Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

More often than not, when a manufacturer issues info it appears on here pretty quickly, so I tend to completely ignore box shifters dates which are often lagging behind.

That said tower issue updates of the production order when they have spoken directly to Dapol and Heljan so are usually quite reliable and if nothing else, you can gauge likely timings from the progress of those directly ahead in the queue.

Edited by Hal Nail
typo

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Oh don't worry, that'll happen as well. 👍🤣🤦‍♂️

Not if I have anything to do with it .😁 The original EP tooling had a some room for improvement, so we decided to make sure it is correct before releasing the model. We have spent a long time pouring over photographs and plans to make sure everything is in it's correct place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Not as disappointing as releasing it and then finding the errors though 😉

I am not a rivet-counter; I was quite pleased with the one production sample that was pictured somewhere above. After all, over 700(?) were built, there will be minor differences among them over the production run.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am not a rivet-counter; I was quite pleased with the one production sample that was pictured somewhere above. After all, over 700(?) were built, there will be minor differences among them over the production run.

No and to be honest I wouldn’t notice either if it looks right by eye despite having them past the door several times a day but look at any thread and you’ll find a host who delight in looking for errors so wisely Dapol are addressing it. 
I’d rather they get it as right as possible in a sensible price bracket so I applaud their decision to wait, plenty of wagons to buy and layouts to prepare if you’re wanting some 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

29 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

look at any thread and you’ll find a host who delight in looking for errors 

In fairness you will also find plenty of people who say because they cant see those differences, they don't exist :)

The issue really is that whether we like a model is quite personal but people on here seem expect everyone to agree with what they are seeing and then it gets tribal. My favourite is if someone says something just doesn't look quite right, you'll get a reply challenging them to nail the exact issue as if the opinion isn't relevant otherwise.

How something looks partly depends how familiar and observant each person is and sometimes just whether they like it regardless but also some people look at detail and some look at proportions. Certainly with smaller scale models, those two things aren't always entirely compatible. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

In fairness you will also find plenty of people who say because they cant see those differences, they don't exist :)

The issue really is that whether we like a model is quite personal but people on here seem expect everyone to agree with what they are seeing and then it gets tribal. My favourite is if someone says something just doesn't look quite right, you'll get a reply challenging them to nail the exact issue as if the opinion isn't relevant otherwise.

How something looks partly depends how familiar and observant each person is and sometimes just whether they like it regardless but also some people look at detail and some look at proportions. Certainly with smaller scale models, those two things aren't always entirely compatible. 

and you’ve got to remember that viewing a model is an entirely different perspective from viewing the real thing. if you remember to take into account your eyes are about 10ft apart on an o gauge model, and not looking from almost the same place by comparison looking at a full size loco, so this can distort angles and curves to make things not look quite right when looking at a model, and is why some people can’t put their finger on why it doesn’t look quite right

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting question. I thought that the track gauge was the same as here, 1¼", just the scales are different, 1/48 here (US), 1/43 UK, Continental Europe somewhat different 1/43.5? Not to mention Corgi, in their brilliance, decided to release their US PCC trolley and GM buses in 1/50!?!?!?

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.

• RMweb Premium

I assume these are just the British O models with a different livery and (hopefully) any necessary detail changes. European O gauge is  1:45, making the 32mm gauge more or less spot on.  The MU website says the Class 66 models are 1:43.5.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

These are the UK models with correct front end details, including air pipes both sides of the couplings. We will be working to ensure as many of the Euro-Spec 66 detail differences can be captured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We are at the stage of just about approving the new CADs for the original version, with the Low-emission and Euro-spec not too far behind. It has been a journey getting this loco right but we really want to make this something special.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

We are at the stage of just about approving the new CADs for the original version, with the Low-emission and Euro-spec not too far behind. It has been a journey getting this loco right but we really want to make this something special.

Thanks Adam. Can’t wait for Evening Star. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Again nothing heard or seen regards the 66 on the weekend, we’re at three years already since the announcement….

It took Atlas about eight years to actually produce their O scale EMD GP7 and 9.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Again nothing heard or seen regards the 66 on the weekend, we’re at three years already since the announcement….

Adam gave the latest official update two posts above yours!

On 27/08/2023 at 15:40, Adam1701D said:

Until there are new EP toolings to show from that you’re not likely to see anything. 
It’s gone back for retooling and that’s the latest info. 

49 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Adam gave the latest official update two posts above yours!

Until there are new EP toolings to show from that you’re not likely to see anything. 
It’s gone back for retooling and that’s the latest info. 

I didn’t know he/she/they worked for Dapol so as far as I was aware the post was opinion, as opposed to an official statement.

when you ask officially anything about the 66 the reaction is one of earth swallow me up.   

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am always happy to share what information I can about projects that I am involved with, especially the 66. We are at the stage of awaiting completed CADs from the factory and do not currently have much to show until these are completed and tooling can begin. We certainly have not been sitting on our hands and have used the downtime to make many improvements to the original EP and introduce more functionality, all of which will be revealed at the appointed time. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Adam can only release what they allow him to but he is working for Dapol. 

Again, I knew not that he/she/they were employed or a contractor for Dapol. I was referring to speaking to actual Dapol people at the stands at shows.

His/her/their location is Peterborough, Dapol being based in Chirk again doesn’t lend itself to a connection unless you’re in the know - im not. 

Edited by Goodnight Sweetheart