RMweb

Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

That building is superb and really sets the scene.

As Glasgow trams are my second love, the pic is no 203 on page 113 of ‘The Twilight Years of the Glasgow Tram’. Loved seeing it again along with the pics of Eastwood and Thornliebank where my grand parents lived. Really enjoyed spending every summer up there in the school holidays.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, memories. When I was about 10 years old, around 1960,  I was with my mother waiting on Cathedral Station bridge for the bus back to where we lived. I was able to see through the ornamental ironwork on the bridge papapet down into the Queen Street station throat. Waiting to depart with the Queen of Scots pullman was A2  60537 Bachelors Button - it's the first "namer" I can remember seeing - so it could be legitimately used on your layout.

After the station throat was reorganised in the late 1960's/early 70's, the platform lengths weren't long enough to hold a class 40 or 45 at each end of the train without blocking the station throat. The solution was to detach the train engine at Eastfield and replace it with the banker, usually a class 21/29, that took the train down the Cowlairs incline into Queen Street. The train engine would then follow, light engine and couple up to the train ready for the outward journey. This procedure was definitely used for the North Briton to Leeds and I seem to recall it being used on Aberdeen trains too, The North Briton was Class 45 hauled in those days. Aberdeen trains were Class 40's.

I also recall going on a Scottish Region mystery tour from Queen Street. The train was divided into two portions one part leaving from platform 1, the other from Platform 2. At Eastfield the two portions were combined and we went off to Whitley Bay behind a class 27 as far as Edinburgh, where a class 40 took over.  The return journey got us into Glasgow about 10pm and the train was routed through Springburn and High Street  into the low level platforms, rather than down the Cowlairs incline.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2020 at 01:33, jools1959 said:

I know it would be highly unlikely but would Class 17 Clayton’s ever appeared at Queen Street?  Is it possible that they could have brought a parcels train in or some vans or general goods into the goods yard?

Well Jools, I resisted for over a year! I have succumbed though and bought a Class 17. Very nice it is too.

Cheers

David

20210408_144744.jpg

20210408_144815.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

A real 'tour de force' David, your budding GQS layout. Super trackwork over the station throat, and that work on the fanlight station screen is fantastic, as is the building from Brian. I have one brief memory of GQS from summer 1963, when I was sent to Glasgow with a senior colleague, to do a week of sales presentation work on a new range. We were staying at the NB Hotel, and I remember my colleague 'let me off' late one afternoon, to get the train to Edinburgh so I could spend most of the evening with my girlfriend there. My rail journey by that date was by DMU, sad to say. Best wishes for your further - and hopefully steady - progress. I have very recently created a thread on my own layout, a rail-connected dairy bottling plant on he west side of Edinburgh, and less than half a mile from the old steam shed at Dalry Raod (64C). 'Merchiston Dairy' is the title, but it's just an introductory description so far. I am trying to find out how to post one or two photos to make it a bit more interesting, although the layout is in its quite early stages. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

A real 'tour de force' David, your budding GQS layout. Super trackwork over the station throat, and that work on the fanlight station screen is fantastic, as is the building from Brian. I have one brief memory of GQS from summer 1963, when I was sent to Glasgow with a senior colleague, to do a week of sales presentation work on a new range. We were staying at the NB Hotel, and I remember my colleague 'let me off' late one afternoon, to get the train to Edinburgh so I could spend most of the evening with my girlfriend there. My rail journey by that date was by DMU, sad to say. Best wishes for your further - and hopefully steady - progress. I have very recently created a thread on my own layout, a rail-connected dairy bottling plant on he west side of Edinburgh, and less than half a mile from the old steam shed at Dalry Raod (64C). 'Merchiston Dairy' is the title, but it's just an introductory description so far. I am trying to find out how to post one or two photos to make it a bit more interesting, although the layout is in its quite early stages. 

Edited by David Bell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MacDuff999 said:

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Progress will be steady as you say not least because I have two other projects on the go. I am doing an O gauge shed layout called Little Allerton (thread in the 7mm section) and I have just started a diorama of Embo station in Gauge 3( thread in Scratchbuilding and Kitbuilding under the title Dornoch Train)

Cheers

David

PS use the Add Files function at the bottom of your post to add photos

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, David Bell said:

The cat is out the bag now! Brian's next commission is to do the North British Hotel, or at least the western half of it.

Can't wait to see that develop.

David

Neither can we David. It should be amazing.

• 1 month later...

This is the latest addition to the roster. A flight of fancy perhaps which never visited Rannoch or GQS.

However I am reliably informed it is the first train I was ever in as a baby in my pram, rattling the three or so miles from Grangemouth to Falkirk in the sixties.

Cheers

David

20210610_094327.jpg

20210610_094256.jpg

• Like 9

A better excuse to excercise rule 1 I’ve not heard. A lovely model and rather poignant for you. Will you be fitting models of you and your family on board? 

• Funny 1

7 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

A better excuse to excercise rule 1 I’ve not heard. A lovely model and rather poignant for you. Will you be fitting models of you and your family on board? 

A mum and a baby in a pram could be included! And the driver of course. I think that could be described as a full train! Given how noisy and uncomfortable these railbusses were you wonder I might have chosen a different obsession?

Running one through Rannoch is a bit of a stretch but not completely crazy. They did run on the southern end of the WHL on the Arrochar - Craigendoran service for a short time 

3 hours ago, David Bell said:

A mum and a baby in a pram could be included! And the driver of course. I think that could be described as a full train! Given how noisy and uncomfortable these railbusses were you wonder I might have chosen a different obsession?

Running one through Rannoch is a bit of a stretch but not completely crazy. They did run on the southern end of the WHL on the Arrochar - Craigendoran service for a short time 

Perhaps some of those services started from GQS ;)

Seriously though you could find a reason to run it. As long as it had the beans to get up Cowlairs. I’ve only been on one once when one came to the Llangollen Railcar Gala. It was a baking hot day and like an oven inside. And I thought Pacers bounced! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

Perhaps some of those services started from GQS ;)

Seriously though you could find a reason to run it. As long as it had the beans to get up Cowlairs. I’ve only been on one once when one came to the Llangollen Railcar Gala. It was a baking hot day and like an oven inside. And I thought Pacers bounced! 

Maybe we would have to give the railcar a banker up Cowlairs, just like the full size trains!

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, David Bell said:

Picked up these tram kits second hand. I cant remember the last time I did a whitemetal kit, must be 30 years!

They would look good running past the entrance to Queen Street on West George Street … now if only someone were to recreate such a scene!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

They would look running past the entrance to Queen Street on West George Street … now if only someone were to recreate such a scene!

I am determined to have reworked the ramp and completed the end of the roof by the time you finish the hotel. I am hoping this will be something of a slow race!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brylonscamel said:

… sounds like someone has just fired the starting pistol!

Sounds like you’re going to be busy David. Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind:-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1