Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

That trackwork is lovely. I have some work to do on mine. I have to  rework the platform 2 road. It has a kink in it which does not work caused by using proprietary points and trying to fit it all in one side of a baseboard joint. All fixable though!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Not good news I’m afraid. 
I had been trying to repair deterioration to the trackwork and wiring caused by the baseboards getting soaked a couple of years ago then being stored in a damp garage for 12 months. Also damage repairs caused by 2 house moves. However, for every issue rectified, I would discover more issues (1 step forward and 3 back) 

It got to the point where I was getting so disheartened after a session working on the layout, I wouldn’t touch it again for a month. 
for my own sanity and at risk of losing interest in the hobby completely, I have decided to mothball the project for now and concentrate on a small inglenook type project to give me a sense of achievement and something to actually run some stock on.

Regards.

Bill. 

This is a great shame, the trackwork looks the part and is instantly recognisable as the Queen Street of the 1970's and 80's that I remember. Whilst we are not aware of the extent of the damage problem, it does not appear that far away from being a usable layout. It is always a challenge to maintain motivation and focus when building a layout of any significant size. Personally I have found it essential to have the ability to simpy 'play trains' from time to time as a distraction away from the challenge and stresses of construction. I wonder if this might work for you?, it would be great to see this alternative Queen Street progress to its own thread.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, young37215 said:

This is a great shame, the trackwork looks the part and is instantly recognisable as the Queen Street of the 1970's and 80's that I remember. Whilst we are not aware of the extent of the damage problem, it does not appear that far away from being a usable layout. It is always a challenge to maintain motivation and focus when building a layout of any significant size. Personally I have found it essential to have the ability to simpy 'play trains' from time to time as a distraction away from the challenge and stresses of construction. I wonder if this might work for you?, it would be great to see this alternative Queen Street progress to its own thread.  

Hi Rob. 
that is my hope, to get a simple project up and running to get the motivation going again and have the ability to “play trains” then start to revisit P4 GQS. 
last piece of work carried out was to check platform 1 road for integrity of all soldered joints, add the Colin Craig 3D printed cosmetic Mills clips, then a coat of primer. 
I do find your West Highland layout a good source of motivation and always look forward to updates posted up. 
Time to get back on topic and enjoying David’s build!!
Cheers

Bill 

B7902107-15B0-4882-909E-9629499720E4.jpeg

AE42C5AE-482E-437D-B0A6-44EB607B5BCD.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, David Bell said:

I did make a start about 18 months ago then set it aside

20201030_110302.jpg

That’s going to use a fair bit of brass!! 
next material shortage and price hike will be because all the brass supply has gone into building your roof!!

Cheers. 
Bill. 

• Funny 1

21 minutes ago, billywhizz said:

Hi Rob. 
that is my hope, to get a simple project up and running to get the motivation going again and have the ability to “play trains” then start to revisit P4 GQS. 
last piece of work carried out was to check platform 1 road for integrity of all soldered joints, add the Colin Craig 3D printed cosmetic Mills clips, then a coat of primer. 
I do find your West Highland layout a good source of motivation and always look forward to updates posted up. 
Time to get back on topic and enjoying David’s build!!
Cheers

Bill 

B7902107-15B0-4882-909E-9629499720E4.jpeg

AE42C5AE-482E-437D-B0A6-44EB607B5BCD.jpeg

It worked for me.i did not touch GQS for a year and instead built a diorama of my local station, Embo, in Gauge 3 on the back of an old door

20211009_114322.jpg

20211001_134718.jpg

20211009_114357.jpg

• Like 8

It is one step forward and two back on the coach. The first picture shows the site marked out with the positions of 18 posts on which the coach will sit. However I have come to the conclusion this spot is too boggy. In fact it is sopping wet! The second picture is of the new site, lots of clearing required!

In the meantime two more bridge abutments for the layout are being constructed. These will be at each end of the Cathedral Street bridge which runs across the front of the North face of the roof. The bridge is 4ft long and rests on six parallel trusses so i have 24 feet of truss to make (plus one more for the Holmhead Street bridge). That should send me cross eyed! 

20220517_151431.jpg

20220517_151322.jpg

20220517_151243.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Away from building bridge trusses which is on going, this morning I made an attempt at fabricating the twin signal that hangs from Cathedral Street bridge above platforms 3/4. I have no intent to make these particular signals operational. I used Ratio parts. 

Cheers

David

20220525_155325.jpg

20220525_155438.jpg

20220525_155818.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2022 at 16:18, David Bell said:

Away from building bridge trusses which is on going, this morning I made an attempt at fabricating the twin signal that hangs from Cathedral Street bridge above platforms 3/4. I have no intent to make these particular signals operational. I used Ratio parts. 

Cheers

David

20220525_155325.jpg

20220525_155438.jpg

20220525_155818.jpg

Very nice work, David, overall and on details like this. 

Might I make a suggestion regarding the signals? Whilst working versions of these signals might, understandably, be a bridge too far (sorry!), I’d suggest it might be advantageous to at least make them poseable, for photographic purposes?

Best

Scott. 

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Very nice work, David, overall and on details like this. 

Might I make a suggestion regarding the signals? Whilst working versions of these signals might, understandably, be a bridge too far (sorry!), I’d suggest it might be advantages to at least make them possible, for photographic purposes?

Best

Scott. 

Hi Scott,

I agree. Most of the signals will either be operable by servo or at least moveable. I don't envisage having all the 18 signals on the gantry servo operated but I hope to have perhaps three outgoing and three incoming operable and all movable. The other platform end signals will be operable. I was not so concerned with these under the bridge or the couple that are under the roof. I assume these are repeaters so the banking crews know when the main signals are pulled off from their position at the buffer stops.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

9 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Hi David. 
the girders and gantry look absolutely spot on!! 
Cheers,

Bill. 

Thanks Bill.

I am really happy with the way it is coming together. I have to adjust one of the abutments on the bridge, a slight geometry failure! But easily fixed.

Cheers

David

Edited by David Bell

David,

What a fantastic project! Such a shame so many pictures were lost in the great server meltdown.   I used to visit Glasgow in the 1980s (holidays) and once had the treat of being taken around Eastfield depot. I look forward to more updates.

Btw what stonework are you using in tgat lovely cutting?

Duncan

4 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

Those roof trusses look great. Are they the ones visible on my photo?

37022 at GQS.jpg

It's a bridge truss, the overall roof is in the background, starts right after the bridge.

But they are the ones in the photo

Edited by woodenhead
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drduncan said:

David,

What a fantastic project! Such a shame so many pictures were lost in the great server meltdown.   I used to visit Glasgow in the 1980s (holidays) and once had the treat of being taken around Eastfield depot. I look forward to more updates.

Btw what stonework are you using in tgat lovely cutting?

Duncan

It's Slaters 7mm dressed stone. Not perfect but a pretty good match

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, David Bell said:

I coloured and weathered one side of the cutting. This is what it looks like now

20220615_113353.jpg

Stunning, captures the atmosphere of Queen street brilliantly!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1