The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I think the race may be pulled before Sunday.

Unlikely (though not an impossibility if the State intervenes) at this stage I'd've thought. The ramifications of a late in the day cancellation when most of the pieces are in place to hold the event would be difficult to contemplate. 

It wouldn't surprise me however, even if pre virus ticket sales were high, the stands might be noticibly lacking punters for this and following race weekends.

C6T. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Latest from Oz. Looking like it's cancelled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51849163

Is it too late to cancel though?

All the teams will already be there. If they have any chance of infecting each other, they will have already done so.

Many spectators camp over for the 3 days, These will have already arrived a few hours ago & quite likely got drunk together.

I feel they should have cancelled earlier or not at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Its not a mild cold or flu .

No, it is a different strain of virus.

Today's media seems to be so full of bias & scaremongering that a comparison with flu is not possible at this time.

It could well be far less deadly than flu. This is uncertain right now.

• Agree 1

Indy Car suffering as well - "St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman announces he is cancelling general admission to the 2020 Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. He says an announcement on the ultimate fate of the race will come Thursday afternoon". 

• Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, ianwales said:

Why all  because 1 person tested positive why spoil it for everyone else, 

We're doomed. Doomed I tell you.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I am delighted that this sensible decision has been taken. I also revel in the prospect that the teams made the decision. They, not the FIA or F1, are the paying soul of the whole shebang, and should have considerably more say in What Goes On. The timing of this, hot on the heels of the Ferrari 2019 engine scandal, is gonna rock FIA to its foundations - and not a moment too soon. Todt and others for the chop, their sinecure exposed. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Not wishing to over dramatise the situation, but I think the whole season may be in jeopardy.  According to the PM and his two medical cohorts, this could all peak in the UK in about fourteen weeks time - that should  just coincide with the British GP.  Hopefully  it will go as quickly as it arrived - but I fear not. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I am delighted that this sensible decision has been taken. I also revel in the prospect that the teams made the decision.

Although only a "majority" of the teams, a minority wanted to carry on as normal. Shades of Indy again?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is pure chaos! 

Using Twitter, I've been following Chris Medland and various other verified and respected F1 journos who are on the ground.

Current reports indicate that teams voted 5-5 each way as whether they are to race. It's also been reported Aussie politicians and the promoters are saying that it'll go ahead with no fans, the teams are heading to the track and the mechanics that have been asked to comment have not been told either way so are preparing the cars. The Aussie support series (TCR cars and SF5000 racing series to name two) are all publicising that they're racing. To top it all of, there are credible reports that Kimi and Seb have flown back to Europe overnight!

The thing that's missing? An official statement either way from either F1, the FIA or even the Australian Government...

USA 2005 2.0 anyone?

(Just wanna say, obviously none of this information is verified, it's more to show the absolute chaos that's unfolding. It does come from reputable sources otherwise I wouldn't be sharing it, but of course even the most reputable of sources can't be totally trusted in chaotic moments)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1