Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The big difference is as with everything today,Bachmann want to make a killing,the lads here want to make a living.Whatever the guys at Accurascale make we will buy as they are open and honest as there company has grown,its made them more extended family to us,what is for tea Fran.

If that’s the case owners of AS are destined to never to improve their standard of living nor those of the people they employee. To suggest a new business is setup to merely make a living is bloody ridiculous, people own businesses to secure their long term financial security, not to be “living” to retirement age.

AS products are more reasonably priced but you have no idea about the margins that both Bachman and AS have to deal with. we can all assume either AS have much smaller overheads and so cost per item is leas or as the new kid on the block profit margin is smaller whilst they get a foot hold. Give it 5 years then revisit the price comparisons.

I 100% agree with your last sentance, although Bachman are starting to be more transparent, just not through this  forum.

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The big difference is as with everything today,Bachmann want to make a killing,the lads here want to make a living.

I don't think that is fair at all TBH. I (and I assume you) have no idea of any of the margins of any of the products either sell.

But, we can see Bachmanns accounts pretty easily on Companies House. You can judge for yourself if they are making a killing but from what I can see there isn't anything unreasonable going on there. Whether Kader/whoever owns them now is I don't know but that's not the fault of those over here in the UK.

Accurascale not so easy as they don't have to file full accounts in the UK by the looks of it and I don't care enough to pay to look at their Irish accounts.

6 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Whatever the guys at Accurascale make we will buy

I'll buy stuff I want. Accurascale are getting a lot of money from me this year delivering stuff I have had on order for a long time, but the stuff announced this year has been off less interest than past years. I think my total in terms of announcements from this year is 2 locos so they have definitely lost momentum with me!

I know they can't please everyone all the time though so it's not a dig at them.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Probably too much to hope for but I'd love an original 37/6 in EPS livery. Infact I'll take 2, sound fitted. An Intercity swallow 37/4 would be good too to haul the highland sleepers. And one or both of the Royal Scotsman liveried 37/4s. Oooo the possibilities with a 37, nearly endless. Certainly more than one manufacturer can produce, even making 15 variants every 18 months or so. 

I hope they don't do an Intercity Swallow 37/4, but I'd definitely buy a model of any the locos that did carry that livery. 😉

37251 please. 

Rick

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Probably too much to hope for but I'd love an original 37/6 in EPS livery. Infact I'll take 2, sound fitted. An Intercity swallow 37/4 would be good too to haul the highland sleepers. And one or both of the Royal Scotsman liveried 37/4s. Oooo the possibilities with a 37, nearly endless. Certainly more than one manufacturer can produce, even making 15 variants every 18 months or so. 

Don’t think any 37/4’s made it into swallow livery, weren’t they all 37/0’s and 37/5’s

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

13 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Don’t think any 37/4’s made it into swallow livery, weren’t they all 37/0’s and 37/5’s

Always found it bizarre seeing freight locos and dedicated ones at that, wearing intercity swallow!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Correct!

We're working through raising balance invoices for deposit orders, and audited the preorders across trade, Eu and UK outlets, which will throw up a limited number of models available to buy (less than 20 in the case of any one SKU) that we can offer - these are Batch 1 models that are due to board a ship in the next few weeks.

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-37/availability_pre-order?

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

No 37/4's received Swallow livery, although 37/0 and 37/5's did

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, McC said:

Correct!

We're working through raising balance invoices for deposit orders, and audited the preorders across trade, Eu and UK outlets, which will throw up a limited number of models available to buy (less than 20 in the case of any one SKU) that we can offer - these are Batch 1 models that are due to board a ship in the next few weeks.

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-37/availability_pre-order?

Too be sure even more may become available, as some Bachmann fans may cancel and go for more expensive versions....but each to their own ! LOL....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

We still await a WR pre TOPS centre HC either green or Blue FYE come on, I admit I really thought Bachmann would announce one today and try and steel AS thunder, role on the second run fingers crossed 🤪🤞🤞

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

I hope they don't do an Intercity Swallow 37/4, but I'd definitely buy a model of any the locos that did carry that livery. 😉

37251 please. 

Rick

2 hours ago, Alan Oliver said:

19 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

No 37/4's received Swallow livery, although 37/0 and 37/5's did

Thanks all. I assumed they'd be 37/4s as they were hauling passenger trains, but then I do recall the Mk1 BG generator vans they used, so that makes sense. Still want a 37 in swallow livery though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

fans

Maybe the key word there. Not for me but I don't think it's nice to laugh at the idea of somebody choosing a Bachmann one over an Accurascale. It's a good choice for people to have.

We still don't know what the AS one will be like so it's a bit silly to ridicule somebody for buying a good model that they can look at in a shop and make a decision on.

Don't get me wrong, I think they'll be mint but that doesn't make the Bachmann a bad model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, E100 said:

That's another clear upgrade over the Bachmann example. I don't understand why they've also gone for 37043 in the same livery. Like they could have gone for another example and they'll be some who would get both but now it's a very binary choice.

Obviously, sticking with Accurascale's example rather than paying the extra to downgrade...

Just an observation on the duplication?  Wasn't it mentioned that Bachmann started work on thier upgraded model 4 ish years ago ?  But only recently published the information on WHAT was coming (in some cases just before the imminent arrival of) So quite possibly some variants will have been well down the design/ production process when Accurascale anounced THIER models, and beyond an economical time for a change.  I've not gone back to check details from the various threads so could well be wrong though 🤓

I'm sure it well might have  been discussed, and a decision made to simply go ahead ? They will almost certainly sell anyway. 

I'm not talking about Price/ quality/ features/ availability etc, Simply about the impression being given that Bachmann are somehow playing catchup and duplicating, rather than it simply being both  manufacturers developing the same model. . Without knowledge of the Others 

Anyway, back to playing with my two Deltics ! 🤗

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Maybe the key word there. Not for me but I don't think it's nice to laugh at the idea of somebody choosing a Bachmann one over an Accurascale. It's a good choice for people to have.

We still don't know what the AS one will be like so it's a bit silly to ridicule somebody for buying a good model that they can look at in a shop and make a decision on.

Don't get me wrong, I think they'll be mint but that doesn't make the Bachmann a bad model.

Don't think anyone would dispute that A/S really delivered with their Deltic, sold out on pre orders/unseen. No reason to think that their 37 won't be just as good, again being almost sold out on pre-orders.

Personally I think Bachmann let the ball drop with their new 37/4 by continuing to use separate nose ends instead of a one piece body especially at the high RRP's.

Everyone has choices, but it's always good to laugh regardless !

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Just an observation on the duplication?  Wasn't it mentioned that Bachmann started work on thier upgraded model 4 ish years ago ?  But only recently published the information on WHAT was coming (in some cases just before the imminent arrival of) So quite possibly some variants will have been well down the design/ production process when Accurascale anounced THIER models, and beyond an economical time for a change.  I've not gone back to check details from the various threads so could well be wrong though 🤓

I'm sure it well might have  been discussed, and a decision made to simply go ahead ? They will almost certainly sell anyway. 

I'm not talking about Price/ quality/ features/ availability etc, Simply about the impression being given that Bachmann are somehow playing catchup and duplicating, rather than it simply being both  manufacturers developing the same model. . Without knowledge of the Others 

Anyway, back to playing with my two Deltics ! 🤗

Yes, but Accurascale’s announcement was November 2019. Bachman have continued with their version of 043 for another near three years with that knowledge. I’d be very surprised if Bachmann were that advanced in their timeline that they couldn’t have done something about it. Anyway, we are where we are…

• Agree 9

Just now, tractor_37260 said:

Don't think anyone would dispute that A/S really delivered with their Deltic, sold out on pre orders/unseen.

That depends. A lot of locos had issues in one way or another. Mine had a bit or two dropped off, scuffs on the headlights and a chain off. Not massive issues, and definitely not worth returning, but as I have already said on this thread I don't think I have had a Bachmann loco get to me like that. To some people having it arrive perfect will be worth the extra 20 or so percent.

Accurascale are very good, but not perfect. Neither are Bachmann.

4 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Personally I think Bachmann let the ball drop with their new 37/4 by continuing to use separate nose ends instead of a one piece body especially at the high RRP's.

Until we see the AS ones that remains to be seen. Bachmann don't have a separate component at the windscreens which may or may not be more obvious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, IRC said:

Yes, but Accurascale’s announcement was November 2019. Bachman have continued with their version of 043 for another near three years with that knowledge. I’d be very surprised if Bachmann were that advanced in their timeline that they couldn’t have done something about it. Anyway, we are where we are…

Indeed. Nothing saying the identity couldnt have been changed for a similar loco at any time in the last 2.5 years. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

The 37s which received Intercity Swallow livery for the IISA Inverness based sleeper pool were:

They we’re joined by a rag tag collection of other 37s and Inverness also had the RAJV class 37 pool for regional railways use.

a fascinating period

They werent all at once though.

I understand the 37/5’s were hunting a bit, giving passengers a bit of a rough ride.

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Yes, they were all there together though painted at different times.

coupling a /0 to a /5 would never be smooth as the field diverts are different

In the IISA pool dates…

37152 - March 1992 - May 1995

37221 - Apr 1992 - Oct 1995

37251 - March 1992 - March 1995

37505 - March 1993 - March 1995

37510 - Nov 1992 - May 1995

37683 - March 1993 - May 1995

37685 - June 1993 - May 1995

They didnt start at the same time, but agree they ended together, though they did continue working sleepers beyond the pool change date.

i distinctly remeber 221+251 arriving on the scene sometime before the 37/5’s did.

Edited by adb968008

A quick question for our Accurascale folk... apologies if it's been asked before...

Is the box for the 37's comparable in size to that of the deltics?

Also, are the locos about the same weight as the deltics?

Approximate size and weight may help me determine how I might put together some storage shelving, especially given the very wide range of box sizes across manufacturers and indeed within the same manufacturer.  The deltics were notably heavy and the boxes larger than expected, though very happy with them nonetheless but it made me think about future storage requirements.

Can't wait for them though - being in the country, I need a few tractors!

Thanks,

Ixion.

• Like 1