RMweb

'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice regarding a minor problem I have with one of my Genesis LMS six wheel coaches?

The brake 3rd has had an annoying "click" from the get go, notable for only occurring when the coach is running with the brake compartment leading.  After ignoring it for a while, I finally managed to track it down to the underframe brake detail.  There are two longitudinal rods leading from a transverse rod attached to a 'crank' driven from the 'vacuum cylinder'.  One rod is quite short, only going as far as the wheelset under the end of the coach below the passenger compartments.  The other is much longer, and terminates between the wheels at the end of the coach under the brake compartment.  It is this latter rod which is making the click: the rod does not run straight, but instead deviates slightly to one side, as can be seen in this photo:

DSC_3755.JPG.eece61cb9257d43bea1bffc6a2e13345.JPG

This puts the end of the rod right at the end of the axle, where there is a high spot on the axle (you can see something similar on the middle axle) which flicks the end of the rod as the axle rotates.  When running passenger end first it makes no discernible noise, but when running in the other direction it catches against the end of the rod, creating an audible click.

Now, I could just try smoothing down the high spot on the axle, or simply trimming the end of the rod fractionally shorter, but the fundamental issue seems to be that the rod doesn't run where it should.  This photo shows the underside of my all brake, with the rod running straight and true, as it does on all my other Genesis coaches:

DSC_3756_1.JPG.2fe27236ca622201ae565db547b41ae4.JPG

I need if possible to persuade the errant rod to run straight, but being flexible plastic it doesn't want to take a bend  Any suggestions as to how I might safely persuade it to lie where it should?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Personally, I'd just snip a mm or so off the rod end and let it be.

If you want it centered, I'd use a small block against the inside of the wheel to push the rod to the correct position.  Might even use two blocks, with one on the center wheel.  Then use a soldering iron to gently heat the rod at the point where it attaches off to the left, which is out of the photo.

Edited by TheEngineShed
spulling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2023 at 17:12, ejstubbs said:

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice regarding a minor problem I have with one of my Genesis LMS six wheel coaches?

The brake 3rd has had an annoying "click" from the get go, notable for only occurring when the coach is running with the brake compartment leading.  After ignoring it for a while, I finally managed to track it down to the underframe brake detail.  There are two longitudinal rods leading from a transverse rod attached to a 'crank' driven from the 'vacuum cylinder'.  One rod is quite short, only going as far as the wheelset under the end of the coach below the passenger compartments.  The other is much longer, and terminates between the wheels at the end of the coach under the brake compartment.  It is this latter rod which is making the click: the rod does not run straight, but instead deviates slightly to one side, as can be seen in this photo:

DSC_3755.JPG.eece61cb9257d43bea1bffc6a2e13345.JPG

This puts the end of the rod right at the end of the axle, where there is a high spot on the axle (you can see something similar on the middle axle) which flicks the end of the rod as the axle rotates.  When running passenger end first it makes no discernible noise, but when running in the other direction it catches against the end of the rod, creating an audible click.

Now, I could just try smoothing down the high spot on the axle, or simply trimming the end of the rod fractionally shorter, but the fundamental issue seems to be that the rod doesn't run where it should.  This photo shows the underside of my all brake, with the rod running straight and true, as it does on all my other Genesis coaches:

DSC_3756_1.JPG.2fe27236ca622201ae565db547b41ae4.JPG

I need if possible to persuade the errant rod to run straight, but being flexible plastic it doesn't want to take a bend  Any suggestions as to how I might safely persuade it to lie where it should?

You are lucky. I had a couple of mine bending down into the track causing derailment. It did easily bend out of the way. Agree with the above for your case whereby I'd just snip a mm off.

• Like 2

On 07/02/2023 at 23:54, TheEngineShed said:

If you want it centered, I'd use a small block against the inside of the wheel to push the rod to the correct position.  Might even use two blocks, with one on the center wheel.  Then use a soldering iron to gently heat the rod at the point where it attaches off to the left, which is out of the photo.

I did think that maybe judicious use of a soldering iron on a low temperature setting might be sufficient to persuade it to take a permanent set in the correct position.  Good idea to use something to hold it in the right place - I had had visions of trying to delicately juggle coach, iron and brake rodding detail with just two hands and it all going horribly wrong 😧

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Today I've received 5 emails from Hattons advising that my orders for the GNR coaches have been merged into one and the order has been processed.  Good news is that merging the orders together has meant that no delivery charge is incurred.   Credit card has been charged (ouch) so hopefully I'll see them in the next couple of days.  😀

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Today I've received 5 emails from Hattons advising that my orders for the GNR coaches have been merged into one and the order has been processed.  Good news is that merging the orders together has meant that no delivery charge is incurred.   Credit card has been charged (ouch) so hopefully I'll see them in the next couple of days.  😀

Likewise. Thus my Rapido Stirling Single will at long last acquire some stock. Didn’t expect them  quite as soon so a nice surprise but similar charge haemorrhoid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Likewise with the Stirling Single! 😃

But that was in another life….well 5 years ago. Actually,these GNR Genesis are arriving according to the schedule on Hattons website which under present circumstances seems exceptional. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I received a text message from my credit card company saying £110 had been debited from my account by Hattons and a quick check sees my trunk now has four GNR Genesis coaches in it. I have a number of other item on order so will wait until more arrives and SWMBO is away on a holiday before I get them delivered.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I must be lucky compared to some as "The Boss" is fully supportive of my hobby and my spending.  It may be because it was when I gave up smoking (which she detested) in 2007 that I got into the hobby and smoking 35-40 a day at that time my spending on the weed was far in excess of what I spend on models.  Judging by the price of cigarettes now I could possibly increase my model spending! 🤪

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I received a text message from my credit card company saying £110 had been debited from my account by Hattons and a quick check sees my trunk now has four GNR Genesis coaches in it. I have a number of other item on order so will wait until more arrives and SWMBO is away on a holiday before I get them delivered.

It could be worse, on Olivias Trains is a GNR Single at 700.GBP (sound fitted OK) if you need something to pull yourf coaches!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

It could be worse, on Olivias Trains is a GNR Single at 700.GBP (sound fitted OK) if you need something to pull yourf coaches!!

I already have two J70s which these coaches will be hauled by and two Wisbech and Upwell tram coaches on order. The preservation society intend to use one 4 wheel and one six wheel GNR coach on each train with one of the tram coaches completing the train. Tender engines are not used due to their length but I have a whole host of small tank engines just waiting for their turn and some nice carriages to go with them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

IMG_4578.JPG.b40f7f029754ae4290ecd16e269ac027.JPGIMG_4582.JPG.29de1f0ae4d36fc48c80faa8d8c3eb69.JPGIMG_4582.JPG.29de1f0ae4d36fc48c80faa8d8c3eb69.JPGHappiness is Bob shaped.  My GNR coaches arrived at about 11.30 and they are quite lovely little things,  all in one piece and the lights work so a big thank you to Hattons, they are worth the wait.   I've had a splendid time in The Shed running them behind the Rapido Stirling Single and all is well in my little part of the universe!  What more could I ask for?* 

* I'll settle for a glass of something tonight to celebrate.  😁

And I’ll raise one remotely with you. My five arrived with Amazon’s customary efficiency at 2:30 pm and have this moment been united with No:1 in the gathering dusk .Later,I’ll add a Dynomometer Car to the ensemble (not strictly accurate but it’ll look good).It too has lights and tomorrow I’ll equip them with Hunt Magnetic couplings.If they don’t work the Hornby ones will. Then the ensemble will look even better.

Here’s looking at you….Good health !

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And the use of Hunt Elite magnetic couplings makes them look even better. I tried my five GNR Genesis  this morning and after a little tweak the “train” works well .

An update on that. For some unaccountable reason the last session produced problems with a spate of derailments which has taken a while to ,ultimately,sort. It’s a set of 5 six wheelers with a floating central axle on each. I have learned the hard way that these lovely little things need very careful railing otherwise you’ll get problems.So finally,I built up the set one by one incrementally behind No:1 using the Hunt. All went well until the end coach which stubbornly refused to play with the rest of the set & loco. So I used a spare pair of Hornby magnetic ones ,with which I finally cracked it.  Running them has given me the opportunity finally to relish and enjoy the Single and realise what a spellbinding sight it is to see it working on the tracks. Quite outstanding.

• Like 7