Coach corridors.

I am trying to think of what could be used to create coach corridors.
I have examples of the acetate ones supplied by etched pixels, and a metal one of unknown origin that was included in a job-lot of coach parts.
Would it be possible for corridors to be produced by laser cutting, from a stouter material than thin acetate?
Perhaps a continuous strip could be produced that would suffice for 4 or 5 coaches, and could be cut to the required length?
Could they be 3D printed maybe?

What do others think?

5 hours ago, wellseasoned said:

I am trying to think of what could be used to create coach corridors.

What do others think?

Could you perhaps clarify how you are using the term "corridor"?

Do you mean the Coach gangways between coaches, such as MJT's LNER/Pullman gangway (link here)?

Or the actual divider between the corridor and the compartments -- which will vary according to company and coach -- (example from RDEB here)?

I've used the MJT gangways and they are effective.  They are easy to make as well using some black craft paper and plastic card.  It depends on how realistic you want them to be.  My goal was always to eliminate the unsightly daylight between coaches and these do that.

John

• Like 1

Ah' sorry, I am referring to the divider between corridor and the compartments. Yes their will be variation but something like a LMS 57ft corridor is fairly standard.
I would think if we had some standard corridors some adaptation could be used as required.

• RMweb Premium

Scale, and your curves (or corners for those of us using trainset-size track) are the important things. For OO I've had good results using the "floating end-plates" from keen-systems.com on 18" radius curves (sometimes with added card, e.g. on Bachmann 4-CEP where the couplers are on the long side). For more-gentle curves card 'bellows' are apparently fine.

Since you mention Etched Pixels I rather think you might be talking about N. I thought Dapol had come up with something, but maybe not for all their coaches and perhaps I'm mistaken.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/10/2019 at 14:07, brossard said:

I've used the MJT gangways and they are effective.  They are easy to make as well using some black craft paper and plastic card.  It depends on how realistic you want them to be.  My goal was always to eliminate the unsightly daylight between coaches and these do that.

John

Can I bump this topic to ask @brossard if these can be used on the Hornby full brake for your reason above.

I'm not familiar with the full brake you mention, but I don't see why not.  here are some pics:

P1010017-1.JPG.063818964da66cc4ca4e1f8e0ce1a4fe.JPG

Craft paper folded a la MJT.

P1010019-1.JPG.c525a4cf560f8747a6152df1c2c397df.JPG

Plastic card rubbing plates using the coach parts as a template.  You want to get this right, there are a lot of different shapes.

P1010012-1.JPG.f686f4775b3d130ce0253c6df03b2e54.JPG

Slightly different corridor using MJT etched rubbing plate.

P1010009-1.JPG.ff08ef6d090999f41a91034dfa7df5dc.JPG

I will mention that any moulded detail on the coach end should be cut away, or you will end up with a coach gap that is HUGE.

HTH

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, brossard said:

I'm not familiar with the full brake you mention, but I don't see why not.  here are some pics:

P1010017-1.JPG.063818964da66cc4ca4e1f8e0ce1a4fe.JPG

Craft paper folded a la MJT.

P1010019-1.JPG.c525a4cf560f8747a6152df1c2c397df.JPG

Plastic card rubbing plates using the coach parts as a template.  You want to get this right, there are a lot of different shapes.

P1010012-1.JPG.f686f4775b3d130ce0253c6df03b2e54.JPG

Slightly different corridor using MJT etched rubbing plate.

P1010009-1.JPG.ff08ef6d090999f41a91034dfa7df5dc.JPG

It was mainly the MJT LNER etches that interested me John.

Yes. Just look at the photo here.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2820.php

Make up the bellows as above and glue the etches to each end and then the plain etch to the coach end. Instructions in the pack. 

The Keen System is worth a look as well. I used them on the old type Hornby Pullmans before Hornby decided to make new ones....

http://keen-systems.com/Carriage Ends.html

Jason

• Like 1

However people do these, they make a difference and I applaud those who make the effort.  Whenever I see a layout at a show, I always check for daylight between the coaches.  Whenever I see that (and regrettably it is more often than not) I usually walk away.

John

• Like 1

I'm playing around with Keen Systems stuff at the moment, got two coaches fitted with their Floating end plates and they look seriously good, close coupling and no gap. Perfect for within rakes if you run coaches in permanent sets. There's a variety on their website but some do necessitate pretty drastic surgery to the stock you're fitting them to. My advice there would be to do some research, and if necessary  practice on a scrap coach body.

Bachmann pipe couplers give a reasonably close couple with the gangways virtually touching and the cam arrangement allows them to move apart around curves. I'm looking to use these 

There is one company that does etched brass 'working' gangways which contract when coupling. I'll be obtaining some of these soon and fitting them to my 'Experimentals' to see how they work. I missed out on a coach fitted with these on Ebay.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1