Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Back home and tried to remove the building but its glued on too well to get it off the board without causing damage, so despite finding an N scale dog that would pass as a small dog, there wont be one in the window for this weekend.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Early this morning I fabricated the lights along the roadside and painted thrm. Lunchtime they were fitted to the board and photos taken. I was going to an open area nearby to take photos with a treeline backdrop but the weather isn't favourable. Plus the printer kept saying wrong size paper despite selecting A4 and only A 4 in the printer. Finally I unplugged  the printer then restarted it and walks OK now.

So for now the printout has been cut to shape and mounted on the backscene.

I will get better photos of the layout once set up at the Nailsea show. This photo was taken with the boards boxed up on their ends hence a bit dark and out of focus.

20230323_153046-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

We had a good run along the M4 and M5 yesterday and checked in to our accommodation in Clevedon before going for a wander around this town that I lived in when I was only 3 years old, so I don't remember much but do recognise where Mum used to take us to the park next to the estuary and I also recollect where the railings were by the station which is all long gone now but was still open when we lived here. 

This morning we will be setting up the layout at the Nailsea show. Come say hello if you are visiting the show.

• Like 4

It was great to see Blackmoor Gate this afternoon, as part of a very enjoyable show at Nailsea.

I thought it very nicely done, and  with a good atmosphere.

I should have introduced myself properly - we had a chat about the proposed route

of the 'new' line amongst other things.

cheers  

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Kevin

Thanks and good to talk although quite a few people did ask about that especially today.

Pleased with how the layout ran over the weekend. However htis morning before the show opened I decided to adjust the signals but ended up with one home signal pulling off when switched to pull on and the other home signal not working at all. Luckily the two platform startersstill  worked correctly. My own fault for not doing the adjustments at home, so thats a task before the next outing.

The rerailing area in the fiddleyard worked very well today, so another will be added to the other end of the fiddleyard tracks.

LEW did play up with it slipping a gear every so often, so I will need to strip the loco down and sort it properly. A shame as thats one of the two sound fitted locos.

Thankyou to the Nailsea club for inviting us and putting on a good show. It certainly appeared to be well attended.

We had a good run home along the M5/4/and M25.  I will post more photos tomorrow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I gather that the deep underground section is quite a few years behind schedule.

Yes... not as much progress as they had hoped for and very overbudget.

Baz

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos from the weekend.

Lyn departs the station heading for Lynton with the hotel and petrol station beyond the road bridge.

20230325_161723.jpg.e47365a9fbfd69cac4f1ccd14aa0496e.jpg

I have been posting on FB and a friend keeps saying that I need to weather the roof. It is weatherd but doiesnt really show up in the photos probably because i am using my mobile to take them rather than the DSLR, so I took a close up that does show it a bit better.

20230326_125711.jpg.6d966bffe1214fcc432eff2316758093.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, GWRPhil said:

The layout is excellent. Looking really good. so sorry couldn't be there over the weekend

Hopefully, see you in a few weeks time at Thornbury. I must start checking Dobris over now that Blackmoor is safely back in its storage location.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Hopefully, see you in a few weeks time at Thornbury. I must start checking Dobris over now that Blackmoor is safely back in its storage location.

Really looking forward to a few weeks time. Will be good to see you and dobris. 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2023 at 08:29, roundhouse said:

My other half has been keen to get one of the Bachmann quarry Hunslets. She particularly likes the one in red, ' Alice'. SO she couldnt resist getting it when the Lord and Butler stand had one on display.

As the layout is DCC the only way we could give it a run yesterday was as a load. I am now tasked with getting a sutiable tiny decoder and the crew have been ordered from Modelu.

20230326_125159.jpg.017860ef069162054936e2c07d0ede42.jpg

My ' Britomart' that she persuaded me to buy at Warley last year has been fitted with a decoder obtained from Tramfabreik with crew from Modelu.

It had a run yesterday before the show opened then again in the last 40 minutes of the show when it was quiet.

20230326_095822.jpg.f5b0f54505b09ddf76c98ed870eb6bca.jpg

And finally this shot shows the newly installed rerailing area in the fiddleyard. Once I had tweeked in on Saturday morning it worked very well.

20230325_165335.jpg.f5bc9a002d0a20d205f6f8b6f520fdcb.jpg

Was great to see this layout at the weekend. My daughter also seemed to be fond of all the sounds! 

The manning wardle is one locomotive we don't currently have a custom crew for in 009...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Modelu Chris said:

Was great to see this layout at the weekend. My daughter also seemed to be fond of all the sounds! 

The manning wardle is one locomotive we don't currently have a custom crew for in 009...  

Thanks

I have used some of your other generic crew for my Manning and Wardle locos. Two of the locos have one legged figures. They had to be cut to fit around the sugar cube speaker but at least the resin is very easy cut.

The red  quarry Hunslet will have your loco sf specific crew which are on order.

I will be replacing the very thin sheep on the bridge with Modelu ones in the future.

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 - circa 1930 -some tweeking after Nailsea show, next show is Bexhill in August
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Looking forward to seeing Dobris. I didn't see a Czech railway in the very short time I was there a few years back but I've just looked at the thread and was immediately reminded of country station we saw in Slovenia which is not so far away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2023 at 15:41, TrevorP1 said:

Looking forward to seeing Dobris. I didn't see a Czech railway in the very short time I was there a few years back but I've just looked at the thread and was immediately reminded of country station we saw in Slovenia which is not so far away.

The railways there are facinating. We have been visiting since 2005. There is one narrow gauge line left. The other bigger privately run system closed last October unfortunately.

A few more photos talken at the weekend.

The coaches are sitting in the platform whilst 760 shunts te goods yard. All trains were booked to be mixed, no doubt why the journey took over 90 minutes .

20230326_154353.jpg

20230326_154402.jpg

20230326_154426.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Looking at these latest images, I'm reminded of the quality of your model making.

However, equally (or perhaps more so), what really sets your photos apart is the lighting employed.

When taking images there is no substitute for good light (good and bright obviously are not the same thing) and the light here is very good.

Best

Scott.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Looking at these latest images, I'm reminded of the quality of your model making.

However, equally (or perhaps more so), what really sets your photos apart is the lighting employed.

When taking images there is no substitute for good light (good and bright obviously are not the same thing) and the light here is very good.

Best

Scott.

Thanks for your comments.

The hall lights were quite good but the pelmet uses small florescent tubes. I suspect that when they fail And my spares are used up that I will have to change to LEDs. Luckily with various different types of LEDs I am sure that I can improve the lighting. The pelmet was built back in 2005 and has served well on various layouts.

Currently doing a few repairs to them as they got leaned against a fence badly whilst loading the car on Sunday and fell over.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am very mindful that with no spares available for the Heljan Manning and Wardle locos and with numerous future shows that we could run out of locos, so with finding these locos on sale at the Bristol show for £99 I couldn't resist picking up another one.

It now has decoder fitted and set to a fictional number of 758 so is ready for back up use at the Bexhill show in August.

20230430_095158.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 - circa 1930 - next show is Bexhill in August
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The back up version of Exe has had a really good run on the High Line test circuit and as I have run out of Greenwich couplers I have modified the supplied plastic couplings so that they clear the cow catchers. It's now just awaiting the Modelu crew.

Whilst searching for detail parts, I found a DC Models MG white metal kit that I believe came from our late friend Graham when we cleared his modelling bits back in 2015/16. I think it's early 1930's  so probably a little modern for the September 1930 the late represents but I think we csn allow a little bit of leway in memory of our friend who was an avid 009 modeller.

It still requires the chrome trimmings adding.

20230613_073341.jpg

• Like 8