The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

so which team do you want to produce yours? I think merc, but am worried about it overheating???

I'd go with Merc for reliability, just keep moving and you should be fine. :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

So now the 2021 cars will use 2020 chassis, but costs in 2021 will be still be capped. A fast-moving game considering no 2020 car has turned a wheel in anger, except in Barcelona. But it does impose something new. The now-2022 regs are a major change, and the teams were gonna invest big time in uncapped 2020, to get the then-2021 cars ready - which they still can. But in 2021, when they will be ramping up 2022 development, using lessons learned in 2020, but applicable to the new regs, they will be capped. The 2022 cars will have a long gestation, it seems. 

• Like 4

Just read that both Toto Wolff and Lawrence Stroll did not attend the "heated" meeting regarding the rest of the season. They flew back from Australia together - and the suggestion is that Wolff may become CEO of Aston Martin - which was followed by "will Lewis Hamilton remain at Mercedes"?  Personally I think it would be utter madness for LH to go to Ferrari - but that's just my view.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Just read that both Toto Wolff and Lawrence Stroll did not attend the "heated" meeting regarding the rest of the season. They flew back from Australia together - and the suggestion is that Wolff may become CEO of Aston Martin - which was followed by "will Lewis Hamilton remain at Mercedes"?  Personally I think it would be utter madness for LH to go to Ferrari - but that's just my view.

Your dead right about Lewis, I hope he doesn't go to Ferrari, BUT, can you see him in an Aston Martin with Toto at the Helm?

I'm not sure but Driving for a British Marque would have a nice ring to it, even if the Power Unit was made by Merc.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Your dead right about Lewis, I hope he doesn't go to Ferrari, BUT, can you see him in an Aston Martin with Toto at the Helm?

I'm not sure but Driving for a British Marque would have a nice ring to it, even if the Power Unit was made by Merc.

It would be funny to watch the shenanigans over who gets the best engineers etc when the current incumbents daddy owns the team but the wouldbe team manager has a soft spot for the other driver. Yes much more interesting than him going to Ferrari...besides I would like Ricciardo there with Charles.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

There is a lot more knowledge within the sport than is made public.

A friend at Red Bull told me back in 2008 that the future looked exciting for them, but this was not apparent until 2010 when Vettel won the first of his 4 consecutive titles.

Likewise when Hamilton signed for Mercedes, they were not a winning team. He signed for them for the last season of NA V10s, when they were ok but not the best. Public reaction ranged from 'why did he do that' the 'he knows something we don't'.

His move started public rumours that they had a good hybrid in development, which proved to be true.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

There is a lot more knowledge within the sport than is made public.

A friend at Red Bull told me back in 2008 that the future looked exciting for them, but this was not apparent until 2010 when Vettel won the first of his 4 consecutive titles.

Likewise when Hamilton signed for Mercedes, they were not a winning team. He signed for them for the last season of NA V10s, when they were ok but not the best. Public reaction ranged from 'why did he do that' the 'he knows something we don't'.

His move started public rumours that they had a good hybrid in development, which proved to be true.

I have to admit, I thought his move was mad at the time, just shows what I know.:secret:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I have to admit, I thought his move was mad at the time, just shows what I know.:secret:

As far as I remember, Ross Brawn visited Lewis Hamilton and shared with him some of what MB were up to, RB having been running the Brawn team up until then and it was being folded. He was absolutely right about the potential and so was LH in deciding to switch from Mclaren, where he was not really enjoying his career alongside Señor Alonso.

• Agree 2

On 13/03/2020 at 13:48, Chrisr40 said:

Off the wall suggestion but why not have an e-sports 2020 F1 championship where the current drivers compete on all the circuits in a virtual environment. Also a very easy way to level the car performance advantages / disadvantages. Juan Pablo Montoya recently won a major event so obviously real world skills translate pretty well.

Personally I would love to see the likes of George Russell able to trade blows with the top teams - lets face it the sound is nothing like it used to be so why not be a bit radical ?

You could even charge people pay per view ?

Chris

Good call Chris!

Similar happening in Spanish footie:

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/03/19/entire-spanish-football-league-including-barcelona-and-real-madrid-are-going-to-play-each-other-in-fifa

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kingzance said:

As far as I remember, Ross Brawn visited Lewis Hamilton and shared with him some of what MB were up to, RB having been running the Brawn team up until then and it was being folded. He was absolutely right about the potential and so was LH in deciding to switch from Mclaren, where he was not really enjoying his career alongside Señor Alonso.

Except that Senor Alonso had left McLaren some years previously - Jenson Button was Lewis's teammate for his last three years at Mac.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Slightly off topic, but I don't know how many of you watch your F1 on SKY?  Due to the current world crisis you can "pause" the Sport element of your SKY package until normal service is resumed. The channels are still there and running, but you will not be charged for them. This "can" reduce your monthly payment quite substantially.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Then have it banned and end up behind you again... ;)

queue some Pink Floyd lyrics - racing around to come up behind you again - as I first read your post Hobby.

• Funny 2

On 20/03/2020 at 19:09, RJS1977 said:

Except that Senor Alonso had left McLaren some years previously - Jenson Button was Lewis's teammate for his last three years at Mac.

Such that they appeared together in Scalextric sets and the Tooned series, now on YouTube*.

*Embedded YouTube link disallowed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/03/2020 at 14:50, 57xx said:

With no racing going on, the teams are focusing on more pressing issues - helping with ventilator production.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51963897

I now have a vision of the medics descending on ventilating patients like a F1 pit crew, accompanied by a manic (Murray Walker to show my age) commentary, "Bedpan in and out, Old catheters off, New ones on, oh, they can't find the vein" (*not strictly medically accurate).

To be fair, having witnessed some interventions in A&E, it's not far from the truth.

JH

Edited by John Harris
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1