Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Thanks for the offer, Andy, but it won’t be used, rather displayed on a shelf or table as an  object d’art.  I won’t be doing anything to it just yet anyway, as stripping the paint from the wooden base (somebody’s painted this in what looks like white emulsion, not a quality job even by my standards of bodgery) and varnishing it is going to be a messy and malodorous job that I’d prefer to do outside on the patio (I know it’s a patio not a yard because it’s got patio doors) on the summer weather.  

Really? Think of all the wagon tarpaulins you could make......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Thanks for the offer, Andy, but it won’t be used, rather displayed on a shelf or table as an  object d’art.  I won’t be doing anything to it just yet anyway, as stripping the paint from the wooden base (somebody’s painted this in what looks like white emulsion, not a quality job even by my standards of bodgery) and varnishing it is going to be a messy and malodorous job that I’d prefer to do outside on the patio (I know it’s a patio not a yard because it’s got patio doors) on the summer weather.  

If it is emulsion, then if you wet it you will probably find that it will come off quite easily. I'm stripping paint off old MK light fittings and sockets (why don't people undo the screws and pull the faceplates forward before they paint?) at the minute, and thats the way I do it. If its oil paint, nitromors is applied..

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

If it is emulsion, then if you wet it you will probably find that it will come off quite easily. I'm stripping paint off old MK light fittings and sockets (why don't people undo the screws and pull the faceplates forward before they paint?) at the minute, and thats the way I do it. If its oil paint, nitromors is applied..

Andy G

Ahh- painting over light switches and ironmongery- the source of so much marital dis-harmony!

On 04/08/2022 at 21:03, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.0dadd8becdd5a7f4671c18327aaf08c8.png

Finally is this almost as bonkers LNER 4-8-2 called "Overshot" (I swear there's a Transformer with that name...), which was formerly for sale on themodelrailwayclub.com but has long since been sold, with its current location and owner being unknown. It's a really nicely made and interesting model, and I'm not sure if this is made using bespoke parts of this is just so well cut-and-shut that I can't see the joints. Either way it's a really cool piece and must be a great talking point for its current owner.

Hi there Redgem, indeed she is, I'm the one who picked it up! To be honest she's in bits at the moment waiting for a full restoration as its a lot more fragile than it appears. I'll try and post a few photos later if I can pull her from storage but I'll give a run down of the construction. The model as many can probably see has been made from a late Margate era Hornby Railways A3 as far as I can tell date wise, it's tender drive not loco drive reusing the period Ringfield drive, there had been an attempt to wire the motor directly to the pickups in the loco as the tender coupling is useless for conductivity as I'll elaborate but this wire was too stiff and wouldn't allow for much articulation wise. The reason for the typical conductive pickup being a bit obsolete for that task is because the original builder has binned the original chassis block. As can be seen the driving wheels have been replaced with Romfords and these are fitted into section of brass square as the main chassis with the rest of the locomotive being built around that, the drilling of the axles for this chassis weren't very accurate and the wheels are a bit sloppy so I'm going to fabricate a new chassis for it. In combination with this are the rods, the main coupling rods were made from soldering together rail and the original rods and the tolerances also hamper it in that regard too. 

I do agree with the joins are great, the body has been made by cutting and shutting together two A3 boilers using the smokebox of the second and a banjo dome which makes me assume the builder was working off Gresely's 1938 proposal for a 4-8-2 given the proportions. The boiler was closed off at the bottom without a chassis block inside it using paper cut from a Peco trackplan book! and then painted over and properly lined, before being stuffed with a brick of lead and plasticine (very 80s) turns out the plasticine was what was really holding it all together. The builder used nameplates from No.2580 Shotover spliced into Overshot are these maybe from KingsCross models? Overall its a fab model even in bits and is really deserving of a rebuild and I should get around to it one day. I'm reasonably convinced it was someone's first serious kitbash and despite its shortcomings the imagination shown was fantastic, I seriously hope the modeler is still with us and producing models as creative as this one. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, so the bogies pick up power from the track and there’s a slider switch on the lh side, but no drive mechanism.  What does it do?

I completely agree that it should not be humped, it’s already been f*cked. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 6

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2023 at 15:40, Player of trains said:

Hi there Redgem, indeed she is, I'm the one who picked it up! To be honest she's in bits at the moment waiting for a full restoration as its a lot more fragile than it appears. I'll try and post a few photos later if I can pull her from storage but I'll give a run down of the construction. The model as many can probably see has been made from a late Margate era Hornby Railways A3 as far as I can tell date wise, it's tender drive not loco drive reusing the period Ringfield drive, there had been an attempt to wire the motor directly to the pickups in the loco as the tender coupling is useless for conductivity as I'll elaborate but this wire was too stiff and wouldn't allow for much articulation wise. The reason for the typical conductive pickup being a bit obsolete for that task is because the original builder has binned the original chassis block. As can be seen the driving wheels have been replaced with Romfords and these are fitted into section of brass square as the main chassis with the rest of the locomotive being built around that, the drilling of the axles for this chassis weren't very accurate and the wheels are a bit sloppy so I'm going to fabricate a new chassis for it. In combination with this are the rods, the main coupling rods were made from soldering together rail and the original rods and the tolerances also hamper it in that regard too. 

I do agree with the joins are great, the body has been made by cutting and shutting together two A3 boilers using the smokebox of the second and a banjo dome which makes me assume the builder was working off Gresely's 1938 proposal for a 4-8-2 given the proportions. The boiler was closed off at the bottom without a chassis block inside it using paper cut from a Peco trackplan book! and then painted over and properly lined, before being stuffed with a brick of lead and plasticine (very 80s) turns out the plasticine was what was really holding it all together. The builder used nameplates from No.2580 Shotover spliced into Overshot are these maybe from KingsCross models? Overall its a fab model even in bits and is really deserving of a rebuild and I should get around to it one day. I'm reasonably convinced it was someone's first serious kitbash and despite its shortcomings the imagination shown was fantastic, I seriously hope the modeler is still with us and producing models as creative as this one. 

Interesting. Thanks for this, it's rare that someone gets back to us with continuation to the story of one of the locos we show on here, let alone it being someone I already know on here. Look forwards to seeing it possibly running again, and I agree, I hope the modeller is still with us as this is fantastic and this hobby can always use more creatively-minded modellers.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another wonderful old engine. Metal chassis with beautiful valve gear and the upperworks all made from wood - very nicely indeed. In need of careful conservation and some TLC. I wonder what stories this one has to tell? The rather NBL diamond plate says "1948" which looks about right. A conjectural vision of  what the brave new world post war railways might be going to build?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165983705282

Freelance pacific 2.JPG

Freelance pacific 3.JPG

Freelance Pacific.JPG

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now, this just turned up on eBay…

Triang Hornby Diesel Shunter (Tramway Conversion)

I’ve done screen shots of the photos if you don’t actually fancy visiting eBay and bidding on it…

F7BC9552-BCD8-4C51-936C-2653F6352415.jpeg.8af1da7f2a0d1d21a20ac8ebb82b5438.jpeg

5B3690F4-50AA-408F-8043-3C281E3F0570.jpeg.80767ed310b92fdb9699da4da8fde594.jpeg

C4970240-86DB-4581-8B97-58E7B0B41ECE.jpeg.a8fd6a7120d29f103f97cd4c5c27b8e4.jpeg

Now, I’m thinking “Airfix Drewery diesel” but then the “Triang Hornby” bit of the description is explained in the next photo…

951F255B-AAA3-476F-9BBF-2651E04730E9.jpeg.55652e485ac66122ddcb9221ca04af2a.jpeg

That a “Nellie” there, I wonder?

I think it has a certain charm!

HOURS OF FUN!

75249531-FE31-4D74-8239-85C361AD445E.jpeg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I’ve done screen shots of the photos if you don’t actually fancy visiting eBay and bidding on it…

To be fair this is what I generally recommend people do anyway.
And yes, this does have a lot of charm. I've got half a mind to put money down on it myself!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Now, this just turned up on eBay…

Triang Hornby Diesel Shunter (Tramway Conversion)

F7BC9552-BCD8-4C51-936C-2653F6352415.jpeg.8af1da7f2a0d1d21a20ac8ebb82b5438.jpeg

5B3690F4-50AA-408F-8043-3C281E3F0570.jpeg.80767ed310b92fdb9699da4da8fde594.jpeg

Now, I’m thinking “Airfix Drewery diesel” but then the “Triang Hornby” bit of the description is explained in the next photo…

951F255B-AAA3-476F-9BBF-2651E04730E9.jpeg.55652e485ac66122ddcb9221ca04af2a.jpeg

That a “Nellie” there, I wonder?

I think it has a certain charm!

HOURS OF FUN!

75249531-FE31-4D74-8239-85C361AD445E.jpeg

Many's the time i have done this myself in the early days, and double cab!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IMG_1796.jpg.aecfd706c723f66441a6f8f28dc19695.jpgIMG_1797.jpg.71256700e9faa3d45cc38b30a4f9d74c.jpgIMG_1794.jpg.7b9c924cc29e14ffaf4737761fbfc4fc.jpg

Cyclops has been given a Hornby 101 chassis with the rear, front including cylinders, and connecting rod/piston rod cut off.  I bought this hoping to use it under a Playcraft/Jouef NB shunter, but the motor is too wide to fit inside the bonnet, so it's gone under Cyclops instead.  Current production, not a bad runner, but the wheelbase is really a bit long for this sort of thing.  The cut-off end of the conrod can be seen; it will one day be extended to be a jackshaft drive. 

Top and second picture shows the loco running light from the NCB shed to the yard; the thing at the front is not a gesture but a temporary coupling.  I've got rid of the Dokafority Deltic cab windows, and given her new buffers and an off-centre exhaust stack.  She's intended to be a representative Bagnall 180hp DM, transferred to Dimbath Deep Navigation No.1 in anticipation of working a proposed night shift.  I've also put dummy frame extensions in at the front to make the thing look a bit less naked in that area.

Third photo shows her propelling a raft of empties into no.3 road under the loader in the rain.  She's got what is to my eyes a suitable 1950s look about her with that rounded bonnet nose, and the steam-engine looking  reshaped cab windows and new chassis 'feel' more cromulent than the TC bogie frame chassis.  The NB DH will eventually have a rebuilt Nellie chassis with it's original motor.  I'm looking at Kitmaster Drewry kits to supply the jackshafts, and, relevant to the previous post, might consider trying Cyclops' or another Hornby 0-4-0 chassis under a shortened version of that loco.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 05/04/2023 at 22:02, The Johnster said:

IMG_1796.jpg.aecfd706c723f66441a6f8f28dc19695.jpgIMG_1797.jpg.71256700e9faa3d45cc38b30a4f9d74c.jpgIMG_1794.jpg.7b9c924cc29e14ffaf4737761fbfc4fc.jpg

Cyclops has been given a Hornby 101 chassis with the rear, front including cylinders, and connecting rod/piston rod cut off.  I bought this hoping to use it under a Playcraft/Jouef NB shunter, but the motor is too wide to fit inside the bonnet, so it's gone under Cyclops instead.  Current production, not a bad runner, but the wheelbase is really a bit long for this sort of thing.  The cut-off end of the conrod can be seen; it will one day be extended to be a jackshaft drive. 

Top and second picture shows the loco running light from the NCB shed to the yard; the thing at the front is not a gesture but a temporary coupling.  I've got rid of the Dokafority Deltic cab windows, and given her new buffers and an off-centre exhaust stack.  She's intended to be a representative Bagnall 180hp DM, transferred to Dimbath Deep Navigation No.1 in anticipation of working a proposed night shift.  I've also put dummy frame extensions in at the front to make the thing look a bit less naked in that area.

Third photo shows her propelling a raft of empties into no.3 road under the loader in the rain.  She's got what is to my eyes a suitable 1950s look about her with that rounded bonnet nose, and the steam-engine looking  reshaped cab windows and new chassis 'feel' more cromulent than the TC bogie frame chassis.  The NB DH will eventually have a rebuilt Nellie chassis with it's original motor.  I'm looking at Kitmaster Drewry kits to supply the jackshafts, and, relevant to the previous post, might consider trying Cyclops' or another Hornby 0-4-0 chassis under a shortened version of that loco.

Looks great, John. Nice to see the continued evolution of this little loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Looks great, John. Nice to see the continued evolution of this little loco.

Thanks RedGemAlchemist.  She's coming along nicely, isn't she?  Seen some 3D printed cab interior/control panels for this loco, which I think might be worth the effort.  I'm considering how marker lights, already picked out in red and white, the headlight, and a cab light might be arranged; there's plenty of room in there for a 3v button battery and holder/switch.  She arguably needs a rear headlamp as well for the night shift, but then of course she wouldn't be Cyclops! 

The inside frame 0-4-0 arrangement is what I consider this loco should have always had, and it lifts the model to a different level altogether IMHO.  Next stage is the jackshaft drive, and then I'll think about improving the look of the brake detail.  Some air cylinders might go well, possibly attached to piping leading to sandboxes.  She's settling in very nicely to colliery work, and looks as if she'd been there for years.  I like the slightly battered look.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...