Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Markwj said:

Bit fed up with mine bogie chain came out (away from the body) tried for about an hour to get it back in but in the end the fitting came away from the chain and that's that so I lost patience and  pulled the chain off! Only I know its missing bit annoyed its happened on a brand new model. So beware of the bogie chains I guess.

Mark

One of mine was loose in the socket so a little superglue was applied.

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2023 at 10:10, JhornG201 said:

an the 1-piece NEM ploughs still be fitted with a Kadee coupling? Or are they only designed to work with a NEM tension lock?

Finally I got my couplings. Yes, No 19 is the right size. No 18 may be a bit short in tight curves. Snowplough: It doesn't properly fit on the Kadee coupling. It is rather lose. I will see if I can glue it somehow without killing the model. 

I also said I make a short video about the idle problem of the sound decoder. 

I throttle up to lets say 78mph and then slightly down to 65. The engine goes on idle, which is correct, but it stays on idle forever until I throttle a tiny bit more up. Then the engine revs up again. It should rev up automatically as soon as it has reached the lower speed of 65.

Sorry for the video quality. I hope I could explain the problem. 

And please nobody says that this is because I use a wireless controller or the Z21. Same happens with the Lenz. It's the decoder, not the controller.

And now Flickr takes half an hour to upload the video (or rather to get it checked). There is only a lonely loco on a test circle in my garage. All political correct... 

52991335388_229c27d4db_z.jpgVID20230621132908

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vecchio said:

Finally I got my couplings. Yes, No 19 is the right size. No 18 may be a bit short in tight curves. Snowplough: It doesn't properly fit on the Kadee coupling. It is rather lose. I will see if I can glue it somehow without killing the model. 

I throttle up to lets say 78mph and then slightly down to 65. The engine goes on idle, which is correct, but it stays on idle forever until I throttle a tiny bit more up. Then the engine revs up again. It should rev up automatically as soon as it has reached the lower speed of 65.

Sorry for the video quality. I hope I could explain the problem. 

And please nobody says that this is because I use a wireless controller or the Z21. Same happens with the Lenz. It's the decoder, not the controller.

And now Flickr takes half an hour to upload the video (or rather to get it checked). There is only a lonely loco on a test circle in my garage. All political correct... 

52991335388_229c27d4db_z.jpgVID20230621132908

I suspect the file may be designed that way so you can coast and only power up again when you want to. I know other files are set so it automatically throttle up again but there are arguments for both being best. I know a friend of mine hates it throttling up as it reaches the lower speed on others. On a long downgrade you don’t want it to throttle back up as it reaches a certain speed. What would be useful to know is if it has a heavy load behind if that then triggers the throttle up as the decoder detects the current increasing once it reaches the lower speed. 
Only the Accurascale folks can confirm if it was designed to require throttle up to trigger the sound. 

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I fitted the non sound ESU decoder from Accurascale tonight. Interestingly it doesn’t respond with the dip switches set for ESU decoders, but it worked fine with them set for non-ESU decoders. Also both drivers’ desks are permanently illuminated and haven’t found how to switch them off yet,

Have a wee configuration „problem“ with my sound fitted 37, which maybe the author of the sound file may be able to answer-

I have ABC braking implemented on my layout. I enable each loksound v5 for it in CV27, stopping distance in cv254. With 37051 (my first Accurascale loco) it just storms through the braking zone without slowing down even a tiny bit- as if something else in the file is disabling it. Sensivity is also set the same as my other locos that do respond to the braking sections 

@Accurascale Fran please could you ask for me?

kind regards

Matthew

Edited by se97mlm

I was confused by the dipswitches as the “as delivered” setup appeared to be none of the recommended settings and the absolute opposite to recommended for ESU decoder. I found my ESU decoder worked fine with switches as delivered and with ESU position- couldn’t see a difference. I wasn’t exploring the various light settings tho as not sure what function they are on (none of my 3 to date have info on DCC settings).  I do love them and no issues with window fitting despite earlier concerns raised here - they look the biz and run well too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was confused by the dipswitches as the “as delivered” setup appeared to be none of the recommended settings and the absolute opposite to recommended for ESU decoder. I found my ESU decoder worked fine with switches as delivered and with ESU position- couldn’t see a difference. I wasn’t exploring the various light settings tho as not sure what function they are on (none of my 3 to date have info on DCC settings).  I do love them and no issues with window fitting despite earlier concerns raised here - they look the biz and run well too.

I thought this at first, then realised the setting is the „white“ part of the switch in the manual corresponds to the white of the switch in the loco; logic makes you think „black“ in the manual is „on“, but it is in fact „off“  So the standard setup on the sound loco is as delivered is the same in the manual (for ESU decoder). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, thetrains said:

The faf of DCC

Or a circuit board optimised for DC or DCC customers instead of compromised for one where one group moan about not being the priority. 
Just be a bit glad they thought of both as worth trying to please 😉

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

I fitted the non sound ESU decoder from Accurascale tonight. Interestingly it doesn’t respond with the dip switches set for ESU decoders, but it worked fine with them set for non-ESU decoders. Also both drivers’ desks are permanently illuminated and haven’t found how to switch them off yet,

Same on mine with the drivers' desks. Reverse all of the switches and it will work properly. The diagram in the box is confusing initially - but if you read it 1 and 3 should be on, the rest off. I had mine set the other way round and had the issue. F19 works properly now to turn the drivers' desks on/off :)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Has anyone been brave enough to renumber/remove the white stripe on 37027 yet? 

Hmm, i’m ready to have a go at the number, but I made an error…

originally I ordered two, with a 37012 renumber in mind. But ive since failed to locate an image of 37012 with white stripe, and a car headlight.

This leaving me with 081 (ive got it in L/L already ), and 043 which has just been made in l/l.

014 (Line too narrow, light was centreline of the doors)

017 (Headlight in the “far north” centre top position)

039 (still had bufferbeam skirt)

111 (cant find a headlight pic).

Failing that I may do the unthinkable… upgrade my Lima 37012 to a new chassis :-) I am quite sentimental around that old Lima one.

37081 looks a candidate, have I missed any ?

Would another unnamed one work for this tooling ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Vecchio said:

My experience is that you throttle back and the revs fall, but not all the way to idle.  The revs then stay at this intermediate setting until I demand an acceleration again.  So does yours actually go to idle?  I suggest you try moving the throttle from max to say 50%, note the sound; then go from max to zero and compare the sound.  Only at zero do I hear an idle setting.  Sure there's no increase in revs once the loco reaches an intermediate speed setting, but it certainly doesn't drop to idle unless I throttle back to zero.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

The engine sound goes to idle. This is fine, until the loco lost speed down to that particular throttle setting. But the sound stays idle until I throttle up. A little bit (like 2 steps) is enough, and the engine runs as it should. 

And as I said earlier, I have the same behaviour also at a continental steam loco using also a loksound 5 decoder. As PaulRhB mentioned further up - if you have a layout with a gradient going down - this is fine. But as we all have space restrictions the long downhill gradients are not easy to have. 

Probably I am a bit picky, but as others are looking at minor details not to say nit-picking, for me this is a bit of a problem.

No fear Accurascale people, I have another 2 class 37 on order...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Hmm, i’m ready to have a go at the number, but I made an error…

originally I ordered two, with a 37012 renumber in mind. But ive since failed to locate an image of 37012 with white stripe, and a car headlight.

This leaving me with 081 (ive got it in L/L already ), and 043 which has just been made in l/l.

014 (Line too narrow, light was centreline of the doors)

017 (Headlight in the “far north” centre top position)

039 (still had bufferbeam skirt)

111 (cant find a headlight pic).

Failing that I may do the unthinkable… upgrade my Lima 37012 to a new chassis :-) I am quite sentimental around that old Lima one.

37081 looks a candidate, have I missed any ?

Would another unnamed one work for this tooling ?

There are photos of 012 in large logo without headlight which I think I recall  researching whether the original Baccy LL version was prototypical with out headlight. I concluded it was and ran for a few months like that before getting its headlight. Which basically must equate to it didn’t have a headlight at any point whilst in blue (with or without white stripe).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vecchio said:

The engine sound goes to idle. This is fine, until the loco lost speed down to that particular throttle setting. But the sound stays idle until I throttle up. A little bit (like 2 steps) is enough, and the engine runs as it should. 

And as I said earlier, I have the same behaviour also at a continental steam loco using also a loksound 5 decoder. As PaulRhB mentioned further up - if you have a layout with a gradient going down - this is fine. But as we all have space restrictions the long downhill gradients are not easy to have. 

Probably I am a bit picky, but as others are looking at minor details not to say nit-picking, for me this is a bit of a problem.

No fear Accurascale people, I have another 2 class 37 on order...

Interesting that we're both looking at the same loco/decoder but are witnessing different results.  I have no explanation of that.  I'll do a video for comparison when I can find the time, which won't be until Friday at the earliest.  Like you said, it's a small thing in the overall scheme of things, but still worth a bit of prodding 😂

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, georgeds said:

Same on mine with the drivers' desks. Reverse all of the switches and it will work properly. The diagram in the box is confusing initially - but if you read it 1 and 3 should be on, the rest off. I had mine set the other way round and had the issue. F19 works properly now to turn the drivers' desks on/off :)

I’d had them set correctly first time round but got no response from the decoder. However the decoder wasn’t fully pressed home and that was the problem. It’s a very snug fit between the jumper sockets and now it is in properly it is working correctly. 

Many thanks for the info that helped get me there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BR(S) said:

One 37423 Spirit of the Lakes in DRS livery available at TMC if anyone missed out, £169.99:

https://www.themodelcentre.com/acc231737423

Thanks for that. I just got back from a walk and lunch with SWMBO, logged back into my computer and spotted your post. I am now £165 poorer (price less VAT but plus tracked international postage). If my wife complains, I'll just point her in your direction! (She won't really, she encourages me). 😅😅

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

37081 looks a candidate

081 had RSH cantrail grilles , only ones really that can be done are 022 (I have transfers en route to do this one) , if you remove the stripe 036 and 037 (321) are doable , there's also 033 but to me that appears to have the headlight nearer to the centre line of the doors

Edited by sulzer71

48 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

081 had RSH cantrail grilles , only ones really that can be done are 022 (I have transfers en route to do this one) , if you remove the stripe 036 and 037 (321) are doable , there's also 033 but to me that appears to have the headlight nearer to the centre line of the doors

My two extras are going to be 022 & 033. I decided that the chances of them altering the headlight such a small amount was unlikely and 033 with small number has always been a favorite so I can cope :) I did have two Bachmann models and transfers for these two locos but I've decided that the Accurascale model is superior 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

My two extras are going to be 022 & 033. I decided that the chances of them altering the headlight such a small amount was unlikely and 033 with small number has always been a favorite so I can cope :) I did have two Bachmann models and transfers for these two locos but I've decided that the Accurascale model is superior 

Unlike most of the Eastfield 37s, 022 and 033 retained round buffers even after they had the buffer beam cut away, so if you're renumbering the 027 model you may also want to change the buffers.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, sto243 said:

Unlike most of the Eastfield 37s, 022 and 033 retained round buffers even after they had the buffer beam cut away, so if you're renumbering the 027 model you may also want to change the buffers.

Damn it ! Never even noticed that on 022 , will have to have a look see if I have any suitable round buffers in my spares box or contemplate a complete respray maybe into large logo and keep it as 027

• Like 1