Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

10 minutes ago, Weeny Works said:

That scrap metal pile is amazing!

Thanks, definitely something worth the effort.  I have been asked how long it took to build but I literally have no idea as I just added bits over the years. 

Edited by 37114
Typo

Less than 2 weeks to the layouts next show, the layout is mid spruce up with a lot of focus being on how the non scenic areas are presented, copious amounts of black paint being applied to match the existing layout fascias. The old drapes from Pallet Lane have been dragged out of storage and will be washed/Ironed before being adorned on the layout. I had moved away from drapes as they are one more think to store/forget/add on but they do make a difference to the presentation.

There is also a new addition to the loco roster; I had fancied a Hymek for a while and wanted to model 7017 in its final months complete with vinyl numerals. I recently acquired this Hymek off eBay, which is DCC Sound fitted.

20230401_152845.jpg.9010ee1f0c83078a79161cbe0b6b049e.jpg

Since the photo has been taken the sound chip has been removed and is now on ebay. This is one of the earlier releases and the lighting had been rewired to the chip so the original circuit board wouldn't connect so I have removed one motor and hard wired the pickups to the motor, I can live without lights. The removal of the 2nd motor is to reduce the current draw below 1amp. 

The body has been dismantled and headboard clips removed as they were not fitted to D7017. The ends will be changed to full yellow as well.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Someone at work was whinging about my accounts not being nicely presented the other day.

I like to think that something that outstanding doesn't need frills but suppose I can see the merit now :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It feels like only yesterday I was loading up for Crewe but it is less than 48 hours to Calne show which at the moment is my last outing in 2023, say hi if you are passing. Thankfully Calne is only 20 mins drive away so not too early a start on Saturday. I had harboured an outside chance of getting the Hymek ready but time and other things have worked against me. 

In terms of future show I have a trip to Stafford in 2025 pencilled in as well as interest from the New Milton show for next year. I will take the break in the shows to crack on with the extension over the next year.

• Like 5

On 29/12/2020 at 10:05, bcnPete said:

If you are looking for a long term solution Rob, as a fellow newbie to 7mm scale I am using the foam inserts from Jon Burnham.

I have seen Jon at the Wycrail and Tolworth shows 2019 and I recall he does inserts for all scales as I bought a few off him for my 2mmFS rolling stock with plastic cases.

The 7mm ones can fit two within those ‘Really Useful Storage Boxes’ 48 Litre capacity. The length accommodates my old Lima Mk I coaches bought a few years ago so would have thought it should accommodate a class 37 too...hope so as I have one on order ;) 

Jon sometimes advertises on eBay and I have an email address for him - if of interest I can PM the deats.

569528B7-A792-4DDB-BE02-F1ED9F4FB53A.jpeg.ded3de763c4573d4bef15babe08a8d4b.jpeg

0831DF21-3FD2-4091-9EDE-F6C158F95DA6.jpeg.b56522cb95aa89c207e129509362cce3.jpeg

CBD798BD-1CC2-4B45-9F48-606E0CEFD63B.jpeg.c43e23d7116ed01dac703b2cfd044225.jpeg

Hi Pete,

Could you send me the details of who has supplied you the foam inserts please?

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Looking good Rob, you need to go DCC wont have to worry about controllers on show. Just plug a handset into a socket in the board.

Spookily @Calnefoxile said the same just as I was reading the above Nick... I am also pitched opposite youchoos who have some nice sound stuff on display.  I am non technical on things like electronic and digital bits (Our IT tech team at work all go on break when they see my name pop up). Maybe on the next layout.

A few photos of stock on the layout, a different view of the DMU

20230415_093833.jpg.097a832849e799c6c8d2032b3e5f37ce.jpg

03382 is first train of the show.

20230415_102208.jpg.181117a2dd4b6cca24978a826b79bcf3.jpg

• Like 11

Even I've taken the leap to DCC Rob, there's a cardboard box under the coffee table with base station, handset and WiFi gubbins.

Not sure how it works mind you, I need time to set it up and play!

Look forward to seeing the layout later on.

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, North Eastern said:

Hi Pete,

Could you send me the details of who has supplied you the foam inserts please?

Regards

Chris

Chris - I will PM you the details - Pete

On 15/04/2023 at 10:30, 37114 said:

Spookily @Calnefoxile said the same just as I was reading the above Nick... I am also pitched opposite youchoos who have some nice sound stuff on display.  I am non technical on things like electronic and digital bits (Our IT tech team at work all go on break when they see my name pop up). Maybe on the next layout.

I think sound suits small O gauge layouts like ours, it adds an extra dimension. Having a small layout with just one loco working at a time means you actually get to hear the engine sounds. To many times I have been at an exhibition and watched OO gauge depot layouts with lots of locos idling all you hear is noise and generally you can'tpick out a specific loco class. The other benefit of O gauge is you can fit larger speakers for more bass even in shunters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nick G said:

I think sound suits small O gauge layouts like ours, it adds an extra dimension. Having a small layout with just one loco working at a time means you actually get to hear the engine sounds. To many times I have been at an exhibition and watched OO gauge depot layouts with lots of locos idling all you hear is noise and generally you can'tpick out a specific loco class. The other benefit of O gauge is you can fit larger speakers for more bass even in shunters.

The Youchoos guys did a good job to do the hard sell, they had some class 50 fitted with some massive speaker on full chat this afternoon!

• Like 2

Well that's another show done, good show by the BMRG crew, and an enjoyable weekend, with some nice comments about the layout. I found out through conversation with a couple of the visitors that one of my former layouts (Parsons Vale) is in this month's Hornby Magazine so will have to get a copy. 

Here is a few photos I took from today. I need to add some residual scrap to the empty wagons;

20230416_143625.jpg.dafcb6360aa0d64b055044bb82e5c548.jpg

37029 had a few fans today, a couple of guys literally filmed every move it made for  bit

20230416_143641.jpg.2199690743094dcf6d91097ed8f10805.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

No real progress on the layout but a couple of projects are on the go.

7017 is now back in one piece awaiting weathering which I will start later in the weekend.  I chose 7017 as it had vinyl numerals for a bit and was the last Hymek in service. I had to remove the headboard clips not fitted to the earlier Hymek which was fine as I needed to paint the full yellow ends

20230506_140008.jpg.2fe6737265300aba9ddffce14c40379a.jpg

Also on the workbench is a Steve Beattie Dodge Crew van, this has it's own thread in the Road Vehicles section.

20230504_203311.jpg.84226e27af271b673c79bc1b0eb71517.jpg

• Like 9