The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I still think we will eventually resort to that most abundant of elements - hydrogen. Whether this is as a direct fuel or as a wider method of storing energy remains to be seen. We have covered it on this thread before.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Two more Haas Team test positive for Coronavirus.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28888215/undefined

Just to be pedantic, they have been tested for, but not diagnosed with. Results will probably not be given until after the race... As Lewis has intimated

Cash is KIng etc

• Agree 5

17 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Just to be pedantic, they have been tested for, but not diagnosed with. Results will probably not be given until after the race... As Lewis has intimated

Cash is KIng etc

Your right Ian, my miss wording there, thanks for correcting me and enlightening others.:good:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Modern batteries are not very heavy, in fact their light weight is encouraging the current (no pun intended) interest in electric vehicles. Lithium batteries are so light that some electric buses carry them on the roof and still pass the tilt test.

Lighter than older lead/acid technology but heavy in comparison with the equivalent energy in liquid fuels (ie even taking into account the inefficient energy conversion of petrol/diesel).

Explained here .

This discussion would be better in this thread , especially as P1 is now less than 24 hours away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

This discussion would be better in this thread , especially as P1 is now less than 24 hours away.

Or it's own thread so the discussion doesn't get swamped by virtue signalling. :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Phaeton said:

Does not the fact you have highlighted it as virtue signalling make your response virtue signalling?

I have no virtues. :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, njee20 said:

Seems a shame. I assume the guy is there already. Remove him, fine, but unless it's Norris or Sainz why withdraw from the race?

Probably because they’ve all had close contact with the person on the plane and paddock. If they have they effectively have to quarantine the team. 

• Agree 5

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Vietnam now under treat, just as I thought it would be.

Will the Drivers be brave enough to pull the Plug as Seb has suggested they could do?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/

I think its a bit late on any of the drivers part to be saying they are shocked etc at this stage with FP1 so close - the situation regards the virus in that hemisphere has been known for enough time for the GPDA to have convened and said no we are not going to travel due to risks to the team personnel etc and ultimately the drivers.  Sadly I think the lure of potentially easy points/a surprise result -  especially if some of the competition wasn't there was has driven them. Throwing Liberty under the bus as cash hungry only is a bit rich - I do not rate F1's owners but no one put the drivers arms up their backs to get on the plane to Australia.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Did not Ross Brawn say that if all teams weren't on the grid the race couldn't be run? Said in respect of Ferrari, but now we'll see how equally important McLaren are - or are not. 

I read that as "if a team is prevented from entering the race as they have been denied entry to the country" they will not run the race, as that statement was issued at the time it was thought that the Italian squads would be banned from entering Australia by the Govt.

This is McLaren themselves deciding not to enter so whether that statement will be factored into the decision, I don't know. :wacko:

• Agree 5

I thought Ross Brawn said that if a team is prevented from entering a country by its Corona virus policy then the race wouldn't go ahead. For example Italian based teams being prevented. It wouldn't be sporting to carry on. If however a team withdrew as McLaren has then that was their decision and the race would go ahead

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, didcot said:

I thought Ross Brawn said that if a team is prevented from entering a country by its Corona virus policy then the race wouldn't go ahead. For example Italian based teams being prevented. It wouldn't be sporting to carry on. If however a team withdrew as McLaren has then that was their decision and the race would go ahead

Correct.

“If a team of their own volition does not drive to a race, then of course that is the decision.”

“If a team is prevented from coming to a race because that is how a country decides, it is difficult to hold a fair competition.”

• Like 1