LNER HST Farewell Tour, Blue/Yellow HST, December 18th to 21st,

15 hours ago, 47513 said:

Just mocking the ignorance of the quoted comment. 

So I am ignorant am I?

The mileage this railtour(s) is are doing could easily be done in a day hence my post, or are you saying I am wrong?

37 minutes ago, russ p said:

Has anyone any idea what's happening to this set after the charter?  I thought it was going to LSL but apparently not 

People who think they know what they are talking about have all stated their opinion that it is going to LSL although there hasnt been anything from LSL themselves.

I suppose they are quite happy for the know all/know nothing but have an opinion* to post to their hearts content.

* delete as applicable.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, royaloak said:

People who think they know what they are talking about have all stated their opinion that it is going to LSL although there hasnt been anything from LSL themselves.

I suppose they are quite happy for the know all/know nothing but have an opinion* to post to their hearts content.

* delete as applicable.

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Spoke to mate at LSL and he says not . I thought LSL were having a full first class set

That's the issue. There has been a lot of rumour and conjecture stating that it is going to LSL afterwards. But, there's a number of already known facts that rule this out. LSL were in talks with Porterbrook for a set, this is an Angel leased set with Angel Power Cars. Also, LSLs plans so far largely consist of Trailer Firsts and Restaurant Buffets as apposed to a rake mostly formed of Trailer Standards, aimed more at the luxury dining market than day to day rail tours. 

It'll all be clearer no doubt over the coming few weeks. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’d say that this set has a future because doing the full repaint and exam doesn’t come cheap.  If it was just a one off effort, I’m sure LNER would have just wrapped the power cars in vinyls and left the trailers as is.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’d say that this set has a future because doing the full repaint and exam doesn’t come cheap.  If it was just a one off effort, I’m sure LNER would have just wrapped the power cars in vinyls and left the trailers as is.

Citation needed, there are many examples of freshly painted coaches going off lease (at least 3 buffets arrived back at Laira after having body overhauls and repaints but went straight into store, never being used in service), several Porterbrook power cars had F or G exams and went straight into store afterwards, the only 'service' they did was a post overhaul test run.

Tgen there is the fact the repaint can be set aside against the tax return so effectively cost nothing.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bigP said:

Hmm, that’s an interesting set-up there...

2+7 formation,  253003 set number and W43006 on the cab side.

Maybe we shall be seeing her back home on the Western then?

Paul

Yes, there’s some comment about that on Twitter too. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

Citation needed, there are many examples of freshly painted coaches going off lease (at least 3 buffets arrived back at Laira after having body overhauls and repaints but went straight into store, never being used in service), several Porterbrook power cars had F or G exams and went straight into store afterwards, the only 'service' they did was a post overhaul test run.

Tgen there is the fact the repaint can be set aside against the tax return so effectively cost nothing.

It was just an opinion and not gospel but remember that all TOC’s have to return their vehicles in working order unless they get permission to return them “as is”.  Because of this, loose buffet and power cars being overhauled and then put into store isn’t much of a surprise.

41 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

It was just an opinion and not gospel but remember that all TOC’s have to return their vehicles in working order unless they get permission to return them “as is”.  Because of this, loose buffet and power cars being overhauled and then put into store isn’t much of a surprise.

But every 'set' is just 2 power cars and 7, 8 or 9 loose coaches isnt it.

Lets suppose that LSL ARE taking some of this set on, they could take both power cars, both 1ST Class coaches, one or two of the Standards and the Buffet plus a few more 1ST class coaches and another Buffet to make up their rake, they would then only need to pay for the extra coaches to be painted.

I am not saying that is the case but it is one of many possibilities.

• RMweb Gold

A little promo video on Twitter from LNER about the repainting of the power cars at Craigentinny for the farewell tour. 

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1207004694834487296?s=20

and the set arriving in Edinburgh today for Day 1.

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1207230469793816576?s=20

Edited by 4630
to add link to second video.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, bigP said:

Hmm, that’s an interesting set-up there...

2+7 formation,  253003 set number and W43006 on the cab side.

Maybe we shall be seeing her back home on the Western then?

Paul

She's 254 something at the back , but I agree looks like a Western tour may be possible at some stage . She looks good , but having seen them introduced 40 years ago , I now feel old

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was at Peterborough railway station today, talking to a LNER driver and he told me that the “word on the street” that the set is heading towards East Midlands Railway.  I’m not so sure but I’d like to think that set will be around for awhile yet.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I was at Peterborough railway station today, talking to a LNER driver and he told me that the “word on the street” that the set is heading towards East Midlands Railway.  I’m not so sure but I’d like to think that set will be around for awhile yet.

They will HAVE to do something to the doors if thats true - contrasting coloured doors is MANDATORY for all National Rail passenger operations courtesy of the DDA legislation.

So you have to ask why paint it in a non compliment scheme (rather than a modified one like the Southern 313 unit) if the set is intended for re-use on the MML

looks nicer... and surely repainting doors isn't that hard to do...?? And that assuming that the livery won't be wholly replaced as it is... either way, I'm looking forward to getting soaked tomo as I'm heading up to Yorkshire to see her in real life! :)

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

They will HAVE to do something to the doors if thats true - contrasting coloured doors is MANDATORY for all National Rail passenger operations courtesy of the DDA legislation.

So you have to ask why paint it in a non compliment scheme (rather than a modified one like the Southern 313 unit) if the set is intended for re-use on the MML

I didn’t ask the logic behind what he said and there are loads of rumours flying about, that’s why I said I wasn’t so sure.  I’d like to think that whoever gets it next will “make hay while the sun shines” and put it into good use, rather it goes into storage.

If it does go to EMR, they could just vinyl wrap the doors a contrasting colour and not spoil the paint work underneath.

Edited by jools1959

10 hours ago, Trev52A said:

I'm a bit surprised no pics have appeared yet of the train running - we've had two days of it so far!

I hope to get some on Tyneside tomorrow but I think the weather might be against me!

Cheers

Trevor

Plenty on Flickr and videos on YouTube.

• Like 1

Just been sent some pics from my dad who was in York this aft, looks superb. Jealous as im stuck in my office and not sure if i can make it to Leeds tomorrow...

Lots of great pics out on the web already, seen a vid of it coming south through the snow in Scotland, lovely!

Cheers

James