Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

As has been stated elsewhere, trying to compare images of something from different angles can lead to misconceptions of shape positioning etc. Something I have a lot of experience with in my job.

Difficulties dont mean it cant be done though, I often have to weigh up picture and proportion and we all have different degrees of accuracy in perception. Whilst Alistair's pic isnt the best comparison, from Ozzy's shot (which still isnt the same angle), I'm happy enough that the model isnt right

Thank you for proving my point Ozzy.

Ah, that's what it did, did it :)

Like I said, some of us have better perception than others - maybe Alistair's is even better than yours and mine. Maybe he has other photos too :secret_mini:

I disagree - to me, the model looks fine, but the prototype looks wrong...

OK. then the red plastic is right and the blue metal thing is wrong.

:laugh:.

OzzyO.

I hope you realise I was only being mischievous!

But then again, if only the prototypes looked plasticky and unrealistic, then I, for one, would find them much easier to model.

I hope you realise I was only being mischievous!

But then again, if only the prototypes looked plasticky and unrealistic, then I, for one, would find them much easier to model.

Please see my reply. But I like to wok in metal.

:drinks:

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

Please see my reply. But I like to wok in metal.

:drinks:

OzzyO.

I prefer metal woks too. I find plastic ones tend to melt when I'm doing stir fries in them ;)

Where's my coat?

A few images of the front and side cab windows.

I wouldn't say anything was conclusive without measuring both the model and prototype but it may give some clarity on the issue that the side window to cab window placement is not correct, particularly the view through the front windscreen where the height of the side windows can certainly be seen to be less than one third the depth of the windscreen whereas the model certainly looks to be greater than one third of the way down.

76a.jpg

76b.jpg

76d.jpg

Above image reproduced in Accordance with the Creative Commons Licence as displayed on Wikipedia and Photographer - A.M.Hurrell

I accept that the riveted windscreen surrounds may be as per 26020 at the NRM but not as per other examples which do appear to have smooth surrounds; I'd need to look in more detail across more reference material.

76c.jpg

One of my concerns relates to the bodyside curvature which is shown below in cross section but no photos I've yet seen really do illustrate it sufficiently well for me. Time will tell.

I accept that the riveted windscreen surrounds may be as per 26020 at the NRM but not as per other examples which do appear to have smooth surrounds; I'd need to look in more detail across more reference material.

76e.jpg

Click for cruel close-up

No; I'm wrong. The right hand windscreen surround is screwed, the left hand one is smooth or the screwheads have been filled. 26020 at the NRM has screwed surrounds which are either capped or smaller rivets than the cab front metalwork. Image link.

Only a minor point but one that affects the face of the loco....

From the shots of the model, it seems that they've gone for the straight windscreen wiper, fitted on the drivers window in AndyY's post. This appeared to be fitted towards the end of the loco's lives, whereas the wiper with the curve (secondmans side, above) was original equipment and is more "class 76" to me.

From memory, 26020 has the curved wiper too.

As I say, a minor point but one that makes a difference.

A few images of the front and side cab windows...

Annoyingly, I was in Manchester for the first time in ages the other week, spent most of one day in and around Castlefields, including the MOSI, and yet somehow failed to take even one photo in the museum itself! So no help from me, as usual.

Some good clear shots there, though, which should help the discusion quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

nice pic of a blue 76 with small yellow warning panel..

http://www.whamart.co.uk/101%202605_%2026045_%2026050%20Reddish%2030%20June%201968.jpg

Is it Rail Blue...? Looks like a recent depot repaint from the dirty bogies and streaks down the body from the pantograph wells, but considering how blue reproduces on film and fades over time, I'd say it was the earlier shade that Crewe used that was neither chromatic or rail blue.

But if it is, would a depot have repainted just the electric blue or green bits and kept the small warning panels...?

Is it Rail Blue...? Looks like a recent depot repaint from the dirty bogies and streaks down the body from the pantograph wells, but considering how blue reproduces on film and fades over time, I'd say it was the earlier shade that Crewe used that was neither chromatic or rail blue.

But if it is, would a depot have repainted just the electric blue or green bits and kept the small warning panels...?

I can't answer your question, but when you look between the two other 76s you can see another one in blue and it looks very close to rail blue to me. IIRC most of the work on the 76s was done at Reddish shed where the photo was taken.

OzzyO.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived