Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

23 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

What is your understand of quality control? Do you think they test every single item? The wire may have come adrift while it was being packed. We simply don’t know. It sounds like a one off as there isn’t hoards of people reporting the same issue.

My reference is to the fact that so many models from most of the major manufacturers have bits falling off or have fallen off when taken out of the box. Sure some of this may have happened in transport (Heljan O gauge 47) and some may be bad design - Hornby MK3 DVT light leakage, but I have bouight numerous wagons only to find problems  with couplings, missing bearings and faulty wheelsets.

It happens too often just to be a one off.

Paul R

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MoonM said:

Been fully run in on a rolling road. Occurs in both directions and appears to get a little slower each lap. It's on Hornby r609 (3rd radius). 

My lone NDM runs around my Trix-C 2nd and 3rd curves with ease, yours sound very “geary” close up.

43 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

My lone NDM runs around my Trix-C 2nd and 3rd curves with ease, yours sound very “geary” close up.

That's helpful to see that it appears mine is an outlier. Tmc is my retailer here and they say they'll have a look for me. They've always been good if I've had an issue, just don't like to return if the issue is me (ie either they're all like that or something I can quickly adjust myself to sort the issue)! It is on the noisy side and hasn't gone away after a few hours running in on the rolling road. My other thought was maybe back to backs are too wide hindering cornering? 

34 minutes ago, MoonM said:

That's helpful to see that it appears mine is an outlier. Tmc is my retailer here and they say they'll have a look for me. They've always been good if I've had an issue, just don't like to return if the issue is me (ie either they're all like that or something I can quickly adjust myself to sort the issue)! It is on the noisy side and hasn't gone away after a few hours running in on the rolling road. My other thought was maybe back to backs are too wide hindering cornering? 

Sory to hear you are having problems,  check that the wheels on both bogies are powered. Some NDM have had the cardan shaft disconnect to one of the bogies (this was the case with mine)

You get rough running sounds and lack of power.

• Thanks 1

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I am looking to add a coach pack to my 7 car train pack.

Is the information given in the Hornby 2020 catalogue correct, that the A version of each coach pack is matched to the R3874 7 car train pack?

I am thinking about the TRBS pack, so wanted to check that I need the R40012A pacck to match my R3874 train pack?

Many Thanks

Edited by AshleyH
Typos

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, AshleyH said:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I am looking to add a coach pack to my 7 car train pack.

Is the information given in the Hornby 2020 catalogue correct, that the A version of each coach pack is matched to the R3874 7 car train pack?

I am thinking about the TRBS pack, so wanted to check that I need the R40012A oack to match my R3874 train ack?

Many Thanks

8F548D85-C9D5-4F25-A061-FE21E4402465.jpeg.e5bd91bb293daf9f4f663d58b5a87c05.jpeg

Yep

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MoonM said:

Mine is quiet also, not silent but very acceptable…..it’s been DCC’d with a Zimo chip.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

8F548D85-C9D5-4F25-A061-FE21E4402465.jpeg.e5bd91bb293daf9f4f663d58b5a87c05.jpeg

Yep

That's the combination of sets I have. 

Something I have noticed with the above diagram is it shows the NDM pantographs as back to back. I was pretty sure these should be at opposite ends to each other.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, E100 said:

That's the combination of sets I have. 

Something I have noticed with the above diagram is it shows the NDM pantographs as back to back. I was pretty sure these should be at opposite ends to each other.

Yes they should and if you put the ndm’s the right way round for the livery they are :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Mine is quiet also, not silent but very acceptable…..it’s been DCC’d with a Zimo chip.

Snap. Quite happy with it now that I have got used to the fiddly couplings.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2022 at 15:14, boxbrownie said:

May I ask what Zimo have you used? Will probably stick a non-sound decoder in mine for a while to test it all before I hack them all apart for sound and better lighting.

Thanks,

Roy

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

May I ask what Zimo have you used? Will probably stick a non-sound decoder in mine for a while to test it all before I hack them all apart for sound and better lighting.

Thanks,

Roy

MX600…..8 pin of course.  I just bought the cheapest/best quality I knew for testing.

• Thanks 1

I got my 7 car set today to go with the 8 coaches. One powered NDM copes with the full 14 car rake on my flat layout and 26in radius curves. But only just.

The couplings between the NDMs and the coaches, yeah a little bit fiddly I suppose but anyone with a 4-CEP will find them really easy!

Pantos are up or down with no possible setting in between.

Overall better than the 1980s version and better than DJMs one (well, it never made it out of the CAD stage). 

But not to Rapido standards by long way! Bit of a curates egg really. Nice to have a full APT afterall these years but could have been better in many small areas. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would recommend the the west hill wagon works couplings,  a 2 minute replacement that saves trying to use the supplied couplers. As an aside keep an eye on the window wipers had one fall off and it was my son who spotted on the layout, I would never have found it! The light bar in the driving car is the same as the ones in the extra coaches but the capacitor is hidden behind the cab, I've taken mine out so there are spares available!

13 hours ago, scumcat said:

So I emailed west hill wagon works last weekend to tell them I felt the APT hunts couplings are unusable and got no answer. So I politely asked again on Wednesday still no reply. Has anyone else had difficulty with email replies from this company before?

Is there a phone number ? If so…

Hi All,

I have ordered a pack of Hunt couplings for the APT & they have arrived today.

I see they are different lengths, but unfortunately no instructions on what coupling goes on which vehicle….

Can anyone advise on this?

I am collecting my Hornby APT this afternoon so was planning to fit these this evening so if anyone could help it would be most appreciated.

Also, if additional coach packs are ordered I am quite happy to order another pack from West Hill Wagon Works, however, which variant of these Hunt couplings would be used?

As a footnote, on their website I saw it said for third radius & above.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

I see they are different lengths, but unfortunately no instructions on what coupling goes on which vehicle….

pg 104 by miles

On 30/01/2022 at 15:05, miles73128 said:

My Hunt couplings are fine on 4th. Have you got the right ones in order? Took me a while to work it out; MDM had the medium, TBF the long and the U the tiny small ones. Hope it works for you. 

1 hour ago, CB Rail said:

Also, if additional coach packs are ordered I am quite happy to order another pack from West Hill Wagon Works, however, which variant of these Hunt couplings would be used?

The extra packs are added by the articulated bogies so just insert between the driving trailers and TBF so no couplings at all. 

• Like 1

Received and fitted my Hurst couplings today. The ndm ones are shorter than the Hornby equivalent, but not by much. My ndms are able to negotiate 3rd radius curves and points without fouling. As a precaution, I did modify them slightly, by elongating the locating hole, using a round file and elongating at the end furthest from the magnet. As the Hornby locating screws are shouldered, they don't foul the elongated hole. This gives a small amount of backwards/forwards movement of those couplings.

I was concerned with the couplings for the TBF and Development coaches, as the magnet hit the body or bogie crosspiece respectively, giving limited side to side movement. I increased the sideways movement by reducing the depth of plastic material at the rear of the magnet, and filing a curve to each side. This made quite a difference to the amount of sideways movement of the couplings for those two coaches.

4 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

I am collecting my Hornby APT this afternoon so was planning to fit these this evening so if anyone could help it would be most appreciated.

The longest couplings (2) are for the two TBF coaches (one for each coach), the middle length couplings (4) are for the NDM (sufficient for two ndms) and the shortest (2) are for the Developmental coach.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, that's another dead NDM for everybody's count. Had three on the go on DC to run them in again after sitting a week and noticed one significantly slower than the other two. Investigation on a rolling then released smoking Genie and that was that. Back to Hornby!

Neil.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 minutes ago, zoomer1979 said:

Well, that's another dead NDM for everybody's count. Had three on the go on DC to run them in again after sitting a week and noticed one significantly slower than the other two. Investigation on a rolling then released smoking Genie and that was that. Back to Hornby!

Neil.

counting, counting, counting :D

Makes me wonder if it's actually wise to run full sets with one power car - the motors must be maxed out especially when run at high speeds ?