. The ex NE wagons with a sloping floor had less capacity and could not be used on the run down to the river basin.

Ah l see, CW coal washery! Possibly but less likely. Having said that, the CW is quite neatly applied....

They also carry an “S” ( for scrap?).........

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

'Interesting' looking loco

What happened to the cab & chimney?

Restricted height at it's former workplace Black Park Colliery. The chimney was a later addition gained when it moved elsewhere.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/peckett-sons-works-no-1935-hornet-0-4-0st/

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, doilum said:

I guess the screens had been originally built for pony power.

The height of the screens tended to be as low as possible to avoid unnecessary breakage of coal as the size of the coal affects the sale price plus avoid refunds/compensation to cus.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The height of the screens tended to be as low as possible to avoid unnecessary breakage of coal as the size of the coal affects the sale price plus avoid refunds/compensation to cus.

I may have told the story before. My grandfather started work for Briggs Whitwood colliery aged 14 in 1913. He was initially assigned to the man responsible for ticketing the wagons. He recalled a whole train being returned by a London merchant because, having emptied the first wagon, they swept it out and found a small sackful of dust and slack. The market then was for large  lump coal and small coal was often left underground.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Marshall5 said:

Another favourite 'hangout' was NCB Bickershaw where steam working lasted throughout the '70's.  The austerities there could always be relied on for a good display as the loaded trains faced a steep climb from the colliery to the B.R. exchange sidings near Abram.  In April 1977 RSH7135/44 Gwyneth (ex NCB Gresford) was taking a short rake of 16 tonners unassisted.  Heavier trains could be double-headed or banked.

Ray.

01-77-40a Gwyneth RSH7135 of 1944 Bickershaw Coll.4.77.jpg

01-77-41a Gwyneth RSH7135 of 1944  Bickershaw Coll.4.77.jpg

Superb photos, thankyou for sharing them with us, I'd never heard of the Austerity 'Monty' before.

Quick question regarding the latest Bickershaw photos ... would sand being used on the left hand line be the reason for the difference in track colours ?

Regards,

Ian.

51 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Superb photos, thankyou for sharing them with us, I'd never heard of the Austerity 'Monty' before.

Quick question regarding the latest Bickershaw photos ... would sand being used on the left hand line be the reason for the difference in track colours ?

Regards,

Ian.

Yes, that line was very heavily sanded!  Monty, new from Hunslet in 1950, inherited its name from ex GWR pannier 1956 which was scrapped at Sutton Manor in the same year.  Austerity 'Monty' came to Cronton in 1959 joining 2 other 1950 built Austerities one of which later went to Bold where it was named Whiston - a name which it still carries at Foxfield. Monty was oou by the end of 1970 and scrapped in 1973.  Cronton Colliery wasn't as well known to enthusiasts as other collieries in the area perhaps because steam working finished a bit earlier, in 1972.

Glad you like the photos.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Fryston 1982 with some interesting signage..

Fryston

I didn't think any of the NCB Yorkshire areas had any working steam locomotives that late. In my Industrial Locomotives 1976, HE 3168/1944 is shown OOU at Allerton Bywater Colliery.

"Zone of high vehicular activity" indeed.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I didn't think any of the NCB Yorkshire areas had any working steam locomotives that late. In my Industrial Locomotives 1976, HE 3168/1944 is shown OOU at Allerton Bywater Colliery.

"Zone of high vehicular activity" indeed.

quite an interesting piece on Fryston in 1982 here

https://coalmine.proboards.com/thread/1026/last-steam-loco-yorkshire-pit

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2