Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

5 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

We are at the stage of awaiting completed CADs from the factory and do not currently have much to show until these are completed and tooling can begin. We certainly have not been sitting on our hands and have used the downtime to make many improvements to the original EP and introduce more functionality, all of which will be revealed at the appointed time. 

That would explain it's absence from the Dapol stand at Stafford Guildex then. 👍

Adam, any time you want to announce an O scale D63xx/Class 22, which Dapol have done rather well in 2mm & 4mm scales, feel free... 😁

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Again, I knew not that he/she/they were employed or a contractor for Dapol. I was referring to speaking to actual Dapol people at the stands at shows.

His/her/their location is Peterborough, Dapol being based in Chirk again doesn’t lend itself to a connection unless you’re in the know - im not. 

I fail to see how you couldn't make the connection from Adams post that he works for Dapol.  Even checking back a few of his posts will confirm that.

On 27/08/2023 at 15:40, Adam1701D said:

We are at the stage of just about approving the new CADs for the original version, with the Low-emission and Euro-spec not too far behind. It has been a journey getting this loco right but we really want to make this something special.

Location matters not a jot these days, I am in the UK, my employer is based in Australia.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NBL said:

Location matters not a jot these days, I am in the UK, my employer is based in Australia.

Similarly as i trudged through a path in leafy Hampshire this morning, it occured to me I was supposed to be sat on my sofa working.

Modern times init.

At the end of the day it was a misunderstanding and hardly worth raking over forever - let go back to twiddling our thumbs in silence :)

Edited by Hal Nail

On 04/09/2023 at 19:07, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Again, I knew not that he/she/they were employed or a contractor for Dapol. I was referring to speaking to actual Dapol people at the stands at shows.

His/her/their location is Peterborough, Dapol being based in Chirk again doesn’t lend itself to a connection unless you’re in the know - im not. 

Have you ever heard of remote working? It is quite a thing these days, in the case of many roles you don't necessarily need to physically work at the business location.

Edited by Roy L S

On 05/09/2023 at 09:37, NBL said:

I fail to see how you couldn't make the connection from Adams post that he works for Dapol.  Even checking back a few of his posts will confirm that.

Im not in the habit of searching back throw peoples post to check their credibility or otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

I do indeed work from home in Peterborough most of the time but we do try to get everyone to Chirk about once a month. It is a good four hour trip by train but well worth it, as you can't beat face to face meetings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That has actually happened to a friend several times. He would paint one for an RR that he wanted (think RF&P for example) and a month or two after he completed it, MTH would announce a new RF&P release of the same EMD model!

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2023 at 20:59, Hal Nail said:

Given on 27 Aug they hadn't even signed off the CADs, any date they gave would be completely pointless.

I agree Hal.

I've just joined this thread, and note that it started in October 2019 !!!

Haven't had to wait long have we ????  LOL

I've just got a Dapol Class08 (O gauge) and I am very pleased with it ; If this redesign results in a 66 with similar level of detail, IMHO it'll be well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Just received a copy of a posting by Dapol, that the 66 is now not going to be ready until late

2024, citing redesigned CAD drawings, re-tooling etc. as the reason.

Regards

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pylonman said:

not going to be ready until late 2024, citing redesigned CAD drawings, re-tooling etc. as the reason.

This seems very optimistic. Accurascale are quoting 2025 for their 57xx which is already at first sample stage.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

This seems very optimistic. Accurascale are quoting 2025 for their 57xx which is already at first sample stage.

It may be but the chassis, electronics etc is mostly done so it’s just detail of the body and plug in bits. I guess that speeds things up if the power train and electronics are effectively ready. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I get the impression Accurascale (and Heljan) are now being a little more conservative (ie realistic) with delivery dates due to over-optimism on almost every new model to date. These things take time to get right, and distance doesn't help.

Dapol doesn't seem to have caught on to this yet: N gauge 87s are slated for Q1 2024, but no decorated samples yet – so that's unlikely. I'd be very surprised to see the '66' next year.

Edited by Solo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The model is back in tooling and we hope to have EPs in the New Year (which side of CNY, I am not sure yet).

I understand the frustration of the extra delay; we decided to do the retool at considerable expense, rather than release a model with numerous errors on the bodywork. Please keep the faith, as it is going to be a stunner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1