'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nile said:

Could this be stock displaced by electrification?

Not, I think, in the Taff Vale case. When the LNWR took over the NLR, they built several sets of new 4-wheelers in LNWR style, displacing the NLR-s characteristic stock. But it wouldn't surprise me if there was old LSWR and LBSCR stock sent over, which could well have been displaced by those companies' electrification schemes.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Not, I think, in the Taff Vale case. When the LNWR took over the NLR, they built several sets of new 4-wheelers in LNWR style, displacing the NLR-s characteristic stock. But it wouldn't surprise me if there was old LSWR and LBSCR stock sent over, which could well have been displaced by those companies' electrification schemes.

The bodies of many LSWR and LBSCR six-wheelers were split up and rearranged onto new frames to make the electric units. There was thus an element of displacing themselves....

You may, however, be correct where vehicles considered too old or worn for rebuilding were concerned.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2020 at 15:34, Simonsteel said:

I've just been checking out the CAD's for the 6 wheel coaches. From the looks of it, the seating appears to lie within the brake compartment. Don't know whether this is an error or not, but some passengers won't be able to see outside!! :P

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 15.30.00.png

Hi Simon,

Thanks for spotting this! We've already picked this up with the CAD developer - its a case of the seating part being added the wrong way round.

This is now amended and both passengers and guard have their appropriate spaces :-)

Thanks to everyone else replying to the thread also. I'm glad you like what we've shown so far and there's some great information being shared about potential other duties for the Genesis coaches too. I for one can't wait to see how everyone incorporates them into your layouts.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As for this type of stock in military service, as they're generic a liberal application of rule 1 will be applied. I want a couple of riding vans to go with my Oxford Rail rail mounted gun. Its only a question of which types are most suitable.

• Like 2

From a list of vehicles allocated to the support train for "Piecemaker" the sergeants coach is given as SR 1661.

This number is in in the series for LCDR 6 wheel all 3rd class coaches.

a picture of the living vans for one of the heavy rail guns I have shows a similar coach in two tone camouflage livery. The view is rather poor but it appears to be a 6 wheel coach.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

From a list of vehicles allocated to the support train for "Piecemaker" the sergeants coach is given as SR 1661.

This number is in in the series for LCDR 6 wheel all 3rd class coaches.

a picture of the living vans for one of the heavy rail guns I have shows a similar coach in two tone camouflage livery. The view is rather poor but it appears to be a 6 wheel coach.

Thanks for that, the trains accompanying the guns were of a varied mix of vehicles including French and Hungarian ferry vans 'trapped' here. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 05/08/2020 at 10:55, JIJ said:

Using this button at the top you can change how it is rendered: Screenshot_20200805-105145.png.4b7c14da9421487a1ede0f5fa7bc771c.png

The translucent blue and wireframe options make it far easier to see what is going on. As far as I can see, they have just left some clearance around the axle ends.

I would recommend looking at the models with the different renderings, you can even see the luggage racks in the compartments

Viewing through the roof the racks are quite a chunky feature

Screenshot_2020-08-17 Hattons Genesis 4-Wheel Third Class Coach (H4-4T-XXX).png

Screenshot_2020-08-17 Hattons Genesis 4-Wheel Third Class Coach (H4-4T-XXX).jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-17 Hattons Genesis 4-Wheel Third Class Coach (H4-4T-XXX)(1).png

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, maico said:

Viewing through the roof the racks are quite a chunky feature

Well yes but imagine the extra cost to etch something, and assemble them , that you’ll only possibly see if looking up into a coach from below on an embankment or a viaduct. 
It’s just a representation and easy enough to replace if you want finer details inside. As most people don’t populate their coaches I doubt they’ll notice ;) 

• Agree 6

On 09/08/2020 at 22:37, Pre Grouping fan said:

Ive had a proper look at the drawings in the x-ray view and it appears the larger diameter axle centre could be a plastic tube/sleeve in which the wheel and half axle is pushes into, to aid gauging perhaps.

Yes, you can see it here. The metal axles can't touch of course or it will short

Screenshot_2020-08-17 Hattons Genesis 4-Wheel Third Class Coach (H4-4T-XXX)(2).png

• Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 23:12, Pre Grouping fan said:

You can just about see a slider mechanism for the centre wheelset, granted its hard to see being an all white CAD model. Clues are cutouts in the centre part of the stepboards probably show the extent of the how far the centre axle slides.

Ive just takes a quick look at the CAD's which look great. And I've noticed the footboard are screwed to the chassis rather than glued tabs. Pretty neat and should allow easy changing if one were to get broken in future. 

Screenshot_2020-08-18 Hattons Genesis 6-wheel Full Brake Coach (H4-6FB-XXX).png

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

As well as the CADs, we're now producing the final colour layouts for the Genesis coaches.

The first of these we're showing are the LB&SCR vehicles but I'll be sharing images of the other liveries over the next month.

You can see all the colour layouts for the individual LB&SCR vehicles by clicking the link below:

Hattons Genesis coaches - LB&SCR colour layouts

As ever, please let me know any thoughts you may have.

Cheers,

Dave

H4-46Pack-1601_RMweb.jpg.55d8ec0189ce1bcb29a5c8904011e99b.jpg

• Like 14

Just now, maico said:

Was the WC access via first class only? 

It usually was in that period. Otherwise there was an unacceptable risk of a first class passenger encountering the general population. 

Alan 

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

As most people don’t populate their coaches I doubt they’ll notice ;) 

I'd love to populate my coaches. I remember the trains I used to travel on to and from school, fifty to sixty years ago. Eight-car trains, packed to the gunwales. I wish somebody would make commuter models to fill RTR coaches. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well they do but you pay a lot for it as they use detailed figures. I use cheap figures off ebay to bulk out the aisle seats with Noch and others against the windows where they be seen. Often the cheap ones on an aisle seat just provide a silhouette which looks better than no one at all in there so you can get away with 3-4 better figures with 10 cheapo ones to make a coach look busy :) 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

underscale people from the Continent 

Not necessarily underscale - especially for the Thirds. Late 19th/early 20th century people were on average shorter than people today. For seated passengers, the key thing using modern plastic figures such as Noch or Preiser will be to modify the female figures so that their knees are not visible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A problem with fitting 00 scale figures to 00 scale model cars such as Oxford Diecast is that they simply won't fit. This is due to several factors such as many cars being a snug fit for the occupants and the thickness of the glazing (a scale 2"-3"). H0 figures fit much easier and do not appear too small. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think the choice for populating coaches is underscale people from the Continent or heavy metal ones from the UK aftermarket ! ........... neither option's cheap.

If you were unscrupulous you could buy a small selection of figures, use them as masters to make silicone rubber moulds, and cast multiple resin copies, but that wouldn't show proper respect for the legal rights of the original manufacturer.

• Like 1

Given that passengers inside a coach are only going to be partly visible, you might as well get a job lot of cheap ones from eBay - especially if you're going to have to repaint them anyway to make them appear a bit more Edwardian. They're not as detailed as those from the likes of Noch or Preiser, but inside the glazing most people will barely notice. Something like this would probably be a useful starting point.

• Agree 1

I was going to mention the point about it being difficult to see the passengers in such a vehicle. I put correct details inside a restaurant car having only traditional narrow drop-light type windows, then wondered why I had bothered as it is hard enough to see the colour and style of the seating, let alone anything else.

Edited by gr.king
Spelling mistake!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

Given that passengers inside a coach are only going to be partly visible, you might as well get a job lot of cheap ones from eBay - especially if you're going to have to repaint them anyway to make them appear a bit more Edwardian. They're not as detailed as those from the likes of Noch or Preiser, but inside the glazing most people will barely notice. Something like this would probably be a useful starting point.

I would not advise those figures as they are 1:50 according to the information even if it is marked 00 scale in the heading. 

• Informative/Useful 1