RMweb

Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

29 minutes ago, pwr said:

Another example of poor quality control!   I have to say its not unique to Hornby. Dapol and Heljan both have their problems

Paul R

What is your understand of quality control? Do you think they test every single item? The wire may have come adrift while it was being packed. We simply don’t know. It sounds like a one off as there isn’t hoards of people reporting the same issue.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, pwr said:

Another example of poor quality control!   I have to say its not unique to Hornby. Dapol and Heljan both have their problems

Paul R

18 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

What is your understand of quality control? Do you think they test every single item? The wire may have come adrift while it was being packed. We simply don’t know. It sounds like a one off as there isn’t hoards of people reporting the same issue.

I find solder breakages to be much more common in modern RTR because of the plethora of fine (i.e. fiddly and small) wiring (long gone the days of a single tag lead or wire in Lima or Hornby models!). In recent years I have had to sort out a Bachmann 150, a Realtrack 143, Hornby VEP and 56.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

That’s not so much a lack of quality control it’s a lack of development testing if a part that is going to go through occasional/constant movement fails due to a lack of a secure fixing, be it soldering, snap fit or fastened.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

I had it less than two hours then devalued it.

51856569957_63362758cb_b.jpg

I noticed on the parts sheet the nose was a separate moulding, and wondered about using a Kadee behind the nose for a bit of recovery work, as you have dismantled it how are the front/rear lamps connected to the main loom?

16 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I noticed on the parts sheet the nose was a separate moulding, and wondered about using a Kadee behind the nose for a bit of recovery work, as you have dismantled it how are the front/rear lamps connected to the main loom?

This may help. The lighting panel will need some electrical modifications to allow the nose to come off

51856570257_246f1d2a1c_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I find solder breakages to be much more common in modern RTR because of the plethora of fine (i.e. fiddly and small) wiring (long gone the days of a single tag lead or wire in Lima or Hornby models!). In recent years I have had to sort out a Bachmann 150, a Realtrack 143, Hornby VEP and 56.

Compounded by the requirement for lead free solder. I find that such solders from the far east are not as good as versions sourced in the EU (RS Components etc)

• Agree 4

Had a problem with my 7 car APT I thought it was the motor which had burnt out but just got the vehicle back from Hornby and it was actually the capacitor. Extremely fast repair and turn around with postage to be refunded. brought direct from Hornby who honored the pre-order price well done Hornby all round

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

This may help. The lighting panel will need some electrical modifications to allow the nose to come off

51856570257_246f1d2a1c_b.jpg

It strikes me that with a magnet or two inside the shell at the outer edges in each of the three places would allow the nose to be posed open or closed and a blanking plate, 3D print anyone?, with the buffers on could also pop in on the same magnets. If you could make it clip around the boss would be useful for hauling a set by a wire loop coupling too :)

Pic copyright Wolf27 as quote above. 
FCB235B0-5FE8-49B4-8F2D-95A9E332BFA2.jpeg.f694f6c6350eb05c57ef0fa20b1ecbe5.jpeg

43 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It strikes me that with a magnet or two inside the shell at the outer edges in each of the three places would allow the nose to be posed open or closed and a blanking plate, 3D print anyone?, with the buffers on could also pop in on the same magnets. If you could make it clip around the boss would be useful for hauling a set by a wire loop coupling too :)

Pic copyright Wolf27 as quote above. 
FCB235B0-5FE8-49B4-8F2D-95A9E332BFA2.jpeg.f694f6c6350eb05c57ef0fa20b1ecbe5.jpeg

That’s sort of the plan 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you modify the circuit board with wipers to connect it hidden by a dummy coupling plate in the raised position you could do away with the wires. 
Sprung wipers where the n’s are and new contact pads where the o’s are?

AD290B8C-ACCB-43A5-A0C9-CD03E49A2A02.jpeg.76cd58ef67c506fd11cb17adef6e9353.jpeg

42 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

If you modify the circuit board with wipers to connect it hidden by a dummy coupling plate in the raised position you could do away with the wires. 
Sprung wipers where the n’s are and new contact pads where the o’s are?

AD290B8C-ACCB-43A5-A0C9-CD03E49A2A02.jpeg.76cd58ef67c506fd11cb17adef6e9353.jpeg

That is also part of the plan.

With apologies for the construction site that is my house (!), here is a video I've taken of my APT power car on my boy's work-in-progress DC layout. Anyone experienced anything like this degree of slowing on corners? If so, is there an obvious fix? 

Thank you! 

32 minutes ago, MoonM said:

With apologies for the construction site that is my house (!), here is a video I've taken of my APT power car on my boy's work-in-progress DC layout. Anyone experienced anything like this degree of slowing on corners? If so, is there an obvious fix? 

Thank you! 

Not had this problem myself but

1 ) is it run in yet?

2) does it happen both directions and with the car placed both ways round?

3) 2nd or 3rd rad curves? 

6 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

Not had this problem myself but

1 ) is it run in yet?

2) does it happen both directions and with the car placed both ways round?

3) 2nd or 3rd rad curves? 

Been fully run in on a rolling road. Occurs in both directions and appears to get a little slower each lap. It's on Hornby r609 (3rd radius). 

• RMweb Gold

For some reason this topic has stopped showing in VNC for me. Any suggestions @AY Mod? Have I managed to click something?

Edit: And now I've added a new comment it's showing again... out of bananas error, Redo from Start

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

38 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

Omg gutting, damage report?

No damage. Which is quite surprising, pans and couplings all good. Back up and   running 15 minutes later. It was a dog strike. Caused by trespassing. And the dog doesn’t has PTS

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Wolf27 said:

No damage. Which is quite surprising, pans and couplings all good. Back up and   running 15 minutes later. It was a dog strike. Caused by trespassing. And the dog doesn’t has PTS

Glad no damage, I'd be looking at putting some kind of derailment guards around the track if I were you. I had to add derailment barriers around Dagworth after a Mainline 56 went straight on at one end!

Andi

29 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Glad no damage, I'd be looking at putting some kind of derailment guards around the track if I were you. I had to add derailment barriers around Dagworth after a Mainline 56 went straight on at one end!

Andi

I may do, it’s only happened once before in this spot and I think that was dog related as well.