The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spam phone call

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

BEWARE.

I have just had a spam call from 01713878672 which identifies as a UK number but my call logger on the phone shows it as an International.

It stated off as a recorded message "This is a call from your internet provider*. We have not been able to contact you.........." as soon as it got to that I put the phone down as it is total rubbish and obviously phishing.

* No name, my provider would always identify itself and they e-mail me!

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hi all

BEWARE.

I have just had a spam call from 01713878672 which identifies as a UK number but my call logger on the phone shows it as an International.

It stated off as a recorded message "This is a call from your internet provider*. We have not been able to contact you.........." as soon as it got to that I put the phone down as it is total rubbish and obviously phishing.

We had five of those last week. They seem to come in batches. About two months since the previous lot.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hi all

BEWARE.

They never get that far with me. If I am about and do not recognize the number I let it go to the answer machine.

There has been a run of them recently.

Any one else get the "press number 1" nonsense?

Bernard 

Its either a Windows problem-I don't use Windows or my BT internet is up the creek-I don't use BT. Depends on my mood as to how nice I am to them LOL. TPS can do little about most of them because they are from overseas even if the number looks UK they can clone them apparently.

• RMweb Premium

I've had three calls today, supposedly from Amazon about automatically taking a direct debit payment for my prime account for this year (which I don't have).  To change or discuss, press button 1......

Yeah, right....

• Agree 7

Before I  got rid on my landline (only last month) I used a CPR Call Blocker that only allowed numbers that I had whitelisted to get through. Not on the list (which was short) - no ring. Even my mobile only rings on callers on my contact list. I can still get text alerts from my bank, doctors etc.  I doesn't bother me that I may have lost out on PPI, accident claims or help fixing my pc problems.

• Like 5

I wonder if this will soon be a thing - only answering telephone calls from known callers.

I rarely answer anything but, maybe one every 3 months?  Sometimes even less than that.

It's like I rarely open the front door unless I'm expecting something.

Feel like putting out a notice saying "If you're not the post person or a courier, go away!".

But then pretty much all couriers use my not-so-secret place to put parcels anyway.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Had an automated call from 'HMRC' the other day, advising me I was under investigation and if I didn't press '1' I would soon be arrested.

I didn't press '1' and am currently hiding in plain sight, surprisingly not actually expecting the rozzers to turn up. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/10/2019 at 16:00, polybear said:

I've had three calls today, supposedly from Amazon about automatically taking a direct debit payment for my prime account for this year (which I don't have).  To change or discuss, press button 1......

Yeah, right....

We are getting a spate of these "Amazon" calls at the moment too, also sometimes up to 2 or 3 a day, silence for a few days, then a whole lot more. Really annoying as I am applying for jobs and expecting calls back from recruiters, so it gets my hopes up every time it rings. Grrr.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Since I made my original post I haven't had any more.

Hmm. Maybe it's someone on here and they realise they've been rumbled.............:jester:

I think they are all trying to call me.

Well, about half the population of Mumbai seems to be.

Bernard

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I think they are all trying to call me.

Well, about half the population of Mumbai seems to be.

Bernard

(You'll have to imagine the accent:)

"Hello. Am I talking to Mister Peter?"

I like winding them up:

"I would love to talk to you, but only if you tell me what it is you are trying to sell me."

"I am not trying to sell you anything."

"Last chance. What are you trying to sell me?"

Click. Brrrr.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

(You'll have to imagine the accent:)

"Hello. Am I talking to Mister Peter?"

I like winding them up:

"I would love to talk to you, but only if you tell me what it is you are trying to sell me."

"Last chance. What are you trying to sell me?"

Click. Brrrr.

Probably true. The trick is to get you to 'do a survey', then with the information thus gleaned, they will then pester you with targeted sales calls.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Most of the ones I have had recently have been automated - which is no fun as you can't wind them up...

Lenny has been reprogrammed to dial 1 for the automated service, which then goes to the call centre.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

The one bit of good news here in the US is that they are changing the laws to allow the phone companies to stop these calls. At the moment even though the phone company can easily see these are spam calls they are not allowed to stop them. It would be nice to believe that this change is being done because these calls are, at the least, annoying but I believe it is due to another reason. From what I have read about a 1/3 of all calls in the US are now spam calls and the phone system is having difficulty coping - and as the phone companies don't get any money for these calls they want then stopped.

But whatever the reason I will be glad when they are gone. Just have to be concerned about what is the next way we will get spammed!

Rob 

• RMweb Premium

Our phone goes to the answering machine after 2 rings. If we are in the front room, we don't hear the rings but may hear my voice and check the extension there. If there is no useful information on the ID we ignore it. If they don't leave a message we ignore it.

Last week I had a lot of eMails telling me my mailbox was full and I should ...

Most of them went directly to my Spam folder.

I have had those calls claiming that I will lose my landline if I don't change over to our NBN - so be a devil, I did press 1 & got some firm supposedly represent Telstra here in Aust & politely told them that

a. I have not been with Telstra for many months  &

b. If your records were upto date, you would know that I changed over to NBN 2 years ago.

click from their end - I wonder why ? ^_^

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sol said:

I have had those calls claiming that I will lose my landline if I don't change over to our NBN - so be a devil, I did press 1 & got some firm supposedly represent Telstra here in Aust & politely told them that

a. I have not been with Telstra for many months  &

b. If your records were upto date, you would know that I changed over to NBN 2 years ago.

click from their end - I wonder why ? ^_^

Just had a friend tell me that at a shopping centre kiosk, there was an NBN stand.

The girl he spoke to was called Nicole (the name used by the NBN spammers). He says that she uses her name as a conversation starter.

If you can't beat them, join them!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have had five calls so far today claiming to be from virgin media all UK numbers 

all giving an English name but with a very strong Indian accent reading very badly from a scrip 

telling me my internet will be cut off as my direct debit has not gone through 

also they could not tell me who the account holder was due to security reasons 

I kept them on the line for as long as i could but in the end they hung up on me when they realised that i was stringing them along 

John

• Round of applause 9

Call Blocker phone on landline - problem there solved :D

Mobiles are, I agree, not quite so easy to prevent nuisance calls, but forwarding the number by text to 7726 should be done - before blocking the number on your phone...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1