Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

8 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

Haven't seen any activity here for a while- but wonderful things do still keep turning up.

You can blame my personal lack of motivation, and being very much engrossed in a totally forum-irrelevant project. 
That BTP is beautiful though. Might have to snap that up!

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Unsure if the model is still on the ‘Bay, but I found this a while back.IMG_0744.png.28137335296140f713a0a75983872bc3.png

A Rosebud/Airfix/Dapol Prairie tank body, running on the Triang L1 4-4-0 chassis, rear bogie fitted from something else, looks like the builder was trying to build a County tank.R.png.33d053b9ed0a91bab29a23b8d6924a71.png

Rather tempted to give this bash a stab myself now…

Ah, the GWR 2221 County Tanks.

• Like 1

Probably too much in one dose, but here’s two more crude Thomas models!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335068536030?hash=item4e03a41cde:g:6sIAAOSwUt5k2mxF&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABEB9QK7d%2FloV9dvp5DGx%2FekflHRaWHrJn5q8hPlQbkkXSX0vnfS%2B9kep44kf1gcCWvezdyq7Y1ThJC14IeYXkkKw7%2FRxPFQzs%2BxA%2FkTpGe13RWiFXaMdfN59%2F3eQiBWKGR1EbeUrhaxXpq9pp85iWdAycs7SJ6VDkde7egqaui%2Bely6ypPEhez%2F4WMsRW3ZWAUiY%2Bww%2BWywLFP%2FhtVmbEpN9X%2FPX%2BgoiisccdLnwt0D2q5hDM16orHSeuJmkULYVNaL1OA9CPgVU15T0RpYTIY2iy9zWJSM1SLQiVMrJZvW7DB1D5%2Fr2mQUll4jfItQC%2FbbYtVtak%2FIGH7pednFFXZohDiMx0jmyiTzVcCNL9mnQu|tkp%3ABk9SR6jK9ZrsYg

IMG_3667.jpeg.d3d066f384e3493ba7a8e7b95cebca1b.jpeg

Triang Princess sloppily repainted as the character of Henry, uses a sticker from a children’s magazine for the number, and don’t even get me started on the puny B12 tender chassis under the Stanier tender body…IMG_3668.jpeg.069282eab1bd68de44df6a70424c2703.jpeg

And one more, this one from my own collection, not made by me!IMG_3669.jpeg.b377a47aa664d7980ff76c183c5cf91c.jpeg

Lima 0-4-0 crudely painted as Thomas, friend bought it from eBay for £12, didn’t like it and passed the demon onto me!

• Funny 3

On 22/10/2023 at 21:03, 33C said:

Another interesting bash. It looks wrong but right?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Quite smart actually. Looks almost like something I'd create.

On 24/10/2023 at 14:07, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

IMG_1672.jpeg.a3d50d9c83732b0ffac3ccae31192855.jpeg

(Old screenshot) Low effort Thomas model anyone?

Nice to see some things never change.

On 24/10/2023 at 16:35, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Probably too much in one dose, but here’s two more crude Thomas models!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335068536030?hash=item4e03a41cde:g:6sIAAOSwUt5k2mxF&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABEB9QK7d%2FloV9dvp5DGx%2FekflHRaWHrJn5q8hPlQbkkXSX0vnfS%2B9kep44kf1gcCWvezdyq7Y1ThJC14IeYXkkKw7%2FRxPFQzs%2BxA%2FkTpGe13RWiFXaMdfN59%2F3eQiBWKGR1EbeUrhaxXpq9pp85iWdAycs7SJ6VDkde7egqaui%2Bely6ypPEhez%2F4WMsRW3ZWAUiY%2Bww%2BWywLFP%2FhtVmbEpN9X%2FPX%2BgoiisccdLnwt0D2q5hDM16orHSeuJmkULYVNaL1OA9CPgVU15T0RpYTIY2iy9zWJSM1SLQiVMrJZvW7DB1D5%2Fr2mQUll4jfItQC%2FbbYtVtak%2FIGH7pednFFXZohDiMx0jmyiTzVcCNL9mnQu|tkp%3ABk9SR6jK9ZrsYg

IMG_3667.jpeg.d3d066f384e3493ba7a8e7b95cebca1b.jpeg

Triang Princess sloppily repainted as the character of Henry, uses a sticker from a children’s magazine for the number, and don’t even get me started on the puny B12 tender chassis under the Stanier tender body…IMG_3668.jpeg.069282eab1bd68de44df6a70424c2703.jpeg

And one more, this one from my own collection, not made by me!IMG_3669.jpeg.b377a47aa664d7980ff76c183c5cf91c.jpeg

Lima 0-4-0 crudely painted as Thomas, friend bought it from eBay for £12, didn’t like it and passed the demon onto me!

I've seen worse. At least it's not as low-effort as some we've had on here.

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

That is gorgeous and genuinely tempting. I do love me my weird one-off locos.

• Like 1

Hi All, I won the auction on the NER BTP/G6 posted a few days ago, sorry if anyone else was bidding! Its an incredibly charming model dare I say it was made when the last of the real things were being withdrawn, but decidedly not a kit bash, rather its entirely scratch built aside from the wheels, the model is made from steel sheet which explains the build-up of rust. It's also unpowered, I'm thinking a peco wonderful wagon and a triang motor bogie may make a suitable method of propulsion.

While the paint is very characterful I think I may give this charming thing a clean up, the rust needs removing and a repaint is in order, I would like to improve the details too, a new dome would match better and a smokebox dart, and I think proper handrails would also lift the model, the handrails are made from wire inserted into the model and another length fitted for the handrail itself with blobby solder for the knob. I'll give it a good clean and degrease first then see how I feel before committing possible sacrilege. 

hWZtsr3.jpg

13yRxXP.jpg

XHRNCUL.jpg

DsRC7FC.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Player of trains said:

Hi All, I won the auction on the NER BTP/G6 posted a few days ago, sorry if anyone else was bidding! Its an incredibly charming model dare I say it was made when the last of the real things were being withdrawn, but decidedly not a kit bash, rather its entirely scratch built aside from the wheels, the model is made from steel sheet which explains the build-up of rust. It's also unpowered, I'm thinking a peco wonderful wagon and a triang motor bogie may make a suitable method of propulsion.

While the paint is very characterful I think I may give this charming thing a clean up, the rust needs removing and a repaint is in order, I would like to improve the details too, a new dome would match better and a smokebox dart, and I think proper handrails would also lift the model, the handrails are made from wire inserted into the model and another length fitted for the handrail itself with blobby solder for the knob. I'll give it a good clean and degrease first then see how I feel before committing possible sacrilege. 

hWZtsr3.jpg

13yRxXP.jpg

XHRNCUL.jpg

DsRC7FC.jpg

Looks very interesting. There is a product I used on car parts called deoxc that eats the rust and often leaves the paint. After some hours soaking going over with a soft brush lifts the rust off leaving bare metal but without the damage a wire brush can cause.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Player of trains said:

hWZtsr3.jpg

13yRxXP.jpg

XHRNCUL.jpg

DsRC7FC.jpg

I would leave well alone as it's a piece of art!

A black beetle in place of the bogie may be a concession to power it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, 33C said:

I would leave well alone as it's a piece of art!

A black beetle in place of the bogie may be a concession to power it.

I must admit, I agree- although the paint job is pretty rough, as you say, it is charming- and all its history is in the top 1/2mm of surface.. I'd probably do the absolute bare minimum to try to stabilize the rust and otherwise keep it as it is.

• Agree 3

Are the wheels on the Fletcher 0-4-4T insulated? If not (probably not!) you'd have to change these too - trouble is (I speak from bitter, regretted experience) once you start altering a model like this you end up doing more and more and either lose the character of the original completely or (like me) end up with a handful of ruined pieces of tinplate and brass!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

41 minutes ago, Johnson044 said:

Are the wheels on the Fletcher 0-4-4T insulated? If not (probably not!) you'd have to change these too - trouble is (I speak from bitter, regretted experience) once you start altering a model like this you end up doing more and more and either lose the character of the original completely or (like me) end up with a handful of ruined pieces of tinplate and brass!

They are not, it may be that I begin working on a printed model instead. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Here's another sloppy repaint, Dublo 28 repainted as the character of BoCo, £200!?

That is, probably, the most horrifying HD repaint I've ever seen, and on a Cobo if you please!! I will have nightmares for a week!!😉

I've an old 3 railer that I was lucky enough to pick up about 30 years ago, it's playworn but not too bad so I'm happy to leave as is. On the other hand I've a spare body that has been given a grotty makeover by a previous owner which may,one day, end up in blue hauling some repainted blue subs. (too many ideas as usual)

Regards, Rich.

• Like 3