Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

28 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

Great to see this layout starting up again David! It looks like there's still some space for buildings to complete the scene?

Fortunately  I have the services of a talented modeller to fill the spaces

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A Happy Christmas to all of you and all the very best for 2022. Let's hope for a better one.

At the risk of boring you rigid with more pictures of what are essentially plastic boxes here is where we have got to with the platforms! The mk3 is the longest coach I will use so i am using it go establish clearances.

Cheers

David

20211220_193815.jpg

20211220_193926.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Not boring at all David. It’s good to see it coming together. Are your platforms scale length and what do they hold? I know they wernt the longest platforms anyway. 
Looking good.

The longest platform can cope with eight coaches and the banker. Attached are photos from earlier with the Queen of Scots Pullman

20200614_150518.jpg

20200614_150639.jpg

20200614_174157.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Good to see this starting again. I see Jim's Modelmaster resin kits seem to have become a bit more active recently - is an N15 planned as a pilot?

https://modelmaster.uk/876-catalogues-price-lists-modelmaster-locomotive-kits

Yes an N15 is on the cards. I have a pre order in with Modelmaster. I also have an Oxford N7 and a Hornby J83 which I hope to fashion into an N15.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A year or so back I suggested I needed to build a shed to put GQS in and that this would take the form of a self built grounded coach body. After a lot of consideration of different prototypes I have decided it should be a Highland Railway coach, given where we live. I have chosen one which is straight sided so no tumblehome to worry about and it would have been wooden framed too. It is also a little smaller than a modern coach so a bit more manageable. 

It is a six wheel 4 compartment Luggage First/Third Composite. Diag.9. 33 ft long and 8ft wide. 

I spent the last week clearing an area in our garden for it not too far from the house.the sticks show the position of the 4 corners.

20220401_084955.jpg

20220401_090412.jpg

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

I hope you’ll be updating us on the build David. As a former carriage restorer I’m really looking forward to what you create. It’s an ideal home for the layout. Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

I hope you’ll be updating us on the build David. As a former carriage restorer I’m really looking forward to what you create. It’s an ideal home for the layout. Good luck with it.

It'll be an interesting build, Scratchbuilding a coach in 1:1 scale!

25 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Absolutely stunning. I’m tempted to approach Brian myself. He truly is a skilled model maker.

He absolutely is. I have the unenviable task of making some buildings to sit next to the small office. I will have to up my game!

That would be my problem too. I’d be worried how much he would show me up. 
at least you have Brian’s models to study and refer to when you are adding to the scene yourself. Have some faith David, you’re a fine model maker yourself.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, David Bell said:

Moving to the other end of the layout I have made a start on the tunnel mouth

20220404_133045.jpg

Very nice.  Did you manage to get accurate dimensions for the portals, or where these based on observation and "best modelling guesswork"?

I'm planning to get my portals modelled over the coming months.

Edited by 55020

14 hours ago, 55020 said:

Very nice.  Did you manage to get accurate dimensions for the portals, or where these based on observation and "best modelling guesswork"?

I'm planning to get my portals modelled over the coming months.

I did not have accurate dimensions. However once I set the width of the cutting (noting that the walls are quite close to the trains)it became obvious that the tunnel portals had to be as small as I could make them whilst still being big enough for the trains so they kind of evolved by themselves.  In my first attempt i made them too big and could not fit them side by side in the space available.

The width of the base is 25cm. The tunnel centre lines ar 12 cm apart and the height of the tunnel on the centre line is 78mm