'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I've spent a fairly angst-free half hour this evening fitting my rake of 7 up with Hornby R7399 20mm magnetic couplers. Conclusions; this really improved the look of the carriages. However, it also effectively limits them to 3rd radius curves or better. And even then the buffers on the inside are kissing. 2nd radius you might get around at dead slow, but buffer lock is almost certain. I think sprung buffers would have been a good idea for those if us who go looking for alternatives to train set couplers but don't have room for 5 or 6 foot radius curves. I think when I get around to the repaint I'm planning I'll retrofit sprung buffers too.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I wonder if Hattons would consider issuing a modified guards van to make up a typical early push pull stock. The drawing extract shows a LCDR 6 wheel coach which could be adapted from their standard unit:-

Screenshot from 2023-03-18 15-05-31.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

I can't seem to find an answer to this, though I'm sure someone has mentioned it. Does anybody know which of the new Hornby magnetic couplings work the best with Genesis coaches?

See 3 posts above yours🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Club night tonight saw a few of my collection of Genesis's (genesi??) Go for a spin on our test track. LNER 4coach pack paired up with Sonic' A5, and two LBSCR 4wheelers paired with Rapido's Small Hunslet. 

1293574270_3507Overlord.jpg.3a9d08f84f91ff17cc97549ebac2e86b.jpg

Defo looked the part paired with it though.

Nathan...

20230323_200412.jpg

Edited by D3489gibson
Corrected photo orientation
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Genesis's (genesi??)

If you want the Latin plural of Genesis, it is Geneses, strange as it may look. However, in this country we speak English, and the English plural is Genesises, which looks and sounds even stranger.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Budgie said:

If you want the Latin plural of Genesis, it is Geneses, strange as it may look. However, in this country we speak English, and the English plural is Genesises, which looks and sounds even stranger.

Genesises is not the English plural. English, as a combination of a number of different roots, does often use rules from those roots (oxen rather than oxes (Germanic), theses rather than thesises (Latin)), so geneses is acceptable in English; a number of dictionary definitions specify geneses as well.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

13 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Club night tonight saw a few of my collection of Genesis's (genesi??) Go for a spin on our test track. LNER 4coach pack paired up with Sonic' A5, and two LBSCR 4wheelers paired with Rapido's Small Hunslet. 

20230323_200412.jpg.a636a7e7ef2545930da218cecd2d7f24.jpg

(Unsure why the photo is upside down) 

Defo looked the part paired with it though.

Nathan...

Didn't Hornby magnetize the driving wheels so they would stick to the track?  Must be for the Australian market?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This thread has gone curiously quiet - no subject matter for three months now!

I am delighted with my LNER 6 wheel full brakes: they are stunningly good, both in the way they have been designed and made, and in the livery finish. 

Has anyone been adapting their coaches, by adding a clerestory, for example, or by converting them to push pull working as in howardb’s post of 18 March above?  Photographs or description would be welcome.

John

• Like 7

One would be inclined to say never say never, considering that I believe someone has said somewhere (whether in this thread or somewhere else on the internet) that Hattons are not considering rereleasing the first run liveries at least initially.

Maybe a run 4 with some of the older popular and some new liveries?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

One would be inclined to say never say never, considering that I believe someone has said somewhere (whether in this thread or somewhere else on the internet) that Hattons are not considering rereleasing the first run liveries at least initially.

Maybe a run 4 with some of the older popular and some new liveries?

Run4 ??  

They haven't got their "Batch 2" liveries out to customers yet.  The go-ahead for these seems to have been contingent on the success or otherwise of Batch 1, which in the event was very well received and did sell rather well.  Then there is supposed to be Batch 3 described as a  "We intend to...", still with no date set and comprising the following liveries only described as "proposed".  I would not expect much to be said about Run 4 until we have a clear idea of what will be in Batch 3. 

• North Eastern Railway
  • Caledonian Railway
  • Metropolitan Railway
  • SDJR
  • Longmoor Military Railway
  • Further BR Departmental Examples

If Batches 2 & 3 do as well as Batch 1 then they will clearly be a business decision for Hattons to make about re-runs or even more obscure liveries.   It also remains to be seen what further competition there is from other firms (clerestory stock perhaps?); there doesn't seem to have been another round of the Hornby generics as yet, but that could happen, and other firms may yet see this concept as an opportunity.   Since Genesis is a kits of alternative parts which can be differently combined, Hattons also have the option of considering alternative liveries used by some of the companies they have already done, but perhaps with different configurations of compartments, wheel arrangements, lighting type, etc.

Having said that, I can't help thinking that if I were in their shoes I would be looking at including in Batch 3 a rerun of the most popular of the stock sold in Batch 1 and maybe deferring the slightly more obscure Metropolitan & Longmoor Military Railways.  They must by now have a pretty good idea of how well Batch 2 is going down, so it is high time they had firmed up their plans for Batch 3 - but that's not to say they should necessarily be announcing it yet.  And to some extent their final choice could be influenced by any forthcoming period locos that might be announced by other manufacturers.

I am delighted to see all these liveries as likely to appear in RTR in due course, but I can't help thinking this massive Geneisis project must have diverted both finacial and design resources away from their other projects, perhaps contributing to the cancellation of their Plasser twin jib crane which I still have on my Hattons wishlist.

• Like 4

I would have to disagree, but of course we're all just potential customers for any future models. I say Run 4 as I would expect Run 3 to most likely consist of the liveries suggested, and with Met 1 coming it would make sense to produce the Metropolitan liveried ones, so maybe one or two liveries from Run 1 are included, however I would be more inclined to say run 3 would be liveries not in the two previous runs. Again we do not know, we are all outside of the decision process so at the end of the day we will have to wait and see what is announced and what isn't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 30/06/2023 at 18:39, it's-er said:

by adding a clerestory

A series of alternative roof styles might be the sort of thing which an enterprising 3D designer/printer could make viable...

For my part I'm hoping for Hattons to develop the range to include similarly proto-literate short bogie stock, which would round out the generic pre-Grouping theme very nicely.

...and then a small range of 'generic' locos (0-4-0T, 0-6-0T, 0-6-0, 2-4-0?), please. Package with a circuit of track and two turnouts included for a Sam-style trainset

and Hatton's could be in a position to open up their own factory. I hear Margate's nice this time of economic cycle year...

Just a thought 😇

• Like 8

No idea why so many minds now default to 3D printing as the expected method for production of aftermarket or limited-demand "complete" items / parts. 3D printing is either expensive, or produces rough surfaces, or both. Resin casting for instance, done properly, is far cheaper and can produce perfect surface finish, without brittleness of parts.

No, I'm not offering to make alternative roofs for fantasy coaches.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, MoarCrossovers said:

I don't suppose Hattons would be interested in re-releasing some of the older liveries  at some point in the future?

Yes  -  especially those that weren't supplied despite a long standing order !

( Me, bitter ?  Never ! )

• Friendly/supportive 6

43 minutes ago, gr.king said:

No idea why so many minds now default to 3D printing as the expected method for production of aftermarket or limited-demand "complete" items / parts.

No expectation, just observation.

43 minutes ago, gr.king said:

3D printing is either expensive, or produces rough surfaces, or both. Resin casting for instance, done properly, is far cheaper and can produce perfect surface finish, without brittleness of parts.

At least you acknowledge that you're incorrect on all counts, I suppose.

If you're going to sound off at least do it such a way as to move the convo forward, otherwise it's just a waste of all our time.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Schooner said:

No expectation, just observation.

At least you acknowledge that you're incorrect on all counts, I suppose.

If you're going to sound off at least do it such a way as to move the convo forward, otherwise it's just a waste of all our time.

Where does he acknowledge he is incorrect? Your emphasis doesn't show anything apart from making more obvious that the process has to be done properly. Have you even seen any of Mr King's castings?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Where does he acknowledge he is incorrect? 

He does seem to be running down 3D printing, which as I'm sure we all know is a rapidly developing technique which, when done properly, can produce results comparable with resin casting, but also has the advantage of being a one-step process and hence well suited for small-volume production. 

19 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Have you even seen any of Mr King's castings?

He quite reasonably wants to advocate the method he himself uses but this does show that, if he has a commercial interest, he is not an impartial commentator! 

• Like 1

To qualify only comments related to castings suggested to me that the comparison could not be trusted. No slight intended to the quality of anyone's casts, nor 3D prints - I can't see how that's relevant.

I've had some expensive cast resin parts rougher n'a badger's arse; I've had some very reasonable 3D prints of exquisite quality, of a material flexible enough to use for perfectly functional independent buffer spring coils and so resilient I could barely snap the sprue between two pairs of pliers (paging @billbedford). I'm sure we can all name our favoured suppliers of various parts in various media - the person involved matters, as @Bucoops rightly suggests. So what's the point in arbitrarily picking the peak of one method and the trough of another in a comment comparing them? Not an honest one, I felt.

It's both more interesting and useful to compare methods as directly as possible so designers, manufacturers and consumers can progress...no?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Schooner said:

To qualify only comments related to castings suggested to me that the comparison could not be trusted. No slight intended to the quality of anyone's casts, nor 3D prints - I can't see how that's relevant.

I've had some expensive cast resin parts rougher n'a badger's arse; I've had some very reasonable 3D prints of exquisite quality, of a material flexible enough to use for perfectly functional independent buffer spring coils and so resilient I could barely snap the sprue between two pairs of pliers (paging @billbedford). I'm sure we can all name our favoured suppliers of various parts in various media - the person involved matters, as @Bucoops rightly suggests. So what's the point in arbitrarily picking the peak of one method and the trough of another in a comment comparing them? Not an honest one, I felt.

It's both more interesting and useful to compare methods as directly as possible so designers, manufacturers and consumers can progress...no?

But Mr King isn't saying 3D printing should be dismissed, he is saying he finds it strange that it seems to be the default go-to solution when resin casting is a decent alternative. I also have quite a few of Bill's prints and the resin he uses is superb - as you say it is very flexible.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

No idea why so many minds now default to 3D printing as the expected method for production of aftermarket or limited-demand "complete" items / parts. 3D printing is either expensive, or produces rough surfaces, or both. Resin casting for instance, done properly, is far cheaper and can produce perfect surface finish, without brittleness of parts.

I'm reminded of the person who taught me to engrave. He said you should take a four-inch cube of steel, fill the top surface with gravings, file off all the marks on that surface then fill it with more engravings. By the time the block can't be filed any more, you'll be a reasonably good engraver.

It is easy enough to make marks with a graver, even in steel, but it takes time and effort to make a living from it. I think much the same applies to 3D printing or even Resin casting   

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1